Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 C4S PDK failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 06:39 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Any word if new or refurbed PDKs are improved or is the risk of failure the same?
If the PDK fails again which warranty covers it? And what about the half year gap where the PDK warranty expires but the CarMax warranty has not yet expired?
Old 03-28-2018, 08:05 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Maxcare should cover PDK replacement.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:36 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts
Default PDK Concerns

After reading the pdk breakdowns and how much they cost to repair, I am thinking that there should be a time to sell.
I'm not able to afford a $14,000 pdk replacement and my 09 4S Cab has 72K miles. I too drive it in manual and sport as standard auto has it's drawbacks and specifically the quick pdk upshifts that have you in 7th gear doing 35 mph. Not a great gear to be in at that speed. That in itself has me downshifting to 4th in the automatic mode. Then up it goes again to 7th gear doing 35 or 40mph. Long and short of it is that I have to consider how long I keep it and roll the dice on the pdk continueing to be a good working transmission.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:14 AM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sure we'll see lots of PDK's with a 100k miles on them. On the flip side, you'll see a few instances like mine that had to be replaced at 11k miles.
I've spoken to people both inside Porsche (who have no reason to lie to me), as well as very respected independent P shops, and personally I've reached the conclusion these are very reliable units. As mentioned above, there's also a lot of people racing PDKs as well, with great reliability.

Yes, they are expensive when they do go bad, but I'm comfortable enough with their reliability that I'm not going to be losing any sleep over it.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:47 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
Any word if new or refurbed PDKs are improved or is the risk of failure the same?
If the PDK fails again which warranty covers it? And what about the half year gap where the PDK warranty expires but the CarMax warranty has not yet expired?
Who knows. They all have all the electronic components that seem to be the reason for most if not all failures. I've been stranded with both PDK cars I've owned due to "Emergency transmission run" or whatever that warning says. The -09 C4S incident resulted in replacement and the recent incident in the -11 GTS was somehow fixed by the dealership. Was told that the PDK for whatever reason went into "limp mode" which they were able to reset without taking anything apart. All has been good since (about two moths ago).
Old 03-29-2018, 05:24 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by andy92782
Individual results may vary. Not everyone "needs" an extended warranty.
PDK failure cost is significant, it's pretty wise to have won with some large deductible (costs less), in case it fails.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:29 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Who knows. They all have all the electronic components that seem to be the reason for most if not all failures. I've been stranded with both PDK cars I've owned due to "Emergency transmission run" or whatever that warning says. The -09 C4S incident resulted in replacement and the recent incident in the -11 GTS was somehow fixed by the dealership. Was told that the PDK for whatever reason went into "limp mode" which they were able to reset without taking anything apart. All has been good since (about two moths ago).
That's what PISSES ME OFF, why the heck they've designed the PDK to be a fully sealed, so a $10 temp sensor failure could make a whole transmission fail, requiring replacement! Pretty dumb IMO, but then again Porsche only cares about the first 4yrs of warranty, and not long term repair-ability of their parts!

As long as PDK architecture remains the same, with no access to change a sensor, or service it, it will be prone to failures and super costly in the long run!
Old 03-30-2018, 01:13 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
That's what PISSES ME OFF, why the heck they've designed the PDK to be a fully sealed, so a $10 temp sensor failure could make a whole transmission fail, requiring replacement! Pretty dumb IMO, but then again Porsche only cares about the first 4yrs of warranty, and not long term repair-ability of their parts!

As long as PDK architecture remains the same, with no access to change a sensor, or service it, it will be prone to failures and super costly in the long run!
Sums it up nicely. When the PDK in my -09 C4S had to be replaced. the fault code they pulled pointed to an electronic component but not which one. Wouldn't have mattered since they're not allowed to open it up anyway. My service advisor said almost word for word what you said above. "Could be a $10 or $20 component but we can't get to it so it's a $14,000 replacement instead". Mine was covered by warranty but a lot of PDK cars are out there with no warranty at this point. Wonder how many of them are aware of this nonsense.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:44 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by fc3
Hola amigos-

To the OP:

1 - What did the dealer say was the problem?

​​​​​​​2 - Dealers have records... did the previous owner do the required PDK service?

Quick Reply: 2010 C4S PDK failure