Sponsored by:

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 12:23 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts
Default What should I do?

My new to me 997.2 has 75,000 miles on it and I decided to change out the tranny fluid. Yes it is a 6MT and the manual recommends Mobilube PTX. No problems with shifting whatsoever. I just like to redo all fluids when I purchase a car. So I ordered 3 liters of it from Sunset Porsche. It came in and I got the car all ready, up on stands and drained the fluid. I then opened the package and there are three bottles full of fluid, but just barely over the 800ml mark in each. The car takes 3 liters to be full, but with the amount in the bottles there is probably only 2.5 liters in there. Now of course I will go back to Sunset and say hey what is up. The real question is should I drive it or let it sit? How critical is that other missing half liter? Thanks.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:53 AM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I measure my fluids as I put them in. I wouldn't trust the markings molded into a plastic jug--especially when changing once-in-a-lifetime fluids like MT fluid. Drain the new fluid. Measure it and pour it back in. You probably have three liters. Don't forget to drain, flush, and refill your windshield washer reservoir with fresh 997.360.155.30
Old 03-18-2018, 01:08 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

If you have any of that old oil left in a clean catch pan.... you could use a few mLs to top off any deficit you may have from the ~3L purchased from Sunset. I would not drive it with the trans fluid underfilled.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:47 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,154 Likes on 3,923 Posts

Make sure you're filling through the proper hole - there are two of them and one is higher than the other. When I did mine, it took all 3 bottles and wasn't full, and from other posts, it should not have taken the full 3 bottles. That's when I discovered the other lower hole and when I opened that plug, sure enough, about 0.3 L came out so you should really only need 2.7 or 2.8 liters, and probably not the full 3.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:26 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I was hoping that there was enough fluid even though the bottles were not full. I did make sure that I filled from the lower hole. Once I let the car down on level ground I was hoping it would dribble out of the hole, which it did not. So it is low, but since I do not have a lift I do not know how low. I have an email into Sunset Porsche so hopefully they will do the right thing and send me half a liter.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:03 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,413 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by jeebus31
If you have any of that old oil left in a clean catch pan.... you could use a few mLs to top off any deficit you may have from the ~3L purchased from Sunset. I would not drive it with the trans fluid underfilled.
+1

First, measure the stuff they sent to you using an accurate measurement tool...... (I would use a pyrex baking measure cup) ... if deficient then call them of course. Otherwise, you will be fine. If there is no dribble from the lower hole (don't open the upper) after all three are in, then stick an allen key in there, the bent part down and you will be able to see how deficient it is. Then, if you are unhappy, then put a bit of the effuent back in.... it will be a tiny amount if any. I did just this.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: What should I do?