Sponsored by:

Remove steering wheel center

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 02:31 PM
johnmav
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove steering wheel center

Everyone, i have gone through the posts and multiple YouTube videos. I have an 09 C2S with a manual. I want to remove the steering wheel airbag and ring around it to paint the surround When i place a screwdriver in the hole under the wheel i can feel a click but no matter how much I pull on it the unit doesn't move. Any thoughts?
Old 03-18-2018, 07:12 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 289 Likes on 172 Posts

Try pushing on the airbag a little while you insert screw driver from the bottom. I don't recall using a screw driver though. Think I used a large Allen key but regardless, pushing at the top and jiggling a little popped the airbag out. Thinking circular airbag. Don't know about the others.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:26 PM
johnmav
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by workhurts
Try pushing on the airbag a little while you insert screw driver from the bottom. I don't recall using a screw driver though. Think I used a large Allen key but regardless, pushing at the top and jiggling a little popped the airbag out. Thinking circular airbag. Don't know about the others.
Thanks workhurts. I tried an Allen key as well, felt the same click. Will try pushing the airbag in to see if that does it.

It is the light grey around the airbag I am looking to change the color of.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Maybe the round airbag wheel is different, but on the .1 triangular airbag wheel there are 2 holes in the back, one on each side, and I don't think you can access them without turning the wheel 90 degrees.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:39 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

don't use an allen. use a screwdriver.... widest you can get in the hole. easier if you turn wheel 180 so hole is on top. need driver to be exactly perpendicular to the wheel to hit the retaining wire or you may miss it. push hard and bang your other hand on the steering wheel rim a couple times to shake any of the stubborn hooks loose. you're probably just facing a bit of friction.

Quick Reply: Remove steering wheel center