997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak from top of PDK transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018 | 10:33 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

For 20 years, up until the 997.2, all cars had switch problems. So you have a lot of cars suffering a common problem that had an easy learning curve.

None of that applies to the PDK.

I suspect there would be an entrepreneur out there who would be advertising his/her services of there were enough problems to make it worthwhile.

OTOH, it seems like most reported problems have been electrical ... parts that may be heavily controlled and that may not be easily sourced.
Old 03-22-2018 | 12:04 AM
Presto
Pro

Problem is there are no replacement parts available. I have found one shop in my area who claims they have repaired pdk transmissions. They basically buy non working pdk gearboxes and use them for parts. Few things like breather valves and some small parts are shared by other car gearboxes as well.
Old 03-22-2018 | 01:25 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
For 20 years, up until the 997.2, all cars had switch problems. So you have a lot of cars suffering a common problem that had an easy learning curve.

None of that applies to the PDK.

I suspect there would be an entrepreneur out there who would be advertising his/her services of there were enough problems to make it worthwhile.

OTOH, it seems like most reported problems have been electrical ... parts that may be heavily controlled and that may not be easily sourced.
Exactly. When the PDK on my -09 C4S failed the fault code my dealer pulled pointed to something electronically related. My service advisor said that's been the case with every failure he's seen so far. Not one single failure that indicated any kind of mechanical issue. He also said that they can take the unit apart and could probably figure out what's needed to fix it but he echoed what you said - would be a waste of time since they couldn't get the part or parts needed anyway.
Old 07-14-2021 | 03:59 PM
JChaveiro
1st Gear

@Presto did you ever solve your vent valve leak, went to the dealership and they said it requires a gearbox change.
But as it is a small leak they told me to have them check the pdk oil level everytime I take the car for service.
Old 08-04-2021 | 05:39 PM
.dusk//
6th Gear

@Presto
Hello~
Since the pictures in your original post aren't showing up. Wondering if you still had those. Wanted something to compare with.
I noticed when I looked at mine the vent valve was cover in dirt crusted oil and evidence that there was some kind of leak for probably quite some time; and hey I didn't know it was blue color. Anyway, it was all down the driver's side of the trans but it wasn't like wet, just slightly greasy dirt build up when I somewhat cleaned it off. What I wiped off was like black dirt/crap with a hint of golden color, but maybe my eyes are just playing tricks on me.
Curious also to what you did. And maybe figure what my next steps would be.
I only looked at mine after getting a "Transmission temprature too high" message flash on; I was getting off the track after a cool down lap. Then the second it came up I had just finish a run at autocross. Both times the message came up and then disappeared within a minute or so. Grabbed codes off with Durametric but they were weird incomplete codes only 4 digits:
17F0 and 17F1 both say "Transmission overtemper" and that was it.
Posted the codes in another thread about PDK. Just curious if any of you guys might've run into this as well.
Thanks!
Old 08-05-2021 | 05:11 AM
Presto
Pro

Pictures uploaded below
https://imgur.com/a/RFpLCvq

All i did to fix the issue was drain the differential oil and refill the correct amount as per the owners manual. Previous owner had changed the oil and i think the tech working on it overfilled it.
I regularly check it and no leaks till date

Last edited by Presto; 08-05-2021 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-28-2021 | 03:12 PM
.dusk//
6th Gear

@Presto
Great, thank you for the link to the pictures.
Good to hear it was fine after that👍
The following users liked this post:
Presto (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021 | 07:13 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by docdrs
not 100% sure , but I think you want the car running, run it thru each gear for 10 secs, put in park running , then fill again till comes out to get proper amount. Did you open the fill hole first ?and did any come out before your drained?
Required for 991.1 on but not 997 as it does not have a transmission gear oil heat exchanger. However, it certainly does not hurt anything to do it anyway just to be on the safe side.

Quick Reply: Oil leak from top of PDK transmission