Sponsored by:

Oil leak from top of PDK transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 11:18 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Oil leak from top of PDK transmission

I dropped my engine and tranny to trace an oil leak. Found out its leaking from some sort of vent valve on the top of the PDK transmission.

Can anyone shed some light on what exactly this is or how its leaking? Could it be the PDK clutch fluid was overfilled? Or the differential fluid (automatic transmission fluid)?

Pics attached
https://imgur.com/a/RFpLCvq

Update: It was the diff fluid which was overfilled. Drained it and filled the correct amount and no leaks since.

Last edited by Presto; 08-05-2021 at 05:12 AM. Reason: update
Old 03-17-2018, 12:59 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

I think its almost impossible to overfill the clutch fluid as you need a piwis to get the last .5 litres in. So it must be the gear oil. how many miles on the car and was the gear oil ever changed? You would think there would be more oil around the vent
Old 03-17-2018, 02:08 PM
Presto
Pro

After taking a look at the below PDK diagram, it definitely looks like its the gear oil (mobilube ptx 3.12 quarts factory fill) and not the pdk fluid. 51k miles, Not sure if previous owner changed the gear oil.

I drained it and filled 2.85 quarts (car on flat surface, pumped oil in till it started leaking out of fill hole) now just to be on the safe side.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:17 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

not 100% sure , but I think you want the car running, run it thru each gear for 10 secs, put in park running , then fill again till comes out to get proper amount. Did you open the fill hole first ?and did any come out before your drained?
Old 03-17-2018, 11:46 PM
Presto
Pro

Originally Posted by docdrs
not 100% sure , but I think you want the car running, run it thru each gear for 10 secs, put in park running , then fill again till comes out to get proper amount. Did you open the fill hole first ?and did any come out before your drained?
Yes fill hole opened first. Nothing came out probably because everything leaked out of that vent valve up top.
Oil residue all over underbody components, the plastic undertray cover and transmission housing.
Will be spending quite sometime cleaning it all.

Service manual does not mention to start car and run thru gears for this fluid. That's only for pdk clutch fluid while monitoring temperature etc.
​​​​​
​​
Old 03-18-2018, 12:31 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Presto
Yes fill hole opened first. Nothing came out probably because everything leaked out of that vent valve up top.
Oil residue all over underbody components, the plastic undertray cover and transmission housing.
Will be spending quite sometime cleaning it all.

Service manual does not mention to start car and run thru gears for this fluid. That's only for pdk clutch fluid while monitoring temperature etc.
​​​​​
​​
yes , I know its for the clutch fluid , but the service manual is kind of vague for the gear fluid from what I could tell.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:43 AM
Presto
Pro

Asked around and pretty much no one seems to know why the oil would leak from the top. So I just cleaned it all up. Made sure the fluid was not overfilled.
it is also nearing the pdk clutch fluid and filter change mileage. So that will be done soon.

Last edited by Presto; 08-05-2021 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:08 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Asked around and pretty much no one seems to know why the oil would leak from the top. So I just cleaned it all up. Made sure the fluid was not overfilled and put the engine and tranny back. Will monitor for leaks but my gut tells me it will leak again when car sees some track or canyon runs.
it is also nearing the pdk clutch fluid and filter change mileage. So that will be done soon.
Is your car under warranty? Pretty sure you know why I'm asking.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:23 AM
Presto
Pro

Haha warranty . If I had warranty I would not have paid an indy to drop engine and gearbox.
Anyway whenever I figure out how to stop leak or fix this I'll come back and report. Maybe it will help others.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:21 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

How dirty was the oil that came out? Although it doesnt look dirty around the breather.Ford Edges had transfer case breather cap leaking issues too. The channel below the cap would get sludge build up then leak oil. I could never figure out why. The sludge must block the breather cap hole/ channels, then pressure build up and heat and oil flying around must get spit out. Then the case cools ,sludge hardens, and process occurs again...... fix is to change the oil frequently to prevent sludge build up. Tracking may be a contributer?

Last edited by docdrs; 03-19-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:36 AM
Presto
Pro

Differential oil was quite clean. Still had the golden hue and not black.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:22 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Haha warranty . If I had warranty I would not have paid an indy to drop engine and gearbox.
Anyway whenever I figure out how to stop leak or fix this I'll come back and report. Maybe it will help others.
Hope you figure it out. And of course it will help others. As you probably know, not even the dealers, never mind indys know much if anything about what to do with PDK issues so it's outright replacement more often than not whenever there's a problem. It's got nothing to do with lack of skill or capability but has everything to do with Porsche's refusal to share the information and guidance needed. Never heard a good explanation for this behavior so it's all about what's more profitable for Porsche. Why provide Porsche techs around the world with the tools and information needed to take the PDK apart and fix them when you can instead leave the owner of the car with no choice but to replace the whole unit for around $12K?
Old 03-21-2018, 07:34 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

Also curious why no shop has dove in and become a PDK repair expert? I assume the manufacturer of the PDK must be able to repair them if they build them?
Old 03-21-2018, 08:47 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,145 Likes on 727 Posts

I suspect of you divide the number of out of warranty PDK repairs by the number of shops in the country there hasn't been much incentive by any individual shop to invest the required time.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:17 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

I agree, but there seems to be an expert for every other aspect of the car, there is a 20 page thread on replacing climate control ***** spanning years. It seems weird on such a performance oriented car everyone just threw up their hands?

Quick Reply: Oil leak from top of PDK transmission