Sponsored by:

New 997.2 Owner needs new rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 06:35 PM
CS4Maytag50
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 997.2 Owner needs new rear tires

Hi All, new 2012 CS owner and new rennlister. Recently picked up a Black 2012 CS w/55k on the odometer. Had a PPI performed, all checked out (never tracked) and took it home. I knew the rear tires needed replacing before the purchase so I need of some advice. The previous owner had recently replaced the front tires (235/35-19) with Bridgestone RE-11's and left the worn OEM P-Zero rears (305/30-19) installed so currently riding on mismatched sets of tires. The car drives great even with the mismatched sets but the cabin roadnoise from worn rear P-Zero's is horrendous on less than perfect pavement. I've done a lot of reading and it's been said that the new Michelin PS4S tires are considered the best balance of performance with the least amount of interior cabin roadnoise. The front RE-11's still have plenty of tread left with maybe not even 5k miles on them. Would it be ok to replace the worn rear P-Zeros with Michelin PS4S's and keeping the RE-11's up for front until needing front replacements? I don't ever plan on tracking the car and I'd like to quiet down the cabin roadnoise a bit, I can install new RE-11's on the rear (RE-11's all around) but I'm pretty sure the PS4S's are quieter I just don't know how significant the difference is between the 2. Can somebody who's had experience on both please comment regarding the cabin roadnoise differences. And what's everybody's opinions if I should or shouldn't mismatch brands even if it's just for maybe 6mos.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:56 PM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Depends on your driving, for some people the rears wear twice as fast as the fronts. So...
If money is no problem just go 4S all around
Or just replace the rears, and all four may expire around the same time. If you're not pushing the car, you probably won't notice the difference in performance characteristics of the tires.

Can't chime in on road noise of RE11's

Congratulations on your car
Old 03-15-2018, 06:58 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

On a rwd, i dont see why would it be a problem. I just would not do that on awd vehicle. Id say go for it.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:03 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Congrats on the new Porsche. You're big pimping now, all new Michelins, all around!!
Sell the fronts on eBay or here on RL. Make sure to get an alignment and such along with the new tires. It was first thing I did after I picked up my 2011S, and the diff was day and night.
T
Old 03-15-2018, 07:04 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CS4Maytag50
Hi All, new 2012 CS owner and new rennlister. Recently picked up a Black 2012 CS w/55k on the odometer. Had a PPI performed, all checked out (never tracked) and took it home. I knew the rear tires needed replacing before the purchase so I need of some advice. The previous owner had recently replaced the front tires (235/35-19) with Bridgestone RE-11's and left the worn OEM P-Zero rears (305/30-19) installed so currently riding on mismatched sets of tires. The car drives great even with the mismatched sets but the cabin roadnoise from worn rear P-Zero's is horrendous on less than perfect pavement. I've done a lot of reading and it's been said that the new Michelin PS4S tires are considered the best balance of performance with the least amount of interior cabin roadnoise. The front RE-11's still have plenty of tread left with maybe not even 5k miles on them. Would it be ok to replace the worn rear P-Zeros with Michelin PS4S's and keeping the RE-11's up for front until needing front replacements? I don't ever plan on tracking the car and I'd like to quiet down the cabin roadnoise a bit, I can install new RE-11's on the rear (RE-11's all around) but I'm pretty sure the PS4S's are quieter I just don't know how significant the difference is between the 2. Can somebody who's had experience on both please comment regarding the cabin roadnoise differences. And what's everybody's opinions if I should or shouldn't mismatch brands even if it's just for maybe 6mos.
It's a little confusing from your post - do you have a C2S or a C4S? The 305's in the rear might indicate a C4S.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:19 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

If you are competing and trying to shave 1/10s off your times, you may find some differences in tires. Whether your preference is a Pirelli over a Toyo, or a Michelin over a Conti, youre probably not going to tell any difference from day to day.
Simply, Bridgestones are good quality tires and get good mileage, I would put 2 new ones on the rear and be done with it. You are going to get noise from every tire you own as soon as they start wearing. Go by the wheel size as to the tire size you put on them.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:24 PM
CS4Maytag50
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 2012 C2S, the original owner did some tasteful upgrades and custom wheels were part of the package.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:37 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

I can't comment on the Bridgestones, but going from the N spec Michelins to the Michelin 4S is pretty dramatic, they are much smoother, although they are still very new to me, they seem to have less road noise in cabin.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:52 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

I just bought a 997.1 C2S last month and had the same situation as you. The previous owner had 265/35/19 Pilot Sports MY06 (looked new condition with a lot of tread left) in the front and PS2's (driver side MY11 and passenger MY16) in the rear 305/30/19. I swapped the fronts with new PS4S MY16 and will swap out the rear before the summer.

Michelin recommends new tires every 5 yrs so 11 yrs on the fronts made the car feel more bumps since the rubber stiffened up over the years. The 4S' has less road noise and much better grip then the old tires but that's mostly due to the age of the tires.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:43 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have yet to hear a 997 with reduced tire noise on (less than) perfect roads. Regarding front v rear wear, I get 2.5-3x the mileage from the fronts. I have yet to mount Michelins on my 997. Every time I have switched to Michelin in the past the turn-in feels different.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:05 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

It's a 2012 C2S, the original owner did some tasteful upgrades and custom wheels were part of the package.
Nice. Darth Vader's Porsche!
Great looking car.
T
Old 03-15-2018, 10:54 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Re RE-11's are a track focused tire. Do yourself a favor and buy all new tires. Some people have issues with mismatched sets.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:48 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I am about to do the same

When I bought the 997 5 months ago, I noticed that the front tires (ContiSportContact 235/35/19) were from 2010.
Although they have plenty of tread left, my indie has now recommended to replace them since he couldn't get the alignment 100% right due to the condition of the front tires.
I will be switching to PS4's for the front now.

The rear tires (295/30/19) are also ContiSportContact's, but with a 2015 dot code.
When these go below the minimum tread, I will also replace them with PS4's.

My indie said it makes near to no difference on a RWD if you run mixed tires (provided of course that you have the same tires on one axle).
Old 03-16-2018, 08:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Do not run mixed tires unless you never plan to take your car out in the rain. In the dry the grip differential will be minimal but once you reduce the friction level with the introduction of rain, the handing characteristic differences can be significant.

My front go 2.5 to 3x the rear too so trying to use those new fronts on the car until they're worn out means you'll have them for a long time. Get 4 new ones.

Also, anyone running tires more than 5 years old on a car that easily goes beyond 100 mph is crazy - all it takes is one shallow pothole or some road debris to cause a catastrophic tire failure.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:43 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Do not run mixed tires unless you never plan to take your car out in the rain. In the dry the grip differential will be minimal but once you reduce the friction level with the introduction of rain, the handing characteristic differences can be significant.

My front go 2.5 to 3x the rear too so trying to use those new fronts on the car until they're worn out means you'll have them for a long time. Get 4 new ones.

Also, anyone running tires more than 5 years old on a car that easily goes beyond 100 mph is crazy - all it takes is one shallow pothole or some road debris to cause a catastrophic tire failure.
That might be a bit of an exaggeration...

Michelin themselves say:
If the tires haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tires. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator.
And you can be sure that the tire manufacturers build in a significant safety margin when making these claims.
It is more important to check the actual state of your tires regularly (for cracks, inconsistencies, etc), then to blindly abide by a rule of thumb of - for example - maximum 5/6/7/... years.

Quick Reply: New 997.2 Owner needs new rear tires