Sponsored by:

Cleaning undercarriage

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 09:47 AM
guppychao
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cleaning undercarriage

so I only take the p car out when the roads are dry, however i know the may be some salt residue on the roads. How do you clean the undercarriage? Just spray with the hose, thinking about going to an brushless automatic car wash too. Any advice would be appreciated
Old 03-11-2018, 10:19 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Brushless car washes are fine. I do it all the time. Also, the spray hoses to the wheel wells and undercarriage are fine too, just don't over do it. Nothing will be hurt in the front, but take care in the rear, and in the rear wheel wells.

Note - if you are part of the concour crowd, don't go to any car wash. Do it at home with your own garden hose, low pressure and all of the other good OCD stuff to keep the swirls at bay.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:28 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Touchless is fine, just keep in mind the way they get your car clean is by using very strong chemical cleaners and soaps, so it will most likely strip your wax. However, if you ever have to drive your car in salt or do regularly be sure to get it with the undercarriage wash and then just reapply your wax later. You could also get some of it with a pressure washer at home but due to these cars being so low it doesn't work as well. Not affiliated in any way and I don't have one but if you have a Karcher Pressure Washer you can pick up one of these. https://www.kaercher.com/int/accesso...-26425610.html
Old 03-11-2018, 10:49 AM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Check your local car coin washes. Some have spray systems in the edge of the floor of the bay that start spraying the undersides as you drive in slowly. Check that they use fresh water. Unfortunately, the one near me recycles its water, so salt in solution is re-sprayed on the car.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:46 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

I do two things after the winter salt is gone and washed off the roads by a few good rains.....

1) Drive fast through big puddles. I really do this and it quite entertaining.
2) I have a soap dispenser spray thingy I attach to my garden hose. When I do my first wash of the spring, I spray higher pressure soapy water at stuff in and through the wheel wells.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-11-2018, 01:02 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,775 Likes on 1,756 Posts

I clean mine by driving 100mph in the rain. Ha.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:24 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

wash them anytime with simple green or strong car wash and a rag. If you have time take them off and wash out the sand and dirt and gravel
Old 03-11-2018, 02:41 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Without a lift this is hard to do. Are you looking to remove the panels and then clean because that will allow you to access and rinse better. You could get the car up on jacks but you will end up soaked because you will have to lay on the ground. Even with my lift I get pretty wet. Check around because I know there is a company in the DC area (northern VA) that will do this.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Be very careful with automatic car washes. The tracks that your wheels ride in to advance the car are not really made for our wide and low-profile rear wheels and will scratch the heck out of them. The tracks are low enough where larger SUVs with fairly wide tires the wheels are still above the track line and it just rubs the tire, but not on a 911.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:40 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Be very careful with automatic car washes. The tracks that your wheels ride in to advance the car are not really made for our wide and low-profile rear wheels and will scratch the heck out of them. The tracks are low enough where larger SUVs with fairly wide tires the wheels are still above the track line and it just rubs the tire, but not on a 911.
I'm with Petza914 - My issue is 275 tracks and my 3oo+ tires...
Plus the time it takes to line up, 20 minutes or more, and the lady in front of me doesn't have a ticket, and just quickly runs in to buy her wash, then forgets her purse in her abandoned car and has to run back to pay.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:47 PM
guppychao
Advanced

so i also heard that the touchless car washes are not good for the cabriolet soft top? man o man, i getting too OCD
Old 03-12-2018, 01:01 PM
isthar
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by guppychao
so i also heard that the touchless car washes are not good for the cabriolet soft top? man o man, i getting too OCD
The concern is that the high pressure used will ... let's just say "stress" a soft top and/or water can find its way in/through seams or other points that usually natural rain would not reach. I suppose if some day birds have a field day over your soft top I'd rather just use a touchless car wash than do nothing to it...
Old 03-12-2018, 01:43 PM
guppychao
Advanced

then all the bird poop residue juice will find its way though the seams too

thanks for all the recommendations!!! super appreciated
Old 03-12-2018, 02:02 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

From someone that rides motorcycles, they build up a lot of grease, debris and bugs. I def recommend S100.

I've cleaned my Supra and plan to clean my C2S the same way. If you don't periodically clean those areas, the harder it is to clean later on. I'll take all 4 wheels off and clean the fender wells, brake calipers every month so that it doesn't build up and bake on.

-Put the car on Esco jack stands
-Lay down some tarp underneath the car
-Use a creeper to move around the floor
-I use the HF coveralls and eye protection https://www.harborfreight.com/white-...rge-66348.html
-Start in sections; front bumper to front axle, mid section, rear axle to rear bumper
-I use a combination of soft brushes and sponges to help agitate the areas
-Light water pressure to wash away the grime
-Air compressor to help dry the area and relieve trapped water in tight areas

Old 03-12-2018, 07:25 PM
door2416
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been thinking about buying a water broom. They make them to fit pressure washers and garden hoses. Might have to buy angle fittings to make them spray up instead of down and they are pretty cheap on amazon. (some under $50)

Quick Reply: Cleaning undercarriage