Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 - what module is under the driver seat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:18 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
Is keeping the head unit driven by the desire to maintain an OEM look? Also would you have the ability to use navigation through the head unit with this set up? I went a different direction and replaced the head unit because I wanted navigation and the after market units have so much more functionality the stock. I know some people prefer to do their navigation through their phones but I really feel the phone is a significant safety hazard while used when driving and that was a major reason for me to get a system that has Apple Car Play. I love the to use Siri for text messages. My Mercedes which is new from last year will read text messages but I cannot send messages which I think is nuts so I have to call people back.
OEM look: Yes, that is part of the reason... the other is the integration with car systems. Not all that big of a deal, but I would do this in steps.... I already did speakers (wrong approach).... amp, then head unit. I have had good aftermarket systems in my cars before.... I had everything replaced in my 2000 Boxster S... I even ordered the car from Porsche with the premium system knowing full well I would probably replace it.... back then, the door panels were different with the premium system having bigger cavities and rear cubby-thing for rear speakers. Anywho, I kinda know what sound quality I am looking for.... so I am willing to do this in stages. If I replace the amp and get what I want, then I am done.

Regarding phone integration..... I don't use it. Maybe I would with a better head unit, but the integration with the Becker PCM3 is awful in my opinion. People simply can't hear me very well.... and that is not acceptable at all for me as I may be holding a conference call - while a con call is rare, I do pull off and do this safely especially since I need full brain processing to perform. Also I don't use Becker navigation... everything is Motorola/Droid/Waze/Plantronics/blue tooth. It is rare that anyone on a car blue tooth sounds good on a con call. Texting, calling etc is great on the 'droid.... "Hey knucklehead, call Jamie mobile" or "Hey knuclehead, navigate to the Pub at Penn Valley" (yes ,that is what i named my phone).

Regarding safety or convenience using my phone for maps... yep, it is not good. So I also have the maps sans nav running on the Becker PCM3 screen. Not optimal at all. But.... so yes, have a good head unit that does it all is desireable.... but my number one priority is sound, second is OEM look and integration. Nav etc works well enough with the 'droid.

Peace
Bruce in Phill
Old 03-11-2018, 02:47 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by larrysb
I think I'm going to tear down a Bose MOST amp and see what's in it and how to best leverage what's in the car.

One of the hardest things about MOST is that Oasys/Microchip has the OEM market as their bread and butter and there's little available in the way of tools or semiconductors or evaluation boards to play with. Also, since it is a digital transport that can move isochronous packets like audio, as well as asynchronous data packets, like ethernet, there's plenty of opportunity for proprietary data on the optical loop.

Makes it really hard for aftermarket audio to get in. Honestly, the whole car audio aftermarket is pretty much mired in ancient technology for interconnects and interfacing. The more tightly automakers integrate their head units, the more the aftermarket needs to advance. Pretty much though, aftermarket car audio is still about replacing factory 8-track decks and when faced with more advanced stuff, they pretty much can only say, "rip it all out".

Clarion's full digital systems are really interesting and a fresh approach. The idea that the speaker itself is the D/A converter has been around a while, but it has huge advantages.
Your making it harder than it needs to be. If you want to keep PCM 3.0, then either buy the Audison BIT DMI or Mobridge MOST to TOSLINK convertor. Then buy a DSP unit with TOSLINK inputs/RCA outputs to aftermarket amps. Or, Mobridge sells a DSP with MOST interface built in. You just have to call them up and tell them you have a PCM 3.0 in a 997.2.
If you want an expert opinion on this subject, go see Mike the owner of Audio Design in Santa Clara. He is right across the street from Stevens Creek Porsche. He has a 997.1 with an insane SQ build in it, and he does a ton of Porsche installs. He will be the first to tell you that a DSP in a 911 is a must, due to the car's crazy acoustics. Good DSPs are cheap nowadays. I have a $400 JL Audio DSP in my Toyota Tundra, and it made all the difference in the world.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:01 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Haven’t read all comments but the seat control module is under the drivers seat, at least on RHD cars.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:25 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Actually, I think I'd like to ditch the PCM 3.0 for something more modern, and keep the rest of the car as intact as possible. While my PCM 3.0/Bose seems to be in good shape and working, I'd like to have up-to-date maps, a reverse camera at a minimum. Ideally, better integration with modern devices, like CarPlay and better sound. Doesn't have to be super loud, but I have to say, the base (base!) sound system in my Transit Connect wagon sounds a lot better than the Bose in my 2011 Cabrio. That's pretty sad.

It is possible to update the PCM 3 maps, and it is possible to add an aftermarket board inside the PCM for reverse camera. But by the time one pays for just the maps, you can buy a new head unit that has all that built in and does CarPlay.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:30 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by larrysb
Actually, I think I'd like to ditch the PCM 3.0 for something more modern, and keep the rest of the car as intact as possible. While my PCM 3.0/Bose seems to be in good shape and working, I'd like to have up-to-date maps, a reverse camera at a minimum. Ideally, better integration with modern devices, like CarPlay and better sound. Doesn't have to be super loud, but I have to say, the base (base!) sound system in my Transit Connect wagon sounds a lot better than the Bose in my 2011 Cabrio. That's pretty sad.

It is possible to update the PCM 3 maps, and it is possible to add an aftermarket board inside the PCM for reverse camera. But by the time one pays for just the maps, you can buy a new head unit that has all that built in and does CarPlay.
Definitely a good way to go if you don't mind ditching OEM integration. I wish I could go this route, as I miss CarPlay that's in my other car. But I've got the Sport Chrono package in my car, and don't want to lose the Chrono features that are built into the PCM head unit.

FYI, I just had a back up camera installed to work with my PCM 3.0. While not cheap, it does work flawlessly and OEM-like.

Quick Reply: 997.2 - what module is under the driver seat?