Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 - what module is under the driver seat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 04:25 AM
larrysb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 997.2 - what module is under the driver seat?

Busy exploring my new-to-me 2011 997.2 C2S Cab. Although it has a PCM3.0 and Bose, at some point in the past, it had an aftermarket head unit in it and probably a long-gone hidden radar detector.
Was tracing out the leftover wiring from the prior install. Found a cut, purple (not factory) wire in the radio stack that was run down to the module under the drivers seat and spliced into a factory blue wire on that module with a splice tap. Since I don't have a wiring diagram, was wondering what module it is and/or what it might be tapping into? I'd guess reverse for a backup camera, but who knows?

I know the Bose amp module is under the passenger seat.

On the upside, I found two long dead Mophie iPhone chargers, a wireless keyfob to some unknown thing and a $21 under the seats!
Old 03-09-2018, 01:03 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

Sounds like your car is already paying you back. Did you buy from an individual, they might have some insight?
Old 03-09-2018, 02:37 PM
larrysb
Racer

No, I bought it from a Hyundai dealer down the street from my house. The manuals and books were in the glove box, and I did talk to the local indy shop (RMG in Sunnyvale) who did the last couple of services. They stapled a business card and filled in the maintenance logs, so I stopped by their shop to see if they knew the car. Even had pictures in their computer of the last major service.

But the prior radio install remains a mystery. There's a license plate from reverse camera still installed, and a GPS antenna installed under the windshield cowling (probably a Pioneer, but not sure). Looks like the Bose amp and speakers are unmolested, so it probably had some sort of MOST interface installed.

I'm considering replacing the PCM3.0. While it works fine, just updating the maps alone (parts + labor since it requires dealer to unlock/install) will cost as much as a newer HU. Would gain modern stuff like CarPlay, reverse camera and other newer features. Don't have steering wheel controls, but will lose access to a couple of vehicle settings and the Sports Chrono features.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:02 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,649 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by larrysb
No, I bought it from a Hyundai dealer down the street from my house. The manuals and books were in the glove box, and I did talk to the local indy shop (RMG in Sunnyvale) who did the last couple of services. They stapled a business card and filled in the maintenance logs, so I stopped by their shop to see if they knew the car. Even had pictures in their computer of the last major service.

But the prior radio install remains a mystery. There's a license plate from reverse camera still installed, and a GPS antenna installed under the windshield cowling (probably a Pioneer, but not sure). Looks like the Bose amp and speakers are unmolested, so it probably had some sort of MOST interface installed.

I'm considering replacing the PCM3.0. While it works fine, just updating the maps alone (parts + labor since it requires dealer to unlock/install) will cost as much as a newer HU. Would gain modern stuff like CarPlay, reverse camera and other newer features. Don't have steering wheel controls, but will lose access to a couple of vehicle settings and the Sports Chrono features.
There is no MOST interface as of a few months ago. I would check your front trunk for holes or evidence where they mounted the new amplifier. Of course, the new head unit may have been the powering unit... but you never know. There are very few amps that will fit in the odd, small space under the passenger seat.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-09-2018, 05:24 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
There is no MOST interface as of a few months ago. I would check your front trunk for holes or evidence where they mounted the new amplifier. Of course, the new head unit may have been the powering unit... but you never know. There are very few amps that will fit in the odd, small space under the passenger seat.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
not true. THere's plenty of MOST in RCA out interfaces on the market
Old 03-09-2018, 05:26 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Old 03-09-2018, 05:29 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

plenty the go the other way too. This is for a aftermarket HU to MOST amp

https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...e-cayenne.html
Old 03-09-2018, 06:33 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I stand corrected.... these must be new because as of not long ago, there was not adapter for the 997.2 Bose Premium. The Porsche Becker linkage between the head unit and amplifier is proprietary and outputs 5.1 processed signals. Our head units play 5.1 DVD-A discs natively. Interesting.

Anyone actually use one?

The most common product for the pre 997.2 PCM3 was MoBridge and of right now, they don't have one for our cars. http://www.mobridge.us/compatibility...46/13148/13348

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-09-2018, 06:41 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swoardrider
plenty the go the other way too. This is for a aftermarket HU to MOST amp

https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...e-cayenne.html
The vendor does not denote the 997.2 PCM3 2009-20012 as compatible and they don't show a unit on their website that is.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-09-2018, 08:50 PM
larrysb
Racer

Nav-TV indicates the MOST-HUR works on the PCM3.0 997 through 2012. The cheaper ones that Seicane and other China ecosystem makers produce seem to be usable in the 997.2 as well as the earlier models. I bought one from eBay that Seicane had on sale. Wanted to experiment with it and see what is inside of it.

None of the interfaces can "fade" front to back. They all take stereo audio input, not 4-channel. I presume the Bose amp doesn't decode front/rear 5.1 format and instead takes an out-of-band signal over the fiber to control the front-rear gain. I'm guessing they do something similar for the center speaker used for nav voice output.

My Bose amp and wiring and speakers are completely unmolested. No taps, nothing. There's some remnants of a prior HU installation, done by a decent shop. There's a USB port in the cubby (that goes to no where), the aftermarket GPS antenna, the reverse camera license plate frame and a few wires left behind. They did a good job of it and re-installed the factory HU when the car changed hands. The wire in question that I started the thread on appears to go to the module that controls the rear lighting.

When I get the MOST hicky, I'll plug it in and see if the Bose amp likes it. Should be easy to test.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:54 AM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

I stand corrected.... these must be new because as of not long ago, there was not adapter for the 997.2 Bose Premium. The Porsche Becker linkage between the head unit and amplifier is proprietary and outputs 5.1 processed signals. Our head units play 5.1 DVD-A discs natively. Interesting.

Anyone actually use one?

The most common product for the pre 997.2 PCM3 was MoBridge and of right now, they don't have one for our cars. http://www.mobridge.us/compatibility...46/13148/13348

Peace
Bruce in Philly
You have to call MoBridge. They have them for 997.2 PCM3.0. It's just not listed on their website. A few guys over on 6speed forum have them
Old 03-10-2018, 12:58 AM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

If you want to use Audison's high end amps and DSP, you can also get this http://www.audison.eu/products/bit-dmi/ but it's a pricey way to go.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:14 PM
larrysb
Racer

I think I'm going to tear down a Bose MOST amp and see what's in it and how to best leverage what's in the car.

One of the hardest things about MOST is that Oasys/Microchip has the OEM market as their bread and butter and there's little available in the way of tools or semiconductors or evaluation boards to play with. Also, since it is a digital transport that can move isochronous packets like audio, as well as asynchronous data packets, like ethernet, there's plenty of opportunity for proprietary data on the optical loop.

Makes it really hard for aftermarket audio to get in. Honestly, the whole car audio aftermarket is pretty much mired in ancient technology for interconnects and interfacing. The more tightly automakers integrate their head units, the more the aftermarket needs to advance. Pretty much though, aftermarket car audio is still about replacing factory 8-track decks and when faced with more advanced stuff, they pretty much can only say, "rip it all out".

Clarion's full digital systems are really interesting and a fresh approach. The idea that the speaker itself is the D/A converter has been around a while, but it has huge advantages.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:36 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by larrysb
I think I'm going to tear down a Bose MOST amp and see what's in it and how to best leverage what's in the car.

One of the hardest things about MOST is that Oasys/Microchip has the OEM market as their bread and butter and there's little available in the way of tools or semiconductors or evaluation boards to play with. Also, since it is a digital transport that can move isochronous packets like audio, as well as asynchronous data packets, like ethernet, there's plenty of opportunity for proprietary data on the optical loop.

Makes it really hard for aftermarket audio to get in. Honestly, the whole car audio aftermarket is pretty much mired in ancient technology for interconnects and interfacing. The more tightly automakers integrate their head units, the more the aftermarket needs to advance. Pretty much though, aftermarket car audio is still about replacing factory 8-track decks and when faced with more advanced stuff, they pretty much can only say, "rip it all out".

Clarion's full digital systems are really interesting and a fresh approach. The idea that the speaker itself is the D/A converter has been around a while, but it has huge advantages.
Please post what you discover. If I could do one thing, it would be to replace the amp under passenger seat and keep the head unit. Then connect up all those speaker leads under there. There are quite a few.... and then there is the sub in the back... again, an optical hookup to back there.

Few think amplifiers are important.... they are about the most important if the other stuff is at least decent. Becker crammed a ton of processing and multi-channel amplification in that tiny thing... well .... my instincts tell me that is the devil in the mess.

Good luck, there have been many many of us over the years who wanted to make this work. This thread is the first I heard in 6-7 years there was a MOST/HUR device to pull the LF/RF LR/RR (or whatever..) channels. Then comes the other issue of sound..... can a tiny digital to analog converter in these things be any good?

BTW, there is another way, to eliminate that amp..... I read on other forums.. that the Becker head unit has a software switch in it that the dealer can flip... it turns the unit from a Bose Premium 5.1 DVDA system to a "base" system. With the flip of the switch, the optical out is turned off, and the dead LF/RF LR/RR pins become active with four channel analog. I thought hard about pulling that trigger but through other issues, my dealer is pretty clueless about these hidden features and I am not sure I want to go there with them.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-11-2018, 09:28 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If I could do one thing, it would be to replace the amp under passenger seat and keep the head unit.
Is keeping the head unit driven by the desire to maintain an OEM look? Also would you have the ability to use navigation through the head unit with this set up? I went a different direction and replaced the head unit because I wanted navigation and the after market units have so much more functionality the stock. I know some people prefer to do their navigation through their phones but I really feel the phone is a significant safety hazard while used when driving and that was a major reason for me to get a system that has Apple Car Play. I love the to use Siri for text messages. My Mercedes which is new from last year will read text messages but I cannot send messages which I think is nuts so I have to call people back.

Quick Reply: 997.2 - what module is under the driver seat?