Sponsored by:

Rattling/buzzing sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 09:42 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Rattling/buzzing sunroof

Here in the US unless you order a new 911 without the sunroof option, its impossible to find a coupe without the sunroof in the used market. Sure enough my 997.2 coupe comes with the sunroof and the rattling/buzzing noise is driving me nuts. While accelerating between 2000 to 3000rpm, the sunroof buzzes. I can't seem to locate which mechanism is the culprit. I tried lubricating the rails and hinges, but it still acts up. Anybody has a similar issue and found the solution ?
Old 03-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...liner-gap.html

Some help here... maybe. If you press on the panel, does the noise stop?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-08-2018, 11:31 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...liner-gap.html

Some help here... maybe. If you press on the panel, does the noise stop?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thanks for the link. My symptom seems similar. I''ll go through it hoping to pinpoint the problem. I don't know, others might regard the sunroof as a must-have option, but to me, its just one more irritation on an otherwise solid coupe chassis.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have one thing to add to my repairs (after you added some tape under the foam/rubber triangles to increase spring pressure)..... open the roof half way, place your hand on the the crossmember (the cross beam at the back of the roof hole), in the middle, and press up. This will bend the bar up .... not much bend is needed... although you do have to press hard to bend it. This will create a mild, invisible "arc" that will result in uneven pressure across the closed roof panel. It was the last ditch effort I did and finally stopped the noises.

The problem is simple.... when closed, the panel is spring-loaded in the rear to push down and flatten the back of the panel down onto the cross member and thus "sealing" the panel to the inner roof. This spring loading is not strong enough and the panel bounces. Spring pressure is provided in two ways 1) metal springs in the rails, and 2) foam/rubber triangles attached to the metal outer roof that are sandwiched between the inner and outer panel.

There are other reasons for noises such as pieces breaking or falling off so I am not saying all noised are the roof rattling.

I too find the sliding roof of little value.

BTW, run weed wacker line down into the drains in the four corners to keep them clear.

Peace
The following users liked this post:
stevepow (10-05-2021)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:32 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I have one thing to add to my repairs (after you added some tape under the foam/rubber triangles to increase spring pressure)..... open the roof half way, place your hand on the the crossmember (the cross beam at the back of the roof hole), in the middle, and press up. This will bend the bar up .... not much bend is needed... although you do have to press hard to bend it. This will create a mild, invisible "arc" that will result in uneven pressure across the closed roof panel. It was the last ditch effort I did and finally stopped the noises.

The problem is simple.... when closed, the panel is spring-loaded in the rear to push down and flatten the back of the panel down onto the cross member and thus "sealing" the panel to the inner roof. This spring loading is not strong enough and the panel bounces. Spring pressure is provided in two ways 1) metal springs in the rails, and 2) foam/rubber triangles attached to the metal outer roof that are sandwiched between the inner and outer panel.

There are other reasons for noises such as pieces breaking or falling off so I am not saying all noised are the roof rattling.

I too find the sliding roof of little value.

BTW, run weed wacker line down into the drains in the four corners to keep them clear.

Peace
Thanks, I'll take all the hints offered. I don't seem to find the drain holes on the corners. Perhaps mine 997.2 differs from yours.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:52 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by henryting
Thanks, I'll take all the hints offered. I don't seem to find the drain holes on the corners. Perhaps mine 997.2 differs from yours.
They are the same.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...leaning-2.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...lp-please.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-15-2023, 01:35 AM
atwong1
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 97 Likes on 55 Posts

I know we all love the roar of our engines, but those annoying rattles and noises? Not so much. I understand how even a small rattle can disturb the joy of the ride.

That's why I put my engineering background to use and created an easy-to-follow guide on how to find and fix those pesky car rattles. It includes a unique set of vibration simulation mp3 files - free to use for everyone. You can simulate the necessary vibrations without having to drive around, making it easier and safer to locate the source of the rattle.

Trust me; you'll love the peace and quiet on your next ride. Check it out! https://9xx.com/products/9xx-vehicle...tion-mp3-files

Last edited by atwong1; 05-15-2023 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Rattling/buzzing sunroof