997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy expensive Texas insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018 | 12:10 AM
ChristyT
Instructor

Default Crazy expensive Texas insurance?

We are moving to the Dallas area soon, and our M4 just got listed as a Dallas car. Premium went up from $91/month to $175 a month! USAA, full coverage. Is this realistic? If so, we may dump the M and also the 911 we are considering buying, and just go back to $10,000 cars that are at liability only for $40/month. $135 a month over liability is crazy for someone in their mid 40's who checks every one of the discount boxes. My husband and I haven't had a claim in over 15 years, and even that was the other guy's fault (ran a red light). It isn't that we can't afford it, but I don't like flushing money down the toilet.

Does anyone else pay these kind of rates? Does anyone have access to a good broker in the area or leads on more affordable companies.
Old 03-07-2018 | 12:13 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Try Geico. They were the least expensive option for me in Texas and significantly so compared to the other companies.
Old 03-07-2018 | 12:30 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Switch companies. Most others are half the price of usaa. They’ve lost me as a customer here in Texas.
Old 03-07-2018 | 02:43 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JAGMAN1
Switch companies. Most others are half the price of usaa. They’ve lost me as a customer here in Texas.
+1. Not sure what happened to USAA. My wife and I used to have everything with them.....cars, house and investment properties we own. Now we have nothing with them. Much better prices elsewhere with equal or better coverage and deductibles. And with very reputable companies too I should add.
Old 03-07-2018 | 08:19 AM
BillNye
Racer

Seems like a good price to me. :shrug:
But rates vary wildly state to state. Mine is known for being expensive.
So, to answer one of your questions, yes, I pay that kind of rate.
Old 03-07-2018 | 12:52 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

AAA for me. Geico was quite a bit higher. Shop around. When I moved to Texas my rates went up significantly.
Old 03-07-2018 | 02:33 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChristyT
We are moving to the Dallas area soon, and our M4 just got listed as a Dallas car. Premium went up from $91/month to $175 a month! USAA, full coverage. Is this realistic? If so, we may dump the M and also the 911 we are considering buying, and just go back to $10,000 cars that are at liability only for $40/month. $135 a month over liability is crazy for someone in their mid 40's who checks every one of the discount boxes. My husband and I haven't had a claim in over 15 years, and even that was the other guy's fault (ran a red light). It isn't that we can't afford it, but I don't like flushing money down the toilet.

Does anyone else pay these kind of rates? Does anyone have access to a good broker in the area or leads on more affordable companies.
Rates also are highly dependent on what neighborhood/zip code you're in. I know someone who moved 1 mile from previous residence and premiums went up 20%. Both higher-end, great neighborhoods...but somewhere in the actuarial tables the new place was (presumably) at higher risk for claims. I have USAA for my 911 (live in Dallas area) and my rate is around $600 per half.
Old 03-07-2018 | 04:55 PM
Raky
Intermediate

I have an 07 Targa 4S and I pay $688 for 6 months thru Geico. This is a 3rd car for me that I only will put 2500 miles on a year. I live in Bellaire, TX. If you go thru Geico you can get reduced rates for owning Berkshire Hathaway stock or by having taken a safe driving class. I don't recall them ever checking though...
Old 03-07-2018 | 04:59 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

You think auto insurance is high in Houston? - wait till you buy a house.
I bought my 997S in December from seller in Houston Texas. Like Florida, homeowners and auto insurance outrageously expensive - He was paying $6000 a year for his homeowners premium on a $400K house. To me that's insane.
Our Allstate policy on our $1.5million house in Seattle is $945 and year.

Houston as well as cities in Florida have inflated homeowners and auto insurance due to the hurricanes and storms - I don't think there is any way around it unless you self insure.
Old 03-07-2018 | 05:14 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Agree with others, shop around.

When I moved from Ohio to AZ I was with progressive, when I called to tell them I was moving they quoted me nearly double. When I asked why, they claimed that AZ was one of the most expensive states for insurance... blah, blah, blah.

I checked rates at a half dozen places and ended up at Geico for less than what I was paying in Ohio. Its crazy how different insurance companies price things so differently.
Old 03-07-2018 | 05:23 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Originally Posted by groovzilla
You think auto insurance is high in Houston? - wait till you buy a house.
I bought my 997S in December from seller in Houston Texas. Like Florida, homeowners and auto insurance outrageously expensive - He was paying $6000 a year for his homeowners premium on a $400K house. To me that's insane.
Our Allstate policy on our $1.5million house in Seattle is $945 and year.

Houston as well as cities in Florida have inflated homeowners and auto insurance due to the hurricanes and storms - I don't think there is any way around it unless you self insure.
I can vouch for this. My auto premiums went up considerably when I moved to Houston and the past several cycles they've bumped them 10% every time. I've tried to shop around, but everyone else is more, or so close that it isn't worth switching. I was thankfully not affected by the recent flooding, but everyone here has technically been affected indirectly by the flooding that has taken place for the past three years.
Old 03-07-2018 | 05:52 PM
guardsred997
Intermediate

That’s high.
we have a 2011 911, 2013 Cayenne S and a 2015 Touareg Executive and pay $300 per month for all 3 with $500 deductibles and full coverage. Oh, and we live in Dallas.

i use a broker and they have been fantastic. They shop around and I have really good insurance. Have been great. PM and I can send you their contact info.
Old 03-07-2018 | 06:06 PM
FZP
Instructor

There are a number of things to consider here. It's all in the tables unfortunately, but may include things like:
1. The data in repair costs of m4s may show the actual cost of repairs is higher than projected.
2. Moving from a nice area to a nicer area may factor in the cost of repairing a Bentley vs a Ford Focus for instance.
3. Length of custom with them. The longer you've been with them the less likely you are to move companies.
Shop around I say
Old 03-08-2018 | 02:46 PM
JABowders
Instructor

Look at what you have via the policy compared to what the State requires. USAA has that third party verify data and I'm not very positive they do a bang up job and may have "accidentally" misrepresented the information that has been provided to them.

I too have USAA all of my vehicles and I pay approximately $2500.00 every 6 months that is $416.67 a month but really you have to break it down to $46.30 per vehicle per month, and if I were to reduce my coverage to state minimums I think it would drop all the way to about $2700.00 a year.

So if you compare different Companies, make sure you take your current policy so they can compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Best of luck with your outcome.
Old 03-14-2018 | 10:36 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Welcome to Texas! A couple things here...

1) Dallas does have very high insurance premiums compared to other areas in the US. A lot of this is due to the recent hail storms AND the population increase/ high number of accidents in the past few years. My premium with Farmers insurance has increased 15%-20% almost every year due to those factors. Believe me, I've gotten quotes from 4-5 other companies thinking Farmers is screwing me but all the quotes have either been about the same or higher than what I am paying. Let me know if you want to speak to my agent.

2) $175/mo for an M4 is high after reading your case. For reference, I got quoted $165/mo for a new GT3 ($175k msrp). Definitely shop around but also look at your deductibles, coverage amount, discounts, etc. In my opinion, low deductibles are not the smartest thing to have, unless it is a major accident, I'd rather not use my insurance since the the increase in premiums due to the claim will cost more than the deductible in the long-term.

Quick Reply: Crazy expensive Texas insurance?