Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

enjoyed ;p
Old 03-03-2018, 11:39 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Robocop305
I bought an Elise SC and my C2S is collecting dust. My 911 feels like a huge Cadillac after driving the Elise.
Yep, the Elise is like driving a little open wheel formula car.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:29 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Yep, the Elise is like driving a little open wheel formula car.
Agree, it's like driving a street legal Gokart, very raw and animalistic. Definitely not for daily use but very fun for weekend fun drives and/or track.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Looks tasty but what about the size of the cabin? I'm 6'3" and can't find a good driving position in either the Boxster or the Cayman. Too cramped. Looking at these pictures it's hard to imagine this being any different.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:25 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Wow, gorgwous! Definitely one of the best looking Elise's I have seen. What suspension are you running?

Old 03-04-2018, 10:59 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I chose between a Lotus and a Porsche before finally deciding for Porsche.

One reason was actually a thread in the Lotus forum where one owner (who came from a Porsche) said his P looked new inside when he traded it back after, let's say 5 years and he said the Lotus he now was driving looked exactly as old as it was (5 years). It didn't age gracefully.

I could think about a Lotus in the future but then it must be more of a track car. The Porsche is a better allrounder IMO. Maybe the usage could be a deciding factor?
Old 03-04-2018, 12:06 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
I chose between a Lotus and a Porsche before finally deciding for Porsche.

One reason was actually a thread in the Lotus forum where one owner (who came from a Porsche) said his P looked new inside when he traded it back after, let's say 5 years and he said the Lotus he now was driving looked exactly as old as it was (5 years). It didn't age gracefully.

I could think about a Lotus in the future but then it must be more of a track car. The Porsche is a better allrounder IMO. Maybe the usage could be a deciding factor?
You can't compare the built quality of both. Definitely, Porsche has a superior built quality. The interior of the Elise or Exige is very plain. The Lotus parts cost a lot less and easy to replace. I bought the Elise for one simple reason, to connect to the road and have lots of fun without braking the bank. Additionally, since they are so rare to see, people are usually fascinated when spotted on the streets.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Hallo777, thanks for the complements. The car currently has KW V2 coilovers. I may go Penske if I ever decide to go serious on the track.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:35 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

You can't compare the built quality of both. Definitely, Porsche has a superior built quality. The interior of the Elise or Exige is very plain. The Lotus parts cost a lot less and easy to replace. I bought the Elise for one simple reason, to connect to the road and have lots of fun without braking the bank. Additionally, since they are so rare to see, people are usually fascinated when spotted on the streets.
Yes and that is what appeals to me for a fun-car. Stripped from most things. Only the essentials. That's why I might end up buying one and was close to buying one. But then it will not be my daily driver or commuter car to work that i use the Porsche for at least a few days a week. It would rather be the curve carving tool for weekend fun and track days.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:24 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
Yes and that is what appeals to me for a fun-car. Stripped from most things. Only the essentials. That's why I might end up buying one and was close to buying one. But then it will not be my daily driver or commuter car to work that i use the Porsche for at least a few days a week. It would rather be the curve carving tool for weekend fun and track days.
I will suggest you buying a normally aspirated one and adding a supercharger of your choice if you desire more power. An NA version is more that plenty fun for most people. You will save lots of money and you will have more purchase option since NA versions are more common, still rare more a little more availability.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:55 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

i killed 3 transmissions and an engine in my Elise. The transmissions were over $17k a piece and the engine was about $25k. All covered under warranty.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:59 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug H

i killed 3 transmissions and an engine in my Elise. The transmissions were over $17k a piece and the engine was about $25k. All covered under warranty.
Are you serious? The 2ZZ engines are dirt cheap and super reliable. You can get a nicely built one for less than $5k from Monkey Wrench Racing.

Last edited by Robocop305; 03-05-2018 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:41 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Are you serious? The 2ZZ engines are dirt cheap and super reliable. You can get a nicely built one for less than $5k from Monkey Wrench Racing.

Not in 2007 through 2009. Have no clue today. 2nd gear synchros went out in all three. Two were used heavily on the track. The third was not. Engine let go on highway. Rod knocked huge hole in block after piston collided with lifter or something very close to the redline.

Just because it is same or similar engine and transmission as Celics GTS, does not mean it will necessary be interchangeable. Lotus balked a couple of times on my transmissions before my dealer and I put pressure on them and they covered them. At the time, I looked into options and there were none except a $17k + transmission. I was told the generic Toyato would not fit or mate with the engine.

A lot of other guys had also looked back then because 2ng gear synchros were failing left and right on these things. The engine let go on highway while accelerating and there was never any concern articulated about warranty coverage, but I saw final bill. Seem like I scanned net and made a few just in case calls and there were no options back then. I did do a search a couple of years ago for replacement engines and transmissions and saw some used for reasonable prices on eBay

My woes are well chronicled on Lotus Talk. I thought they were going to deny last transmission so I went public about how big of a a POS those cars were. David I believe his name was from Atlanta called me and said they would cover if I took that last post down, but I think most of it is still up. That was around March or April 2009. I think I am Doug H on there as well.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:50 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

That must have been issues that occurred years ago. You hardly see anybody today talking about engine failure or issues. You can also find a used drivetrain for less than $5k. Also, I hear drivetrain parts are all available from a Toyota dealership.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo or Lotus Evora S!