Sponsored by:

Need a new battery !

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 08:56 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Need a new battery !

The battery on my 2009 997.2 won't hold its charge even when I hook it up with a charger. Time for a new battery.
Any suggestions are to which one I should buy ?
Does Porsche require the stupidity of BMW that requires registering new batteries after a swap ? Supposedly the BMW requirement is to not over-charge a new battery after registration.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:02 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Pepboys

https://www.pepboys.com/parts/batteries_accessories/automotive_batteries/00840/2006/PORSCHE/911%2520Series/0/6-3800%25203.8L%2520DOHC
Old 02-27-2018, 09:16 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get the biggest battery that will fit in the battery holder and still allow you to bolt it down with the stock hold down and has the vent in the right place. There are I think only 2 battery manufacturers in North America so just get one that has a decent warranty.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:37 PM
Ditchhanger
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I ended up getting a Interstate Mega-Tron Plus (MTP). It costs around $210- $220 (depending on if you return the core). I chose it because it was lighter than most batteries and there wasn't anything that needed to be re-coded.

I looked here and found what I needed:

https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...-to-use-376529
Old 02-27-2018, 10:42 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I've had good luck with the Bosch branded battery at Pep Boys. Whichever you choose, Bosch, Interstate, Die Hard, etc. get size H7/94R - same dimensions as Porsche OEM battery. Here's a link to a Bosch AGM:

https://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...03.8L%2520DOHC
Old 02-28-2018, 12:02 AM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walmart battery, don’t forget to reinstall the clear tubing (some sort of passive exhaust) on the left side of the battery.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:35 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Interstate Megatron Plus here also. First one was put in by an indie not quite 3 years ago, so when I just replaced it I went with the same kind due to the warranty which kicked in for half the cost. Reason it died young was being left to go flat three times for weeks/months at a time at various shops for engine and paintwork.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:50 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

I use Optima batteries in all my cars and boat. Had one in each 997 for years now without issues, but you do have to slip a nut under the appropriate hole in the battery tray (there's not one welded there). Size is 34R and the R means the posts are reversed, which is what you'd need.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:18 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Pep boys for sure, buy the Bosch AGM . Usually on sale and a discount coupon available, free shipping if there is not a store near you, 5 year full warranty
Old 02-28-2018, 06:22 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bomar Shelby
Pep boys for sure, buy the Bosch AGM . Usually on sale and a discount coupon available, free shipping if there is not a store near you, 5 year full warranty
Yep - 25% discount as shown in the link in post #5 above. Great deal.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:19 AM
JWMich
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This one is outstanding:

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-02-2018, 09:24 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JWMich
Great batteries...too bad they don't come in the OEM size (94R/H7/L4).
Old 03-02-2018, 10:17 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 860 Posts

Just throwing this out there.....

I always advocated "cheaper" batteries such as Autozone Duralast Golds.... They always worked well for me and lasted for years and years...... then...... my wife does only short trips to the train.... I started doing short trips in my Porsche (barely using the car lately), and now I am eating batteries. So, I've been exploring more expensive batteries that can stand being left sub-full charge and bobbing up and down. It appears these cheaper batteries can't do that well and now I am looking for a truly "great" battery..... and have been eying the Odyssey batteries touted by Jay Leno. Honestly, from reading these battery posts, I feel like it is an oil post... more religion that fact.

If I can conclude some things about batteries from my own use is that cheap batteries will last seven years if you drive the car and for longer trips.... say putting 20K+ miles a year on your car. If you are puttering around... on/off all the time and not getting a full charge all the time, the battery will die soon. I am willing to pay ... even double... if I can be assured of a battery that can take the up and down drain/charge and will last. Reading a post that says something like "XYZ is a great battery" just doesn't do it for me. .... not convinced.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-02-2018, 10:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Just throwing this out there.....

I always advocated "cheaper" batteries such as Autozone Duralast Golds.... They always worked well for me and lasted for years and years...... then...... my wife does only short trips to the train.... I started doing short trips in my Porsche (barely using the car lately), and now I am eating batteries. So, I've been exploring more expensive batteries that can stand being left sub-full charge and bobbing up and down. It appears these cheaper batteries can't do that well and now I am looking for a truly "great" battery..... and have been eying the Odyssey batteries touted by Jay Leno. Honestly, from reading these battery posts, I feel like it is an oil post... more religion that fact.

If I can conclude some things about batteries from my own use is that cheap batteries will last seven years if you drive the car and for longer trips.... say putting 20K+ miles a year on your car. If you are puttering around... on/off all the time and not getting a full charge all the time, the battery will die soon. I am willing to pay ... even double... if I can be assured of a battery that can take the up and down drain/charge and will last. Reading a post that says something like "XYZ is a great battery" just doesn't do it for me. .... not convinced.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I thought the Odysseys were mostly for smaller, lower capacity, but lighter weight - seems like the wrong direction for your needs. You may need something that's more like a marine deep cycle battery that can handle being very heavily discharged and recharged without damage. I think Optima is coming out with a yellow-top version that fits our cars using the next hole over in the tray with a nut underneath. The yellow tops are supposed to be a hybrid between the red top auto starting battery and the blue top marine battery. That's what I'll be trying next if one of my current red tops goes bad.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...lowtop-battery
Old 03-02-2018, 10:38 AM
JWMich
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Great batteries...too bad they don't come in the OEM size (94R/H7/L4).
Group 48 size fits just fine. This battery is outstanding for the short trip and weekend user.

Quick Reply: Need a new battery !