Sponsored by:

Need a new battery !

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 10:45 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JWMich
Group 48 size fits just fine. This battery is outstanding for the short trip and weekend user.
True - you can make most batteries fit...I was just pointing out that Group 48 does not have the OEM dimensions.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:55 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I thought the Odysseys were mostly for smaller, lower capacity, but lighter weight - seems like the wrong direction for your needs. You may need something that's more like a marine deep cycle battery that can handle being very heavily discharged and recharged without damage. I think Optima is coming out with a yellow-top version that fits our cars using the next hole over in the tray with a nut underneath. The yellow tops are supposed to be a hybrid between the red top auto starting battery and the blue top marine battery. That's what I'll be trying next if one of my current red tops goes bad.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...lowtop-battery
I'm also waiting for the release of the YellowTop H7 - let us know when you find a distributor.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:30 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I just picked up a Duralast Gold battery from Autozone and the sticker on top said “Made in Germany”. LOL
Old 04-06-2018, 10:11 PM
Bleu by you
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery

Just installed optima 34R. I used the Yellowdog mounting bracket. Loosened negative cable to reach, otherwise super easy ,clean install. Doesn’t require vent tube. Significant weight savings.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:17 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Walmart battery in mine. Perfect fit, came with the vent.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:28 PM
msingh5649
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by henryting
The battery on my 2009 997.2 won't hold its charge even when I hook it up with a charger. Time for a new battery.
Any suggestions are to which one I should buy ?
Does Porsche require the stupidity of BMW that requires registering new batteries after a swap ? Supposedly the BMW requirement is to not over-charge a new battery after registration.
Where did you hear that about BMW? Not doubting you but curious how the hell they would even control such a thing...or is that some malarky that a BMW dealer said. Besides which batteries are in general manufactured by only a few companies worldwide, so if they tell you its 'specially made by BMW' I would call BS
Old 04-09-2018, 05:32 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Get an Audi Battery, EXACTLY the same battery as the Porsche sells for half the price!
Old 04-09-2018, 05:37 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

BMW known for giving its owner a hard time on even the simplest task. Firstly, they use sub-standard parts and secondly they treat all BMW owners as fools.

Yes, has been a long time BMW owner and apart from my 997.2, I still drive a 328i, but chances are it my last BMW.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:46 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by henryting
BMW known for giving its owner a hard time on even the simplest task. Firstly, they use sub-standard parts and secondly they treat all BMW owners as fools.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk0FzopRjM0

Yes, has been a long time BMW owner and apart from my 997.2, I still drive a 328i, but chances are it my last BMW.
registering a new battery to the car with a diag tool isnt unique to bmw. Every audi ive had in the past decade also "requires" this although the car will run fie without doing it.

The reasoning behind it does seem rather plausible though. The idea is that the charging system on the vehicle is supposed to work differently on a three-year-old battery then it should work on a brand new battery.

By the way there is no need to actually register the new batteries unique serial number that is found on the battery itself. You can actually just change the serial number by one digit of your old battery and it will reset the systems charging in your car to recognize a new battery. This obviously comes in handy if you are using a non OEM battery replacement that does not have a unique serial number on it

mike

Quick Reply: Need a new battery !