997.2 PDK....Input

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 03:48 PM
Mrrdstr
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 105 Posts
Default 997.2 PDK....Input

Hello all ,

How is the overall market for the PDK in comparison to the manual .2's ?

Thank you in advance for any input
Old 02-19-2018, 04:08 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 210 Likes on 142 Posts

The "overall market"? Meaning what exactly? Availability? Relative cost? Availability for a particular trim?

You'll get different answers here depending primarily on what car folks have purchased. Interesting how personal buy-in impacts perception.
A more accurate answer will be gained by going and looking for yourself on various online sources for car sales. If you gather the for sale data off places like autotrader, cargurus, ebay, cars.com, etc... you'll know exactly what the market looks like. Vs folks on this forum who 9 out of 10 already own one of these cars and are thusly not exactly in the market for one (in order to know the actual current trends)
Old 02-19-2018, 08:02 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,192 Posts

As far as availability, there are more PDK cars out there than manuals. However, finding a manual car is not difficult. Finding one in your desired spec is what is difficult. Same with a PDK car. It took me months to find my ideal PDK car and you will pay for one if you are looking for a specific spec.

Resale, manual will do better if optioned well like a comparable PDK car. People will want the simplicity down the road and the reliability.

Cost, be prepared to pay a bit more but again it all comes down to spec.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:24 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

I suggest doing a car search via the Porsche website and you will have a feel for the market of the pdk 997.2 cars and various spec’d options, etc.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:07 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

PDK is not for everyone. It is nice however.

There are more PDK models than manual models available. My experience is that pricing is comparable, perhaps a bit stronger for manuals, but still comparable. Manuals are tougher to find and therefore move quickly when priced well, but so do PDK models. Someone had a really clean rare build a couple of weeks back, $55,000 for a C2S with 20,000 miles and it sold in an hour. If that were a black on black car and not as clean, it would sit for a couple of weeks. With Porsche, it is all about options, car condition, and previous owner history.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:57 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
As far as availability, there are more PDK cars out there than manuals. However, finding a manual car is not difficult. Finding one in your desired spec is what is difficult. Same with a PDK car. It took me months to find my ideal PDK car and you will pay for one if you are looking for a specific spec.

Resale, manual will do better if optioned well like a comparable PDK car. People will want the simplicity down the road and the reliability.

Cost, be prepared to pay a bit more but again it all comes down to spec.
I hear that a lot around here. Haven't seen any factual evidence that it's true but even if it is, will it last? Both Ferrari and Lamborghini stopped offering manual cars years ago due to lack of demand. Price tends to move in direct proportion to demand so unless buyers of Porsche come from completely different DNA automotive stock than buyers of Ferrari and Lambo, I think it's hard to see why Porsches with an old school transmission that hardly any Ferrari or Lamborghini buyers want anymore will command a premium.

Why Lamborghini Trashed the Manual Transmission

When Ferrari made the move to drop its iconic gated stick shift the Italian automaker boasted that its transmission technology had become so impressive that shifting your own gears was, at best, antiquated and at worst, robbing the car of its performance. With the launch of the new Huracán and retirement of its Gallardo model, rival Lamborghini has now also sold its last stick shift. Their reason: no one cares.

Close to zero percent Gallardos were ordered in manual,” he said. In fact, orders for a manual transmission were so few and far between admits Winkelman that every time one came in they had to go back and re-check the order form, confirming with the dealership that a mistake hadn’t been made.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...nsmission.html
Old 02-20-2018, 02:09 AM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I hear that a lot around here. Haven't seen any factual evidence that it's true but even if it is, will it last? Both Ferrari and Lamborghini stopped offering manual cars years ago due to lack of demand. Price tends to move in direct proportion to demand so unless buyers of Porsche come from completely different DNA automotive stock than buyers of Ferrari and Lambo, I think it's hard to see why Porsches with an old school transmission that hardly any Ferrari or Lamborghini buyers want anymore will command a premium.

Why Lamborghini Trashed the Manual Transmission

When Ferrari made the move to drop its iconic gated stick shift the Italian automaker boasted that its transmission technology had become so impressive that shifting your own gears was, at best, antiquated and at worst, robbing the car of its performance. With the launch of the new Huracán and retirement of its Gallardo model, rival Lamborghini has now also sold its last stick shift. Their reason: no one cares.

Close to zero percent Gallardos were ordered in manual,” he said. In fact, orders for a manual transmission were so few and far between admits Winkelman that every time one came in they had to go back and re-check the order form, confirming with the dealership that a mistake hadn’t been made.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...nsmission.html

That's because most Lambos and Ferrari's are garage queens and posers mobiles - so they want an easy time when they actually do pose around in them at 40 - 50kms ....
Old 02-20-2018, 04:21 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by beetleything
That's because most Lambos and Ferrari's are garage queens and posers mobiles - so they want an easy time when they actually do pose around in them at 40 - 50kms ....

I really don't care either way. Just observing the trend which is hard to ignore.
Porsche has admitted it could be the latest sports car company to phase out the manual gearbox.
With sales of its benchmark PDK dual-clutch automatic transmission accounting for up to 80 percent of the overall volume in its traditional sports car models - the 911 and Cayman - the German sports car brand has admitted the conventional manual gearbox could be dropped within the next few years.

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...214-2efl8.html
Old 02-20-2018, 08:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,760 Likes on 4,301 Posts

I don't think the shift linkage and feel in MT Ferraris and Lambos was very good - iconic yes, but really, not very good. The MT in these Porsches, once a SSK is added, is excellent, and may be a differentiator as to why Porsche owners are still asking for and buying them, vs the other marques. As MTs become more rare, the potential buyer pool will be smaller since people don't know how to drive them, but for those that do know how and want them, we'll pay more for them.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:46 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I don't think the shift linkage and feel in MT Ferraris and Lambos was very good - iconic yes, but really, not very good. The MT in these Porsches, once a SSK is added, is excellent, and may be a differentiator as to why Porsche owners are still asking for and buying them, vs the other marques. As MTs become more rare, the potential buyer pool will be smaller since people don't know how to drive them, but for those that do know how and want them, we'll pay more for them.

I agree with that - just watch a video of Richard Hammond driving some classic Ferrari and he gingerly goes thru that big gate on them - and the PLUS is people will not be able to drive your car as more and more folks are not going to be able to drive a manual or "stick" as they say in North America.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:51 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

That's a great point. I never drove a manual Lambo but did drive a manual, gated 430 and was not impressed. The throws were on the long side and overall feel a bit odd and overall unsatisfying. The 6sp with a SSK on my -06 C4S on the other hand was easily the best manual I've ever driven. Perfect in every respect. Didn't even have the first gear issue that so many complain about.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:30 AM
oslermarine
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll use my recent purchase last week as an example.

2009 C4S launch edition msrp $113k, has the GT2 buckets. Otherwise pretty loaded car with pdk.

29,000 miles with service records
Needed pdk clutch fluid and AWD controller fluid service which my local dealer is doing for $880 out the door.

Purchase price $55,500 after a lot of haggling from list of $60,000 and help from bxtr. After service costs $56,400, preferred a Porsche dealer do the service.

Awesome car! PDK is awesome. Manual is more rare especially if you want certain options. Most manuals I saw were lower spec.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:52 PM
Launch997
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oslermarine
I'll use my recent purchase last week as an example.

2009 C4S launch edition msrp $113k, has the GT2 buckets. Otherwise pretty loaded car with pdk.

29,000 miles with service records
Needed pdk clutch fluid and AWD controller fluid service which my local dealer is doing for $880 out the door.

Purchase price $55,500 after a lot of haggling from list of $60,000 and help from bxtr. After service costs $56,400, preferred a Porsche dealer do the service.

Awesome car! PDK is awesome. Manual is more rare especially if you want certain options. Most manuals I saw were lower spec.
We are twins. I also have a 2009 C4S launch edition. You paid exactly what I did for mine last year, with similar mileage. I agree that it's an awesome car, and I love the PDK.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:46 AM
Mrrdstr
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks for the input
Old 02-25-2018, 08:23 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by beetleything
Lol, that is silly. I am a Porsche car and car guy and used 911 turbos purchased new every 1 to 3 years as my daily drivers since the late 80s and purchased a CGT new in 2005. I have raced 911s in various forms since I was 16 in 83ish and owned 3 GT3 Cup cars.

I became more a of a Ferrari guy in the early 2000s. I was converted by a 355 and a 360 CS and started racing various Ferrari Challenge and hanging out with other Ferrari guys. They are actually car guys too, but just tend to be a little more on the wealthy side and have more cars and more expensive cars and a lot of them still have Porsches in the garage as well. Having multiple sports cars or graduating to more expensive cars does not make one a poser.

My favorite car ever was my 458 street (still have my challenge) that I sold back in May after my wife purchased my DB11 for my 50th birthday present because it stretched my car budget. I won't tell her, but I want my 458 back and like that older car even more than my current 991.2 turbo DD.

Nope. The gated shifter were glorious to drive. Love, love, love driving them after owning a Diablo 6.0, 355 and 360 with manuals. I do not yearn for or miss manual transmissions, especially in the more high end exotics. Paddle shift sequentials iust add to the over all race car, hyper car feel of exotics. We stayed with our friends down in Miami in early February and he let my wife and I drive his manual Murcielago LP640 (1 of about 20 delivered to US) for a couple days and the manual just felt out of place in it, not withstanding a very tight pedal box which was not present in my old Diablo. The shifting was great and the manual was much easier at slow speeds and in traffic and smoother at slow speeds than egear, but it just felt old and place in an exotic car.

The 911 driving experience is very different from the Italians. You don't feel like you are in a high end exotic race car, they are much less high strung feeling and casually rowing gears in them seem more natural and part of the easy going Sunday drive cruising feeling of a 911.

Quick Reply: 997.2 PDK....Input