Sponsored by:

997.2 PDK....Input

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:37 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
That's a great point. I never drove a manual Lambo but did drive a manual, gated 430 and was not impressed. The throws were on the long side and overall feel a bit odd and overall unsatisfying. The 6sp with a SSK on my -06 C4S on the other hand was easily the best manual I've ever driven. Perfect in every respect. Didn't even have the first gear issue that so many complain about.
Once you get used to it and get the rhythm down, both the throw and manner in which the gears seem to click into place was highly satisfying and much more glorious than say a short shifter throw and notchy feel of a 911 manual. I just think the feel of a lazy, Sunday driving manual is diametrically opposed to the high strung race car like feel of modern exotics.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:31 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

I have been driving manual transmissions my entire life. I still have a Mini cooper with a 5 speed. But, the modern automatic transmissions are so much faster and more efficient than a manual transmission. Lots of manufacturers now offer automatics with 7 - 10 gears. In addition, you lose boost when you shift a manual transmission on a turbocharged car.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:48 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Once you get used to it and get the rhythm down, both the throw and manner in which the gears seem to click into place was highly satisfying and much more glorious than say a short shifter throw and notchy feel of a 911 manual. I just think the feel of a lazy, Sunday driving manual is diametrically opposed to the high strung race car like feel of modern exotics.
I buy that. Only spent about 30 minutes in that 430 so it was sort of exploratory. That said, the SSK in my -06 C4S wasn't notchy at all. Smooth and precise. Shifted it with two fingers with ease. The tech who installed my kit has all kinds of certifications and awards from PCNA so very sharp guy. He told me the adjustment of the shifter cables is critical to get it right when installing the SSK. He said a lot of guys do it themselves and you can really screw it up. Probably why it gets a bad rap by many.

Quick Reply: 997.2 PDK....Input