Sponsored by:

To spare or not to spare

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 03:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

With PCCBs my options are less. I carry a radial tire repair kit (plugs). Tires of today are significantly more reliable than ever before. However, catastrophic damage can still occur due to unseen road hazards. Carry a AAA card.

i know this will be strange sounding, but if you go on a long trip, do it with a buddy! Another guy in another Porsche can keep you from being stuck someplace out of cell range. Porsche, like many other auto manufacturers today, had a difficult situation ahead of them. With wheels and tires growing in size, there was soon a limit on where you could store either a spare, or that you just took off the car in the event of a flat. Thanks to FedEx and UPS, we can actually get a replacement tire within a day or two. Twenty years ago we would never have dreamed to buy a car in which a replacement tire was days away from getting to your local tire shop. It would be like owning a Bugatti and $1,000 or more tires! You can't venture far, with such a complex logistics trail.

Or, you simply ignore all of this and simply enjoy the car. For most of us, we're close to dealers and tire shops. Unfortunately, many of us, particularly out in the west, are miles from cell coverage and exotic tire shops or dealers. It was a compromise that Porsche had to make, as you will discover more and more car makers today are deleting spare tires from their cars.

Do a search. We've been talking about this for over ten years on the Rennlist.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:26 PM
JABowders
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have been thinking about getting a spare for my road trips to the races. I had a Front Right Tire separate and go off on its own. I was down south of Charlotte on my way to VIR, and stuck on the side of the road at 16:00ish on a Friday, Porsche Dealership didn't want to even deal with me. I ended up getting a Local Tow Company roll back to tote me off to a local Tire Shop (only 3 miles away) that had really good reviews and they were able to get me back onto the road by 17:30 with two new Fronts.

45 minutes was sitting on the side of the road, I can change a tire be on the road again in 10, but you are helpless when you are without...

Now I know what to look for, thanks.

"Porsche 997, Spare Tire Assembly, 185/60-17"
Old 02-15-2018, 05:35 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JABowders
I have been thinking about getting a spare for my road trips to the races. I had a Front Right Tire separate and go off on its own. I was down south of Charlotte on my way to VIR, and stuck on the side of the road at 16:00ish on a Friday, Porsche Dealership didn't want to even deal with me. I ended up getting a Local Tow Company roll back to tote me off to a local Tire Shop (only 3 miles away) that had really good reviews and they were able to get me back onto the road by 17:30 with two new Fronts.

45 minutes was sitting on the side of the road, I can change a tire be on the road again in 10, but you are helpless when you are without...

Now I know what to look for, thanks.

"Porsche 997, Spare Tire Assembly, 185/60-17"
Search on 996 too.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:47 AM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So I've been considering getting a spare tire for a while now but did not want to pay $1200 for the kit at Suncoast. Some said a 996/986 spare tire would work but several vendors on ebay said they would not work for a 997. I decided to take a chance and got a spare tire, jack, and tool kit on ebay from a 2003 Boxster for $250. The tire/wheel were in excellent shape (other than being 15 years old) and had never been used. I test mounted on my 997.2 S and it is very tight but just cleared the red brake calipers. At least now I have another option in addition to a tire repair kit and AAA. It appears to fit in the frunk but I'll probably keep it behind the drivers seat when I travel since nobody ever sits there anyway.

Maybe a 1/8" between wheel and caliper
Old 07-04-2018, 09:52 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Tiger
So I've been considering getting a spare tire for a while now but did not want to pay $1200 for the kit at Suncoast. Some said a 996/986 spare tire would work but several vendors on ebay said they would not work for a 997. I decided to take a chance and got a spare tire, jack, and tool kit on ebay from a 2003 Boxster for $250. The tire/wheel were in excellent shape (other than being 15 years old) and had never been used. I test mounted on my 997.2 S and it is very tight but just cleared the red brake calipers. At least now I have another option in addition to a tire repair kit and AAA. It appears to fit in the frunk but I'll probably keep it behind the drivers seat when I travel since nobody ever sits there anyway.

Maybe a 1/8" between wheel and caliper
Clearance is clearance. Don't worry about there only being an 1/8". My RUF wheels were super close to my PCCB calipers and I never had an issue.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:58 AM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

"Clearance is clearance. Don't worry about there only being an 1/8". My RUF wheels were super close to my PCCB calipers and I never had an issue."

Thanks, I'll admit it did worry me when I saw just how close it was.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:33 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Too small a clearance you run into the possibility of small rocks/debris and any object that are kicked up getting jammed into the gap. It wouldn't hurt, but it sure will mar your brake calipers.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:52 AM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a spare on my 86 911. I bring it whenever I do long trips on the 997. I am not even sure if it would clear but by the looks of it, looks ok to me.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:28 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That Boxster space saver looks awesome on the C2S...

I recently drove 3000 miles equipped with a tire plug kit, my aluminum 993 jack and a CAA card. It was a risk, but now knowing that the smaller, older kits work vs the $1200 Suncoast kit, I will keep my eye open for a local one up for sale! I wonder if my 993 C4S space saver will clear the brakes... hummm

I love this forum!
Old 07-04-2018, 01:57 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
... It would be like owning a Bugatti and $1,000 or more tires! You can't venture far, with such a complex logistics trail.

Interesting read...
https://jalopnik.com/5534842/why-the...ts-17-million/
The Veyron uses special Michelin PAX tires found on no other car. They were designed specifically for the Bugatti's capabilities and can only be removed from the wheels in France, a process that costs $70,000. The tires themselves cost $17,000 per set.

At 250 mph, the Veyron's tires will last fifteen minutes. Its 26.4-gallon fuel tank goes dry in twelve.

I'm jack, wrench,2x4 to drive my lowered car onto so the jack will fit. Tire goo (with a good date) wrench, tire plugs, air compressor.
Don't carry a spare tire, but leave an off season snow tire at the cottage. So I'm never more than 1 hour away from a spare.
Run flats? Mostly don't like the ride. they are too expensive here. And they only get you 50 miles with no air. 50 miles to or from where. What gas station carries a 275/40/20 or 315/40/20?
Old 07-06-2018, 11:09 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Before undertaking my first lengthy road trip in my C2S Cab, I asked my tire guy. He recommended a plug kit and even showed me how to plug a tire using another customer's old tire (from the recycle pile). That gave me the confidence I needed to carry a plug kit and periodically check my compressor to make sure it was up to snuff. I did not need to exercise my new skill on that trip, but working in an industrial area, I get regular opportunities in my own parking lot with the occasional screw or other metal debris. So far all punctures are in a pluggable part of the tread, and I found I can plug a tire in less time than it used to take me just to get a jack out, let alone a spare tire, and I don't even get very dirty. So I also bought plug kits for my wife's Macan (which has a collapsible spare and jack) and my company van (which has a full-size spare). My strategy is to make the tire hold air long enough to get it to a tire place for a proper patch, but to do so at my own convenience. That said, I once drove on a plug in my RR tire for nearly two years, by which time the tires were worn out anyway so I replaced them. Plug kits + experience using them = confidence.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:54 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leave nothing to chance.... spare engine parts in the frunk, spare transmission in the back seat.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:05 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

There are lots of negatives about center locks, but reading this thread a positive becomes apparent - you don’t really need to worry about having a spare. A patch kit, an AAA card, and a list of shops/dealers than can change a center lock is about the best you can do.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:50 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 860 Posts

Phooey on a spare. Plug it!!! Right there on I80! Plug it! Like a real man.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...p-goo-bad.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-07-2018, 08:26 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another POV - I'd plug or flatbed.

Quick Reply: To spare or not to spare