Sponsored by:

Required preventative maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2024, 07:42 PM
M3Cavalry
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Required preventative maintenance

Got my car’s service history today from the dealer and was rather appalled to see it has only gotten recalls done—it doesn’t appear to have gotten any services done at Porsche dealers.

car has 113k. Blackstone came back with glowing language—no concerns.

Question: what time or mileage-based preventative maintenance is a must? Since purchase I have gotten the motor mounts, brake fluid, water pump + thermostat done among other things.

Thinking spark plugs for sure. What else absolutely needs doing?
Old 08-01-2024, 08:48 PM
TheMurse
Racer

Received 617 Likes on 188 Posts

A lack of dealer-documented service history doesn't preclude service by an indy - but the intervals might be all over the map. In the absence of documentation just assume it didn't happen.

In addition to the list you've already tackled I'd add the following:

Ignition coils
Serpentine belt
Cabin air filter
Engine air filter
Gearbox oil
Brake pads
Brake discs
Brake pad wear sensors
Brake pad retaining clips
TPMS sensors
Shift cable ends (if a manual)
Clutch (if a manual)
Air-oil separator
Oil filler neck (they get brittle and crack)
Belt tensioner and pulleys

As you approach 120k a number of these items will begin to show their age and if they're not an issue now they could become a problem soon.

Suspension is another conversation altogether, there's a decent chance the shocks are doing just fine and won't need attention. On the other hand, 113k is a lot of miles and, while handling might feel just fine, a refresh of critical components can make a world of difference. I'll defer to suspension experts like @Petza914 but I would consider preventative maintenance for all of the running gear to be a worthwhile endeavor at this point.

Good luck and don't forget to post updates of your refresh journey!

Last edited by TheMurse; 08-01-2024 at 08:58 PM. Reason: text
Old 08-01-2024, 08:58 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 806 Likes on 453 Posts

if it didn't have services, the above mentioned items would all be BUSTED and tore up looking.
The following users liked this post:
Hella-Buggin' (08-02-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 10:26 PM
carguy999
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

How often are we servicing AOS? My car is at the dealer for a few things but at this age (20!) and 60k miles I feel like that plastic has to be kinda rough. They told me to not worry about it until I see symptoms.
Old 08-01-2024, 10:36 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Cavalry
it doesn’t appear to have gotten any services done at Porsche dealers.
I mean, likely the previous owner either took it to an independent mechanic or DIY'd it. There's no reason to pay dealer prices.

With any new-to-me used car I'll typically do stuff like all the fluids (oil / brake / transmission / coolant), plugs, belts, air filter, and pollen filter. That way I know where I'm at going forwards. If I have records of any of those items already from the previous owner then I won't do them.

Other stuff I'll inspect and do work as needed. Brake pads and discs you can measure at and see if they're due, but you should have the pad sensors to let you know when the pads are low. Tires I'll check date code, tread depth, and look for any significant age cracking. Battery I'll test and replace if it's in poor condition (or usually just if it's over 5 years).

Some stuff on the list above doesn't make sense to do pre-emptively. Clutch and AOS you just replace when they give you issues (you can test the AOS via a crankcase vacuum measurement if you like). Coils on most cars I won't bother unless the model has some history of issues with them. You can read the TPMS sensor estimated remaining life with a scanner, typically you'd just replace those when you get new tires if they're older than, say, 5 years.

My advice is to find a good independent mechanic, have them do an inspection and see what they think. You do any of the above at the dealer you're going to pay through the nose for no good reason.
Old 08-01-2024, 11:00 PM
da Vinci Dan
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

CarFax?
Old 08-02-2024, 01:27 AM
M3Cavalry
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Fair enough. I figured the car would have received services at a dealer earlier in its life especially while under warranty.

Battery, clutch, brake rotors/pads were done by previous owner according to him. I just had a B12 suspension kit and fresh Michelin PS4s put on as well.

Basically looking for things that’ll strand me w/o warning due to age. For example, in BMW E36 land the coolant expansion tank neck gets brittle and shatters, the rear shocks punch through the shock towers, and the oil pump nut can spin off (had 2/3 happen to me!)
Old 08-02-2024, 08:06 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,730 Likes on 4,282 Posts

At that mileage, all 3 chain tensioners variocam solenoids, and the AOS Probably the control arms as the rubber bushings are likely deteriorated.

On my wife's car at 112k miles this past December I did the engine items above plus plugs and coils. You're probably closing in on a 2nd water pump with the first being needed around 60k miles.

Is shocks show any signs of oily dirt on the outside, those too.and new top mounts and snubbers while doing those as the foam breaks down.
Old 08-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Edcantera
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

I’m at about 117k and have been keeping up with all sorts of stuff over the years (fluids, plugs, coils, water pump & tstat, belt & tens, etc. etc. Man, I’ve got a long list! 😂 ) and am thinking of doing the chain tensioners and the variocam solenoids as well some time later this year. Once it’s not so hot! I’ve even considered doing injectors since they are also original but my fuel trim numbers look good and I only run tier 1 fuel so might wait on those…

I most recently replaced the AOS along with all of the AOS hoses and oil filler neck. All of the plastic had become brittle and needed to go. If you don’t know if it’s been done then add that to a list of things to do at some point as they will inevitably let go.

Last edited by Edcantera; 08-04-2024 at 10:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Required preventative maintenance