Two iPhone-related questions for the 997

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 04:55 PM
blaise
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Two iPhone-related questions for the 997

I have a 2010 997S and two iPhone-related questions:

1) The latest iPhones are too large to fit into the center console while plugged in, necessitating running the cable out of the console. Anyone know of a good way to do this. I run it under the console lid, and the lid closes, but it squeaks a bit now that there’s a cable making one side of it lopsided. Any ideas for a better way to run the cable out of the center console?

2) Anyone have iPhone mounts that they particularly love in a 997?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Blaise
Old 12-28-2017, 05:37 PM
bman_911
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may or may not help but i run my cable through the ashtray. Its easy to pull the center console side panel just enough to push the cable through to the ashtray space. With the right type of cable you can coil it and keep the ashtray closed when it's not in use. I don't have a mount as I have a Kenwood head unit which provides CarPlay, Nav, BT etc so i don't worry about the phone being accessible whilst driving.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:30 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

I pulled the silver guard out from the ashtray, think it was the part you used to extinguish a cigarette. Pulling that gave me another 1/2" or so, now my iPhone 8 plus in a case fits perfectly upright.

I also have a no name vent magnet with the metal plate in-between my phone and case. Sits firmly in line of sight for when I need the map for directions.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:42 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

I use the Steelie system for all our vehicles and other mounting locations. This is the simple vent mount that works very well:

https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Original-Steelie-Mount/dp/B00SG0DW10/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514500439&sr=8-2&keywords=STEELIE®+FREEMOUNT™+VENT+KIT https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Original-Steelie-Mount/dp/B00SG0DW10/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514500439&sr=8-2&keywords=STEELIE®+FREEMOUNT™+VENT+KIT

You will need the actual phone back magnet as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Original-Steelie-Magnetic/dp/B00HC2EY9W/ref=pd_bxgy_107_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XM9E5AKD6VYGF4V9YVJY https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Original-Steelie-Magnetic/dp/B00HC2EY9W/ref=pd_bxgy_107_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XM9E5AKD6VYGF4V9YVJY

Old 12-28-2017, 08:46 PM
SimonSays
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lucky for us, Porsche actually thought about your first question. In my car, I have the proprietary iPod cable plugged in with a 30 pin to lightening/8 pin adapter attached to that, plus a lightning extension cable on top of that. The first few bits fit inside the console when shut, but I feed the extension out of the center console.

Anyways, there’s actually a tab/knub/whatever you wanna call it underneath the upper right corner of the center console lid (it’s circled below in red).

When you close the lid, it creates a gap underneath the plastic console button area (also circled below).

Now, you can feed a cable underneath the plastic button area without pinching it (so long as you don’t shut the cable directly on that little knub bit). You should be able to move your cable freely an inch or two on either side of the knub. Nothing should be lopsided and nothing should creak.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:33 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I use the plug from the passenger footwell but I have a 997.1 so no standard Bluetooth connection.

Its easy to hide the cable from the passenger footwell and you can keep the lid closed.

I use a proclip vent mount for the phone plus a magnetic fastener. Puts the phone in perfect view. The Proclip is rock solid and I can rotate phone freely on the mount
Old 12-29-2017, 10:06 AM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's also the rennline mount if you're so inclined. http://www.rennline.com/ExactFit-Mag...tinfo/PM01.11/

Originally Posted by SimonSays
Anyways, there’s actually a tab/knub/whatever you wanna call it underneath the upper right corner of the center console lid (it’s circled below in red).
When you close the lid, it creates a gap underneath the plastic console button area (also circled below).
Now, you can feed a cable underneath the plastic button area without pinching it (so long as you don’t shut the cable directly on that little knub bit). You should be able to move your cable freely an inch or two on either side of the knub. Nothing should be lopsided and nothing should creak.
Fun fact, these nubs are available individually from the dealer. For whatever reason both of them were missing from my car when I bought it (should have got that PPI) and the lid would bounce up at down. They're <$4ea I think.

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
I use a proclip vent mount for the phone plus a magnetic fastener. Puts the phone in perfect view. The Proclip is rock solid and I can rotate phone freely on the mount
I've been looking at the proclip as one way to mount a laptimer for the track. Looks like the ideal mount for my purposes but can you tell me, is it metal or plastic? If it's made of plastic, how brittle is it?

I essentially never "mount" my phone on the dash and hate how the phone mounts look so ideally I'd like it to be detachable when I'm not at the track. I saw that the proclip is attached with 1 piece of adhesive foam, do you think it's possible to substitute the foam with a small piece of velcro or something else in order to make it removable? Did it seem like you'd be able to attach/detach it multiple times without breaking or deforming it?
Thanks!

Trending Topics

Old 12-29-2017, 01:55 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a mount in the CD drive and a magnetic connection.
works great.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post12910367
Old 12-30-2017, 10:32 AM
blaise
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions! I’m going with a cd slot mount. Looks great.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:33 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bman_911
This may or may not help but i run my cable through the ashtray. Its easy to pull the center console side panel just enough to push the cable through to the ashtray space. With the right type of cable you can coil it and keep the ashtray closed when it's not in use. I don't have a mount as I have a Kenwood head unit which provides CarPlay, Nav, BT etc so i don't worry about the phone being accessible whilst driving.

Apologies, off-topic, bman, but is that a beige interior with the wood trim?!? If so, start a thread and post some pics!

OK, back on topic. I use the passenger seat as my iPhone holder! If my wife is riding shotgun, she gets the honor!

T
Old 12-30-2017, 01:42 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Billnye- It's plastic. Super stable and leaves no marks.

I have magnet mount on it and then I can attach all my gadgets with a plate at the back. Another advantage is that you can rotate them 360 degrees

Quick Reply: Two iPhone-related questions for the 997