Redhot2474
Racer

Default What modification next?

I have a 997.2 c4s PDK :
Things I’ve done so far since owning car:
-gundo with 2” pipe
-wheel spacers
-billy boat center
-fabspeed competition intake(I know lots hate , but I like it)
-softronic ECU
-clear side skirt lights
-H and R springs (more for look)

since the weather has been cold here in CT I try to take it out once a week for fun and to run the car. I’m always amazed how hard It pulls and how well it handles especially when I haven’t driven it in a while. I don’t track the car, I only use it as a second car and use it often outside of winter months. I always like to tinker(pay someone) for fun, but really don’t think it needs much else. Any suggestions what could be “fun” to do next?
Old 12-26-2017 | 10:02 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Red seatbelts and gagues.
Old 12-26-2017 | 10:02 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Well done! Did you get noticeable performance improvement from the new ECU map?

In the past year ive done Eibach springs, RSS spacers a Fister exhaust and a number of interior and cosmetic fixes. Some things on my future list...

1. GT3 throttle body with IPD Plenum and Softronic ECU. The Sharkwerks guys said this was the only performance mod they felt had a material impact.
2. Bilstein B16 coilovers
3. DCS suspension control (not relevant for my car but heard great things)

Let us know what you go with.
Old 12-26-2017 | 10:09 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Well done! Did you get noticeable performance improvement from the new ECU map?

In the past year ive done Eibach springs, RSS spacers a Fister exhaust and a number of interior and cosmetic fixes. Some things on my future list...

1. GT3 throttle body with IPD Plenum and Softronic ECU. The Sharkwerks guys said this was the only performance mod they felt had a material impact.
2. Bilstein B16 coilovers
3. DCS suspension control (not relevant for my car but heard great things)

Let us know what you go with.
Yes, I’d say there was an improvement with ECU upgrade. Huge? Well, that’s debateable, worth 1k? Also debateable, would I do it again ? YES! ECU with intake together definitely helps from 5k+
Old 12-26-2017 | 10:42 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Nice. I wish the 997 would get as big a jump from an ECU remap as the new 991.2. Nick Murray had a good video on it.
Old 12-26-2017 | 10:57 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

That is super interesting...thanks for sharing....
Old 12-27-2017 | 12:12 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lowpue
That is super interesting...thanks for sharing....
I think the customers who paid $50k extra for a 992.2 Turbo are going to find it super interesting too :-) I suspect this could end up in a lawsuit, or very least some bad PR for Porsche. Who needs a "Turbo" when a $2k chip will give you turbo performance?
Old 12-27-2017 | 12:43 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

I think the customers who paid $50k extra for a 992.2 Turbo are going to find it super interesting too :-) I suspect this could end up in a lawsuit, or very least some bad PR for Porsche. Who needs a "Turbo" when a $2k chip will give you turbo performance?
Hardly. Turbo owners aren't going to care about Carrera owners who risk voiding their warranty and putting an unmeasurable amount of extra stress on their engines by way of an ECU flash/chip.
Old 12-27-2017 | 01:38 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
I have a 997.2 c4s PDK :
Things I’ve done so far since owning car:
-gundo with 2” pipe
-wheel spacers
-billy boat center
-fabspeed competition intake(I know lots hate , but I like it)
-softronic ECU
-clear side skirt lights
-H and R springs (more for look)

since the weather has been cold here in CT I try to take it out once a week for fun and to run the car. I’m always amazed how hard It pulls and how well it handles especially when I haven’t driven it in a while. I don’t track the car, I only use it as a second car and use it often outside of winter months. I always like to tinker(pay someone) for fun, but really don’t think it needs much else. Any suggestions what could be “fun” to do next?
Beef up/customize your steering wheel. One of my favorite mods. In your hands and in your face every second you're in the car. Two outfits I'm familiar with and have used in the US:

http://www.dctms.com/product_ST_PCH_997_2.html
http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/sw1.htm

I think some guys have used another one in Europe but can't think of the name of it now.
Old 12-27-2017 | 01:40 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I think some guys have used another outfit in Europe but can't think of the name of it now.
You're thinking of Ledermanz:
View this post on Instagram

And a big +1 for this mod. Your steering wheel is the one part of your car that you're always looking at and touching, so it's definitely worth spending a few bucks to make it look and feel good.
Old 12-27-2017 | 01:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

That's it. Thx.
Old 12-27-2017 | 11:49 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

In addition, what would be even more interesting is how a base Carrera will respond to this tune. Isn't it the same engine for Base vs S. If so, could you get the same final HP with the Base as the S? Now with these turbo engines are the only differences in performance between the cars completely programmable?

This makes the "T" even more interesting...yiou can program S or better performance and you create essentially an R. This is super exciting.

Sorry we are hijacking the 997 thread but the thread really made the possibilities interesting for the 991.2. This coming from a guy who has been resisting Turbo technology. :-)
Old 12-27-2017 | 11:52 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

So by chipping a base 3.0 you have now bested a car with an NA 4.0 from the GT3RS? Someone needs to lay off the eggnog.
Old 12-27-2017 | 12:00 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Default Turbo

It’s not like the turbo can’t be chipped too .....
Old 12-27-2017 | 12:17 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
It’s not like the turbo can’t be chipped too .....
For sure....but the thing that is still super interesting to me is to get the "T" power up..... 370 is disappointing to me...Was probably done to make the R guys feel special. THis option at least gets it closer. To me the more interesting discussion is that Cars of the future will all have programmable performance and the software from manufacuturers who will have more and more security to make it harder to hack. Porsche is following the Tesla business model of programmable performance. Remember, the computer industry did the same thing with processors. Most processors were the same but Intel would burn a bit in the chip to differentiate them. Was extremely profitable because they used the same supply chain and maximized how much they can extract from customers. Porsche will do the same. Same cost to them regardless of model but by giving people with deeper pockets a bit more performance they can get at their $$$s.

I have been enlightened.

Quick Reply: What modification next?