Sponsored by:

Audio Setup 2006 997.1 C2

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 03:14 PM
second2none
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Audio Setup 2006 997.1 C2

Hi there, I've been considering a sound upgrade for the car and searched different topics on this forum. Based on the items below, am I on the right path? My car is a 2006 997.1 C2 non-Bose. Are there any other items I'm missing for the install? Thanks in advance!

Head Unit
ALPINE ILX-107

3 Way Components
CDT AUDIO CL-6E42

Amp
ZAPCO ST-4X

Install Kit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-987...5XWcEh&vxp=mtr
Old 12-13-2017, 07:57 PM
second2none
Rennlist Member

Any suggestions if I'm on the right track?
Old 12-14-2017, 05:54 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Much like anything, the right track depends on where you want to go.
I don't know much (anything) about the particular components that you listed, but in my experience, when adding an aftermarket amplifier to drive the speakers, you're going to need some assortment of wiring and connectors to get it all put together.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:57 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

You are on the right track. It depends on how much you are willing to invest. I did a similar upgrade on my '08 C2S, with different equipment. I did choose to add a full interior acoustic dampening installation to reduce road, tire and engine noise. I worked with my audio installer to select high end components (I went with Pioneer 8201 NEX HU, JL Audio Amp and Focal speakers). The acoustic dampening liner made it totally worth every penny. Even with the engine mods (Fabspeed CAI, 200 cel cats, tune) and the louder than stock engine noise, I can listen to and enjoy any music or dvd source at relatively low volume. My wife and I can carry on a normal conversation at decent highway speeds. If I want to hear my engine, I mute the audio source.

The music has always been important to me. PM me if you have other questions. Rock on.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:20 AM
markskyline
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rwdds
You are on the right track. It depends on how much you are willing to invest. I did a similar upgrade on my '08 C2S, with different equipment. I did choose to add a full interior acoustic dampening installation to reduce road, tire and engine noise. I worked with my audio installer to select high end components (I went with Pioneer 8201 NEX HU, JL Audio Amp and Focal speakers). The acoustic dampening liner made it totally worth every penny. Even with the engine mods (Fabspeed CAI, 200 cel cats, tune) and the louder than stock engine noise, I can listen to and enjoy any music or dvd source at relatively low volume. My wife and I can carry on a normal conversation at decent highway speeds. If I want to hear my engine, I mute the audio source.

The music has always been important to me. PM me if you have other questions. Rock on.
Do you have any photos of the dampening installation? How much of the car did you do?
Old 12-15-2017, 06:56 PM
second2none
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BillNye
Much like anything, the right track depends on where you want to go.
I don't know much (anything) about the particular components that you listed, but in my experience, when adding an aftermarket amplifier to drive the speakers, you're going to need some assortment of wiring and connectors to get it all put together.
I’ve also considered the Hertz 3 way to get better midbass but am worried the mounting depth is too shallow. The rca groundblock etc is included but I didn’t list. Thank you for the reply.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:01 PM
second2none
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rwdds

Thank you as this was the input I needed. Did you go with the poly glass Focals? I’m on a budgetary constraint as you know how falling down the mobile audio rabbit hole can be. The ultimate goal is to add some clarity and mid-bass without taking on any additional weight. Also, did you just sound deaden the doors?
Old 12-15-2017, 08:28 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might consider a processor to "tailor" the sound within the car
Old 12-15-2017, 09:55 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

We chose the Focal PS 165 FX 2-way system (I think these have the dual glass fiber layers). They are very clear and loud and I have not been able to push them to distortion. The focals seem to provide a really "clean" sound field in the small confines of the 997 cockpit. I don't know about weight comparisons, didn't consider that as I will never track my 997. As far as the sound deadening, just doing the doors won't help much. Truthfully, I had the entire cockpit stripped out for the SoundSkin installation. Seats, carpet, headliner, console, everything came out. Installer used almost 150 sq.ft. of the deadener and 5mm acoustic foam underlay. These cars have essentially no stock sound attenuation. That's why they sound so awesome but can be deafening at WOT inside the cockpit. I am trying to obtain some pictures the audio guy took of the install process. He was supposed to forward them to me but never did. Having the quieter environment has totally improved my experience in the vehicle. Don't misunderstand, it is not like the inside of a Lexus now.... just much more enjoyable.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:44 PM
granprixweiss928
Three Wheelin'

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.simplicityinsound.com/
Old 12-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Conch911
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by second2none

Thank you as this was the input I needed. Did you go with the poly glass Focals? I’m on a budgetary constraint as you know how falling down the mobile audio rabbit hole can be. The ultimate goal is to add some clarity and mid-bass without taking on any additional weight. Also, did you just sound deaden the doors?
Sorry to butt in, but If you would consider a used HU, I am selling the ILX-107 out of the 2005 C2S cab I just purchased. It works fine with my wife's Iphone, I am an Android guy so switching it out to get Android Auto. $350 plus shipping.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:05 PM
second2none
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Conch911
Sorry to butt in, but If you would consider a used HU, I am selling the ILX-107 out of the 2005 C2S cab I just purchased. It works fine with my wife's Iphone, I am an Android guy so switching it out to get Android Auto. $350 plus shipping.
Sent you a pm.

Quick Reply: Audio Setup 2006 997.1 C2