Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, what lead you to buy your first Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 12:04 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by idealcars
I got an air cooled 3.2 Carrera in college. Had been left out in the rain forever and the interior was completely shot (targa top off of it). So I purchased that for a bargain before air cooled cars were 'cool'. Once they became desirable I had a guy pull me over on the freeway and offer me all the money for the car! Ended up selling it and buying the 997 with the cash!
That's a new one! Good for you. RJ
Old 12-14-2017, 01:10 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I was a car guy in my teens and early 20's but had little money. Then I met my wife, had kids ,other interests, and the passion waned. Wife got a Cayenne and even tho I did all the negotiation there was no passion. Few years laterwith kids and wife telling me I should get a sports car and with some of my friends getting them I figured it was my turn. Always wanted a Corvette but when I decided to get something there were 2 things that nagged me inge back of my mind. A Risky movie and one of my friends jab at others with super nice sports cars. Porsche.... there is no substitute and Wow thats a really nice car you have ,but its not a 911 Under his breath. So a 911 it was.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:20 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docdrs
I was a car guy in my teens and early 20's but had little money. Then I met my wife, had kids ,other interests, and the passion waned. Wife got a Cayenne and even tho I did all the negotiation there was no passion. Few years laterwith kids and wife telling me I should get a sports car and with some of my friends getting them I figured it was my turn. Always wanted a Corvette but when I decided to get something there were 2 things that nagged me inge back of my mind. A Risky movie and one of my friends jab at others with super nice sports cars. Porsche.... there is no substitute and Wow thats a really nice car you have ,but its not a 911 Under his breath. So a 911 it was.

I hear you loud and clear! I understand now what you are saying. Didn't used to before ownership. There really is no substitute.......... RJ
Old 12-14-2017, 01:28 AM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

When I think about that movie is when the police officer walk into the room and says " Who's the U Boat captain"
Old 12-14-2017, 01:22 PM
MMK110464
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

2005 I saw a 997.1 and loved it.
July 2012 I saw the new 991 and panicked.
September 2012 purchased. 997.2
Old 12-14-2017, 02:16 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MMK110464
2005 I saw a 997.1 and loved it.
July 2012 I saw the new 991 and panicked.
September 2012 purchased. 997.2
Nice! Seven years but you got one. Cool. RJ
Old 12-14-2017, 02:27 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Vette to Six

I was getting onto an interstate in my 1973 Corvette behind what I thought was essentially a Volkswagen. I figured I would blow him away. Couldn’t do it. Turns out it was a 914-6. A little later, I sold the Vette and bought a six. I’ve had a Porsche ever since and that was in 1976. New kids forced a transition to family cars, 911’s, since a car seat fit. Now I have both. Life is good.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:57 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jfort
I was getting onto an interstate in my 1973 Corvette behind what I thought was essentially a Volkswagen. I figured I would blow him away. Couldn’t do it. Turns out it was a 914-6. A little later, I sold the Vette and bought a six. I’ve had a Porsche ever since and that was in 1976. New kids forced a transition to family cars, 911’s, since a car seat fit. Now I have both. Life is good.
That is a damn long time of Porsche ownership. Good for you. RJ
Old 12-14-2017, 03:19 PM
BradtheAg
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of my earliest memories are of my dad's midnight blue 930 Turbo which was a truly incredible machine. So I have always loved Porsches, but wasn't able to justify the cost until recently. Was finally able to buy my first 911 at age 35 about a week ago.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:55 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

My dad and grandfather were both great mechanics. I have been around cars my whole life. I have been a gear head at heart as long as I can remember and have been modifying and racing cars since high school in the 1980's. In the early 90's as I was going to college and figuring out a career I was in to the "Fast and Furious" scene. Modifying japanese cars. 2.0 liter 4 bangers with 25psi boost doing 11 second quarter mile times all day long. This was in the 90's and that was super fast back then!! I took pride in being an underdog and beating super cars of that day, but the 911 was always on my mind. Y2k, A friend at work purchased a 1997 Boxster. I made fun of him and asked if he would like to race so I could blow his doors off. He threw me the keys of his boxster and said lets swap cars and go for a ride through the canyons..... By turn 3 or 4 in the canyons driving the boxster I suddenly realized that 11 second quarter mile times didn't matter that much to me anymore. I was blown away by the Porsche precision, smoothness of the engine, corner handling, and how much fun I was having just putting around on the streets! I already admired Porsche before that, but that was a game changer for me. I Purchased my first Porsche a few months later. It was a 1998 Boxster. The car enthusiast in me and "modifier" could not leave well enough alone and I dropped a 911 3.4 liter engine in to my Boxster. 18 years later and I still own the Boxster. But that was just the 1st step of my Porsche obsession.

Porsche has always been the Iconic Sports Car to me. A car I always dreamed about. Since I was young I was reading the magazines about the precision, engineering, steering feel, and unique wild handling that the Porsche 911 offers. Those who could tame the 911 beast were considered great drivers! As my income allowed I have collected a few Porsche's over the years. My first Porsche being my 1998 Boxster. In 2007 I purchased a 2004 Cayenne S for the wifey. In 2010 I achieved my 911 dream and found this gorgeous 2006 C4S fully loaded and with only 6500 miles on the odometer. Then In 2013 I added a 2008 Cayman S to the garage as well so the wifey could have some fun too. Recently I added my 5th Porsche, a 2013 Cayenne S 4.8 liter V8 with 400 hp. My old Faithful 2004 Cayenne S was sold to a good friend and fellow Porsche enthusiast.

The 911 was always a goal but I fell immediately in love with the 997 models, especially the Carrera 4S with it's wider body and all wheel drive. When the 2010 911 Sport Classic was introduced I was very excited to see the new front bumper design, side skirts, and ducktail tribute to the RS 911's of old. I ordered all the parts to change my 2006 body styling in to a 2010 911 Sport Classic Look. The engine is one of the best highlights of all Porsche's and this one loves to rev and it screams. Brings a smile to my face every time I drive it....

Last edited by qikqbn; 12-14-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:16 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

My wife and I cash-flowed our twins college education ( a nuclear engineer and a digital design artist) to the tune of $160,000 over four years (and yes, they graduated in four years :-) . I was looking for a Cayman S for a college graduation present for ME, and found a great driver condition first-year Cayman S, in Rockport Texas on Craig's list. Had 34,000 miles on it. I called the seller and made arrangements to take my wife to lunch in Rockport ;-) and on the way told her I was going to look at a Porsche. She was shocked to say the least. But when we drove down the block and she saw the seal-grey 987S in the driveway, beautifully lit by the Texas morning sun, she said, "If that car checks out OK I am going to drive it home." And she did. Some of you might already guess where this is going. It was very hard for me to get the keys to the Cayman. She loves that car. I did track the CaymanS at Harris Hill in San Marcos, Texas and at COTA with MVP out of Missouri. It was definitely a go-kart but I thought it was a bit under powered.
So I started to look for 911s. I found a great 09C4S in New York City that had 14,000 miles with all the service records and such. The seller was a great Rennlister and after several phone calls we agreed on a price. Sent the cash, the car was delivered in about six days and I have been a happy man since.

Last edited by ocgarza; 12-15-2017 at 06:58 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old 12-14-2017, 04:17 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BradtheAg
Some of my earliest memories are of my dad's midnight blue 930 Turbo which was a truly incredible machine. So I have always loved Porsches, but wasn't able to justify the cost until recently. Was finally able to buy my first 911 at age 35 about a week ago.
Wish my Dad had a cool car like that. You are even newer than me to this, as I am not quite a month yet. I got the bug late at 61. What did you get? RJ
Old 12-14-2017, 04:24 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by qikqbn
My dad and grandfather were both great mechanics. I have been around cars my whole life. I have been a gear head at heart as long as I can remember and have been modifying and racing cars since high school in the 1980's. In the early 90's as I was going to college and figuring out a career I was in to the "Fast and Furious" scene. Modifying japanese cars. 2.0 liter 4 bangers with 25psi boost doing 11 second quarter mile times all day long. This was in the 90's and that was super fast back then!! I took pride in being an underdog and beating super cars of that day, but the 911 was always on my mind. Y2k, A friend at work purchased a 1997 Boxster. I made fun of him and asked if he would like to race so I could blow his doors off. He threw me the keys of his boxster and said lets swap cars and go for a ride through the canyons..... By turn 3 or 4 in the canyons driving the boxster I suddenly realized that 11 second quarter mile times didn't matter that much to me anymore. I was blown away by the Porsche precision, smoothness of the engine, corner handling, and how much fun I was having just putting around on the streets! I already admired Porsche before that, but that was a game changer for me. I Purchased my first Porsche a few months later. It was a 1998 Boxster. The car enthusiast in me and "modifier" could not leave well enough alone and I dropped a 911 3.4 liter engine in to my Boxster. 18 years later and I still own the Boxster. But that was just the 1st step of my Porsche obsession.

Porsche has always been the Iconic Sports Car to me. A car I always dreamed about. Since I was young I was reading the magazines about the precision, engineering, steering feel, and unique wild handling that the Porsche 911 offers. Those who could tame the 911 beast were considered great drivers! As my income allowed I have collected a few Porsche's over the years. My first Porsche being my 1998 Boxster. In 2007 I purchased a 2004 Cayenne S for the wifey. In 2010 I achieved my 911 dream and found this gorgeous 2006 C4S fully loaded and with only 6500 miles on the odometer. Then In 2013 I added a 2008 Cayman S to the garage as well so the wifey could have some fun too. Recently I added my 5th Porsche, a 2013 Cayenne S 4.8 liter V8 with 400 hp. My old Faithful 2004 Cayenne S was sold to a good friend and fellow Porsche enthusiast.

The 911 was always a goal but I fell immediately in love with the 997 models, especially the Carrera 4S with it's wider body and all wheel drive. When the 2010 911 Sport Classic was introduced I was very excited to see the new front bumper design, side skirts, and ducktail tribute to the RS 911's of old. I ordered all the parts to change my 2006 body styling in to a 2010 911 Sport Classic Look. The engine is one of the best highlights of all Porsche's and this one loves to rev and screams. Brings a smile to my face every time I drive it....

Really nice story and a great group of cars you have. Not growing up with a mechanical father, I didn't get the bug until later in life. But, it was a chance test drive of a Boxster that hooked me on the spot. RJ
Old 12-14-2017, 04:28 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ocgarza
My wife and I cash-flowed our twins college education ( a nuclear engineer and a digital design artist) to the tune of $160,000 over four years (and yes, they graduated in four years :-) . I was looking for a Cayman S for a college graduation present for ME, and found a great driver condition first-year Cayman S, in Rockport Texas on Craig's list. Had 34,000 miles on it. I called the seller and made arrangements to take my wife to lunch in Rockport ;-) and on the way told her I was going to look at a Porsche. She was shocked to say the least. But when we drove down the block and saw the seal-grey 987S in the driveway, beautifully lit by the Texas morning sun, said, "If that car checks out OK I am going to drive it home." And she did. Some of you might already guess where this is going. It was very hard for me to get the keys to the Cayman. She loves that car. I did track the CaymanS at Harris Hill in San Marcos, Texas and at COTA with MVP out of Missouri. It was definitely a go-kart but I thought it was a bit under powered.
So I started to look for 911s. I found a great 09C4S in New York City that had 14,000 miles with all the service records and such. The seller was a great Rennlister and after several phone calls we agreed on a price. Sent the cash, the car was delivered in about six days and I have been a happy man since.

Like the part of her loving the car after she drove it home OC. Nice. Great looking C4S. RJ
Old 12-14-2017, 05:01 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts
Talking

And not a bad way to become a two-Porsche family rather quickly

Quick Reply: So, what lead you to buy your first Porsche?