Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, what lead you to buy your first Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017 | 10:26 PM
rw229
Pro

High school library, mid 80's... one of the car mags had a Guards Red Carrera on the cover. I always wanted a 60's Mustang as most kids were in to muscle cars, but from that moment forward I knew I wanted a 911.

1999, I bought a 1985 911 Carrera, Guards Red over black leather. I am now on my 7th 911 and my first water cooled - 997.2 C2S.
Old 12-14-2017 | 11:53 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rw229
High school library, mid 80's... one of the car mags had a Guards Red Carrera on the cover. I always wanted a 60's Mustang as most kids were in to muscle cars, but from that moment forward I knew I wanted a 911.

1999, I bought a 1985 911 Carrera, Guards Red over black leather. I am now on my 7th 911 and my first water cooled - 997.2 C2S.
Very cool that your first was Guards Red like your first "Porsche Moment". Wow, seven Porsches is a lot. RJ
Old 12-15-2017 | 12:20 AM
rw229
Pro

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ

Very cool that your first was Guards Red like your first "Porsche Moment". Wow, seven Porsches is a lot. RJ
Guards Red was probably the most common color in the 80s. Three of seven where red.

It used to be fairly easy to buy / sell / trade so I was always switching it up... not all that long ago 80s Carreras were in the teens / low 20s and 993s in the 30s. Those days are over!
Old 12-15-2017 | 03:04 AM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

A buddy of mine got a 991 C4S a few years ago and he let me drive it. Wow, so this was the Porsche kool-aid everyone keeps telling me about.

A few months went by and one Friday night after a couple too many glasses of wine, I fired up Craigslist. Lo and behold, there she was...the seller lived right down the street.
Old 12-15-2017 | 10:53 AM
Woody
Racer

Late 80s I told the wife I was ready to buy a sports car and that I was going to look for 70s Corvette. Seems she does not like Corvettes. Something about a bad ride, hard to get into or out of with those high sills. And its made of 'plastic'. Being the supportive girl that she is I was giving the go ahead- as long as it was not fiberglass and it needed a back seat. Search started, Porsche found. Started with a 69T which I did a ground up on and drove several years. Then an 82SC. As mentioned before 'old' 911s were cheep and easy to find.

Eventually sold it and went to Harley's for many years but one day about 10 years ago a 944 was in impulse buy. Put lots of work into bring it up to a nice driver- for about 40k miles. Got to where I was not enjoying it. 944 gone, Harley gone but it's been a couple years and I am getting the urge again and should be ready to buy in about 6 months. ( I still need a back seat but at least it's for my dog this time) Also considering a Gulf R or maybe a Giulia. No idea what's going to happen but the search is on.
Old 12-15-2017 | 11:25 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy92782
A buddy of mine got a 991 C4S a few years ago and he let me drive it. Wow, so this was the Porsche kool-aid everyone keeps telling me about.

A few months went by and one Friday night after a couple too many glasses of wine, I fired up Craigslist. Lo and behold, there she was...the seller lived right down the street.
Pretty convenient transaction Andy. Seems like there are a lot stories about taking that first drive and being hooked right then. RJ
Old 12-15-2017 | 11:28 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Woody
Late 80s I told the wife I was ready to buy a sports car and that I was going to look for 70s Corvette. Seems she does not like Corvettes. Something about a bad ride, hard to get into or out of with those high sills. And its made of 'plastic'. Being the supportive girl that she is I was giving the go ahead- as long as it was not fiberglass and it needed a back seat. Search started, Porsche found. Started with a 69T which I did a ground up on and drove several years. Then an 82SC. As mentioned before 'old' 911s were cheep and easy to find.

Eventually sold it and went to Harley's for many years but one day about 10 years ago a 944 was in impulse buy. Put lots of work into bring it up to a nice driver- for about 40k miles. Got to where I was not enjoying it. 944 gone, Harley gone but it's been a couple years and I am getting the urge again and should be ready to buy in about 6 months. ( I still need a back seat but at least it's for my dog this time) Also considering a Gulf R or maybe a Giulia. No idea what's going to happen but the search is on.
Muscle cars and Harley's got in my way before I found sports cars, but I'm glad I did. Hope you enjoy whatever you get, but sounds like you have a strong Porsche history. RJ
Old 09-26-2018 | 03:11 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Been a while.......
Old 09-26-2018 | 09:36 PM
NC3Pedal
Instructor

I was a dyed in the wool BMW fan and after 6 BMWs, the last being a 2006 M3, I came to realize that BMW lost its mojo. It stopped being the "Ultimate Driving Machine" and it became soft, boring and ultimately a fashion statement. That led me to my first Porsche in 2011 (a 2006) Carrera and 3 Porsches later I am in a 2012 911 GTS Manual Cab, which in my opinion is probably one of the last "traditional" Porsches. As awesome as the new ones are, the 997.2 is rough enough on the edges to recall classic Porsche driving.
Old 09-26-2018 | 10:12 PM
Efini19
Intermediate

I have owned my 6spd 997.1 in speed yellow for a couple months now. My dad owned a 1983 for awhile and it was always a dream to be able to own one myself. Owned many different platforms prior, specifically bmw. Glad I made the jump and hope to post more on here.
Old 09-27-2018 | 02:51 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

I have always liked V8s and convertibles. But, it was a good time to try something different because the only thing that really caught my eye was a 2013 427 Vette. I tried to make a deal on one nearby, but the dealer wasn't interested. So I bought my C2S Cabriolet for what I offered for the Vette. That Vette sat on the dealers lot for 3 more months before they sold it for less than what I had offered. Funny how things work out.
Old 10-07-2018 | 02:29 AM
fat_louis
Advanced

I always wanted a Porsche 911 since I saw a speed yellow 993 C4S in a car magazine. I loved the details like the **** **** and the floor mounted pedals. The car looked like a little jewel. I had a couple of BMWs but I got tired of the fact that a lot of broke people drive them. Its harder to be broke and drive a 911. There is just more prestige. I looked at a couple of Ferrari F430s but I cannot trust the F1 transmission and I don't like 12 mpg even if I can afford the gas. Since there are not that many cars compared to 911s, the parts are harder to come by for Ferrari, which equals more money. I also felt that F430s with F1 still had a ways to go in terms of depreciation, so that was a turn off. Its not really a car that can be used on a daily basis IMO. Finally, I went to medical school, so I learned a lot of bad habits from the doctors I worked with. That is the problem of going to professional school...you acquire a higher level of taste than people with more pedestrian occupations. What I still cannot figure out about Porsche is that they have made 1,000,000 911s yet they are still expensive cars despite not being rare at all. They really know how to make money...its like iPhones. They are expensive as **** but everyone wants one and every other person seems to have one somehow.
Old 10-07-2018 | 09:43 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Like many of you I also had the guards red 911 on my wall in the 80’s plus I grew up in Detroit. Third generation car family, but on the Mopar side of things. I have always loved cars and just working on them so at the ripe age of 15 I told my dad I found a Porsche that I wanted to buy, 924. He and I went to look at it and it needed a lot of work, but I bought it with my own money. I took almost a year to restore it inside and out.

After about a year I came home and told my dad that it was not fast enough. He said maybe we can turbocharge it and said he would talk to the guys in the turbocharger department tomorrow, he worked at a Chrysler engine plant. So we figured out how to fabricate everything to install a turbo. That car was fast for the 80’s and being a 4 banger. It was a looker of a car too.

Best thing happened my senior senior year in high school when my dad approached me and said he had a special night for my mom in downtown Detroit and he asked me if he could borrow the car. Such satisfaction came across my face when I said sure you can borrow my car, just fill it up before you bring it home.

I sold that car to help pay for my two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or sometimes called the Mormon church.

Fast forward to a year ago and my oldest of 5 boys turned 16 and we only had two cars. Wife said we need another car and suggested maybe I get the Porsche 911 I have always wanted. At first I disagreed as I can be quite frugal, but the last couple years I have also had some health issues due to heredity. I am 6’1” and 205 pounds, but have heart issues among other things that run in the family. Life is short and I saw an old guy one day trying to get out of his Corvette and could barely get out of it. Tons of Corvettes in Texas. I made the decision then that I was not going to wait until I was too old to realize my dream as I probably will not live to be old like most people due to health. The most costly thing in life is regret and asking What if?

I found my 997.2 1600 miles away in California in February 2018 and I flew out there to pick it up and drive it home. Great drive ever since as it is my daily driver. I am close to 10,000 miles since I bought it in February and I have loved it every day since.

Brian
Old 10-07-2018 | 10:01 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

To me a 911 is more than just a car. Its certainly iconic, its styling, delivery of power, and the engineering is second to no one. Not sure what other 3.8 NA cars produce 385 hp. Others have taken its styling, even its numbers GT3 but no one can take its name. Porsche, simple presence turns kids heads.
Old 10-08-2018 | 12:55 PM
NC3Pedal
Instructor

In 1982 a good friend bought a 930 Turbo. One night he came over and we took it out for an extended drive and I got to drive it for about 2 hours. Mind you in 1982, 300 horsepower was unbelievable.Got hooked then but out of my price range since I was just starting out in my career and starting a family. Anyway fast forward 28 years and after working on my career, putting kids through college and saving money for retirement, I bought my first Porsche in 2011 (an '06 Carrera Cab). Since then an '07 Boxster S, a '15 Boxster S and my current ride a 997.2 2012 Carrera GTS Cab Manual. Amazing to consider that the Turbo had 300 hp back then and my NA GTS has 408! We are incredibly fortunate that technology has rescued car lovers from the ho hum horsepower numbers of early emission controlled cars (remember Corvettes with 200 or so HP?)

Quick Reply: So, what lead you to buy your first Porsche?