Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a California Car Duster for a quick dust clean?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 04:46 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
+1 Concours and car shows use them all of the time.

Stallone: Heeeyyy Arnold, be careful, youz gonna scratch the paint...
Schwarzenegger: You should have cloned yourself...
Stallone: Whyz that?
Schwarzenegger: So you can go f**k yourself!

I personally wouldn't use it. that picture looks like a photoshop. I've seen Sly in person, he's about 5'7" and Arnold is 6'1", that picture makes Arnold looks like he's 5'8".
Old 12-21-2017, 06:16 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Glass

It's a Targa 4.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:38 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
I personally wouldn't use it. that picture looks like a photoshop. I've seen Sly in person, he's about 5'7" and Arnold is 6'1", that picture makes Arnold looks like he's 5'8".
Camera angle and a good pair of boots

Old 12-24-2017, 03:06 PM
David HUDGENS
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeezus, after reading this thread I've come to the conclusion that my 997 must be worth millions. I love the car and love how it looks, but mine IS over 10 years old. This car is meant to be driven. Look around you and see how many rusty, dirty, broken vehicles are driving around you kicking up or spraying everything with tiny missiles of metal, rock, sand, etc. Our cars are going to get scratched no matter what.

Personally, I enjoy driving the car in most elements and have learned to live with a car that gets dirty as soon as I wash it. I'm **** about my toys, but I'm not that **** to think my car is so special that it can't take a few light brushes of the car duster.

FWIW, I use my duster every now and then to get the dust off the car by using it lightly and sparingly. For the most part and if my car is dirty enough for a wash, I simply wash it. Easy peasy.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:31 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rather than use a duster, I use ONR. Again, you can definitely make a case that ONR will scratch the paint, but if you're looking to remove the dust just pre-soak using a pressurized sprayer from Home Depot and wash using a fresh MF towel for each panel. I also like to mix with DI water to ensure no water spots form, even though ONR really eliminates most of that risk.

Pressurized Sprayer
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1-Ga...1HDX/207202420

ONR
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-27-2017, 04:29 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,357 Likes on 620 Posts

Anyone care to chime in on dusting off PFF (XPel Ultimate, on mine).

It seems to be the elegant solution to protecting paint from all but the worst road rash and allows scratch-free dusting between washings. (Whichever method you choose to use.)

Oh, and as to Sly and Arnold's height- I have stood right next to them. I am 6'4", and both of them are well under 6'. Sly was only slightly taller than my 5'5" wife, but she was in heels. His wife and two daughters towered over him- but all three were wearing heels, as well. Arnold is well under 6', just a couple inches taller than Sly.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:07 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,095 Likes on 2,116 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
Anyone care to chime in on dusting off PFF (XPel Ultimate, on mine).

It seems to be the elegant solution to protecting paint from all but the worst road rash and allows scratch-free dusting between washings. (Whichever method you choose to use.)

Oh, and as to Sly and Arnold's height- I have stood right next to them. I am 6'4", and both of them are well under 6'. Sly was only slightly taller than my 5'5" wife, but she was in heels. His wife and two daughters towered over him- but all three were wearing heels, as well. Arnold is well under 6', just a couple inches taller than Sly.
Wouldn't concern me due to the self healing properties.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:58 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts

Where does bird poop rate on this scale? On a side note, Tom cruise is tiny....I was right next to him as he filmed Minority Report. He is smaller and shorter than both Arnie and Sly.
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (12-09-2022)
Old 12-27-2017, 10:00 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by David HUDGENS
Jeezus, after reading this thread I've come to the conclusion that my 997 must be worth millions. I love the car and love how it looks, but mine IS over 10 years old. This car is meant to be driven. Look around you and see how many rusty, dirty, broken vehicles are driving around you kicking up or spraying everything with tiny missiles of metal, rock, sand, etc. Our cars are going to get scratched no matter what.

Personally, I enjoy driving the car in most elements and have learned to live with a car that gets dirty as soon as I wash it. I'm **** about my toys, but I'm not that **** to think my car is so special that it can't take a few light brushes of the car duster.

FWIW, I use my duster every now and then to get the dust off the car by using it lightly and sparingly. For the most part and if my car is dirty enough for a wash, I simply wash it. Easy peasy.
Amen brother!!
Old 01-03-2018, 03:21 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Keep in mind that you’re reading this on a forum where there was once a thread about a product that you sprayed onto your brake rotors so they didn’t develop surface rust while the car sat in the garage.

Some owners exist in a in a world that is much different than yours or mine.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:54 PM
wheeler2008
AutoX

I also use it for a quick dust clean. because its heavy-duty craftsmanship and top-notch performance make it the number-one choice in auto detailing. Its wax-treated strands effectively trap dust and grime. But I think it is needed to clean frequently.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:12 AM
wheeler2008
AutoX

Originally Posted by sctanton52
Actually, the Germans have their own version, called the ‘Black Forest Duster’. Very hard to get and very expensive. All the 918’s came with one. It is reported they are used by the Porsche Factory Engineers, berfore any new Ring timing runs are made. I have only ever seen the odd picture.
Can you give the comparison between a California Car Duster and Black Forest Duster. Which is better?
Old 12-09-2022, 10:32 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,290 Posts

careful of the click bait spammer immediately above.
The following users liked this post:
Graufuchs (12-09-2022)

Quick Reply: Using a California Car Duster for a quick dust clean?