Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a California Car Duster for a quick dust clean?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 01:00 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Using a California Car Duster for a quick dust clean?

I know they are popular for cars for a quick dust clean, but I also have heard they use a wax base on the brush. Do you use one on your Porsche, or stay away? RJ

Last edited by SoCal RJ; 12-05-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:06 AM
otuA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used them on other cars, they're pretty effective during pollen season, but it just isn't worth it on a car where you care about the paint.

I don't mind if my car gets a little dusty between washes... that's why I wash it.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:13 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Every time you use it you add scratches to the paint. If you don’t care then use it. If you do care then don’t use it. Easy decision.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:47 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

I have one and it stays on the shelf, never touching a car body. If the car needs cleaning I just wash it.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:51 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Rule of Thumb: don't touch the paint with ANYTHING (including your hands) that isn't well-lubricated.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:50 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Rule of Thumb: don't touch the paint with ANYTHING (including your hands) that isn't well-lubricated.
oh boy.....well lubricated hands....
The following users liked this post:
srb1194 (12-02-2022)
Old 12-05-2017, 10:14 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I use one all the time on all of my cars and have no issues. Yes there might be micro swirls caused by it, but it is nothing visible to me. You get more damage to the paint just driving and following other cars.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:51 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by linderpat
I use one all the time on all of my cars and have no issues. Yes there might be micro swirls caused by it, but it is nothing visible to me. You get more damage to the paint just driving and following other cars.
​​​​​​
Some do mind the swirls and some don't follow traffic so closely.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:00 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
+1 . The worst scratches can occur with the simple stroke of a finger.

If your car is black, red, or dark blue it will add up over time. If you are good with a buffer then no worries. Even just washing a car adds up over time that is why it is good to own a random orbital and invest some time into become good at paint correction.

Again you know some are sick like me and the paint must be perfect, others it's not about the look. To each his own.

I don't have one, just like I never clay bar without a planned random orbital polish. Again to each his own. I say love your car the way you like it, it might be one of the few things in your life you can control.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Jeff Waibel
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you go to Pebble Beach or any other massive Concours you see detailers use them on everything - yes, even the $20 million Ferraris and irreplaceable everything else. What do they know that home enthusiasts don't? They all use the original California Duster because of it's wax base. They also use one that's not brand new. The California Duster doesn't spread the dust around - the wax traps most of the contaminants. Cheap knock-offs just spread the dust. It's not the every-day tool, and certainly no substitute for proper washing. However, it's not going to wreck your paint like some of these replies suggest.
The following users liked this post:
tegraphile (12-09-2022)
Old 12-05-2017, 05:31 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

To each his own. Anyone who has spent 2 days doing an 8 step correction and protection, especially on a black car, won't touch their paint with ANYTHING without properly washing first.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:51 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
To each his own. Anyone who has spent 2 days doing an 8 step correction and protection, especially on a black car, won't touch their paint with ANYTHING without properly washing first.
^ yup, been there.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:03 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
I know they are popular for cars for a quick dust clean, but I also have heard they use a wax base on the brush. Do you use one on your Porsche, or stay away? RJ
I use a mini california duster on my interior. Works amazing... picks up dust and dirt better than anything else I've used.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:18 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Waibel
When you go to Pebble Beach or any other massive Concours you see detailers use them on everything - yes, even the $20 million Ferraris and irreplaceable everything else. What do they know that home enthusiasts don't? They all use the original California Duster because of it's wax base. They also use one that's not brand new. The California Duster doesn't spread the dust around - the wax traps most of the contaminants. Cheap knock-offs just spread the dust. It's not the every-day tool, and certainly no substitute for proper washing. However, it's not going to wreck your paint like some of these replies suggest.
+1 Concours and car shows use them all of the time.

Stallone: Heeeyyy Arnold, be careful, youz gonna scratch the paint...
Schwarzenegger: You should have cloned yourself...
Stallone: Whyz that?
Schwarzenegger: So you can go f**k yourself!

Old 12-05-2017, 06:25 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree on the small interior one being a very nice quick detailing tool for the dash and door panels etc. I do use the big ones on the outside but not very often. I too have seen them used at big name car shows by the ‘pros’. So it still leaves me a wee-bit confused. Of course all my P-Cars are gently hand bucket washed and blown dry. But my dear old 2008 Chevy HD2500 gets whatever drive through car wash is handy when its bath time. I gotta admit after a few hours with some good polishing products and the orbital buffer it does not look too bad, I do that about once a year. I still will get comments when people find out it is a 10 year old work truck.

Quick Reply: Using a California Car Duster for a quick dust clean?