Sponsored by:

Champion F77 and California Smog

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 01:08 PM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Champion F77 and California Smog

Just getting around to smogging my 997.1 with F77 Power Package, bought from DougM in Kentucky. Smog check guy here in CA says "it won't fly with that intake." It's just an intake and cat-back exhaust!!! Hoping to make it "fly" in CA, because it drives awesome and I don't want to have to buy an OEM intake, even used. I called Champion and they said that they haven't done the testing to get it CA certified. Anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2017, 01:41 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Chirofirst
Just getting around to smogging my 997.1 with F77 Power Package, bought from DougM in Kentucky. Smog check guy here in CA says "it won't fly with that intake." It's just an intake and cat-back exhaust!!! Hoping to make it "fly" in CA, because it drives awesome and I don't want to have to buy an OEM intake, even used. I called Champion and they said that they haven't done the testing to get it CA certified. Anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas? Thanks!
Try a different shop, maybe even the dealer if they do the testing.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:11 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

It won't pass.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:40 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

In KA it will fail visual, case closed.

But.....there are performance tune shops with smog check licenses...nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Go find one in your area.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:14 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

yep. finding a friendly shop is the only way to go in these nanny states
Old 11-29-2017, 09:05 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

A used OEM airbox is $200. You're going to need it every year, so why not just buy one to have for the annual inspection and be done with worrying about it and the potential hassle of failing?
Old 11-29-2017, 12:36 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Are there any other F77 mods that might bring unwanted attention during emissions testing? California buyers should probably add to their PPI checklist - "Will car pass emissions".
Old 11-29-2017, 04:23 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Are there any other F77 mods that might bring unwanted attention during emissions testing? California buyers should probably add to their PPI checklist - "Will car pass emissions".
In KA the smog check is really only about making quick cash. Gone are the days of a tailpipe sniffer, rollers to get the car to a speed,etc. It is now a visual and a plug into the OBD port with a 15 second rev to about 2500rpm. You’re in and out in 15 minutes.

But to answer your question more specifically, the visual is where you fail 90% of the time with mods to the engine. Fancy intakes, chrome exhaust plumbing O2 extensions = fail at the corner smog check. So a $60 test at the corner goes to $100-$150 at a tune shop but you get a pass. In KA it’s once every 2 years after the car is 6 years old...:unless the car is being sold, then a smog check is required regardless of the age.

Its NOT about the environment, it’s about cash, yours that is......
Old 11-30-2017, 05:37 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
In KA the smog check is really only about making quick cash. Gone are the days of a tailpipe sniffer, rollers to get the car to a speed,etc. It is now a visual and a plug into the OBD port with a 15 second rev to about 2500rpm. You’re in and out in 15 minutes.

But to answer your question more specifically, the visual is where you fail 90% of the time with mods to the engine. Fancy intakes, chrome exhaust plumbing O2 extensions = fail at the corner smog check. So a $60 test at the corner goes to $100-$150 at a tune shop but you get a pass. In KA it’s once every 2 years after the car is 6 years old...:unless the car is being sold, then a smog check is required regardless of the age.

Its NOT about the environment, it’s about cash, yours that is......
Nailed it on all fronts.

If your car isnt throwing or storing any emission related codes, its running clean. But if you put a 'Magnaflow' sticker under the hood for laughs, you will fail the visual. I once failed a visual because I had Euro plates behind my CA plates. Idiot thought it was a gray market import and I was trying to pull a fast one. Never mind my current registration, all the Ca compliant stickers and the car was 100% bone stock. I hate to say it, but buying a used stock intake to pass the visual might be the best way to pass, then swap it out 5 minutes later.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:33 AM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
In KA it will fail visual, case closed.

But.....there are performance tune shops with smog check licenses...nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Go find one in your area.

Yes, currently in search of one...thanks!
Old 11-30-2017, 11:35 AM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
A used OEM airbox is $200. You're going to need it every year, so why not just buy one to have for the annual inspection and be done with worrying about it and the potential hassle of failing?
If I can't find a friendly shop, this is next...currently in search for one. Thank you!
Old 11-30-2017, 11:37 AM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Anyone know if the cat-back exhaust will be an issue? I don't think it should, but then that's using logic, which is sorely lacking in CA...The smog check guy just said the INTAKE wouldn't fly. Not going to do whole exhaust mod, I can just go to a guy in the Bay Area who is a nudge-nudge, wink-wink guy...
Old 11-30-2017, 11:45 AM
newold_m
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Catback are ok, just leave the oem cats in place and they don’t care what happens after them.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:58 AM
gapbound1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chirofirst
If you want to sell the intake I'll take it off of your hands.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:38 PM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Originally Posted by newold_m
Catback are ok, just leave the oem cats in place and they don’t care what happens after them.
That's what I thought...thank you!

Quick Reply: Champion F77 and California Smog