Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any recommendations on a new front bumper for a 997.1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 08:49 AM
jeffm
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Turbo 997 bumper.
Bought mine used on ebay and, with some polishing, didn't have to repaint.
My first choice was the OE Aero, but factoring in the cost of the paint made this option a great deal. Definitely did not want to do aftermarket and deal with any fitment issues. It was nice that every thing fit exactly as expected.

Last edited by jeffm; 12-01-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:22 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,594 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffm
Turbo 997 bumper.
My first choice was the OE Aero, but factoring in the cost of the paint made this option a great deal. Definitely did not want to do aftermarket and deal with any fitment issues. It was nice that every thing fit exactly as expected.
Is that a TT wing on the back too?
Old 12-01-2017, 11:48 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

Turbo 997 bumper.
Love it. Can you give details on how you installed it and cost. Did it just bolt on? The post above mentioned issues with radiator placement. Where did you buy the foglights and did you have to change anything in the wiring.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:50 AM
jeffm
Racer

Yes, turbo rear deck/wing as well. To keep costs down (and simplicity) I did a fixed wing and used the Durametric to turn the rear wing error off.

There was no issue with radiator, but I'll one day get around to painting the center area black behind the center grille. Also, I did purchase inner fender well liners but you should be able to use the original ones. I do have a small gap in the lower splash guard where the center radiator would fit, but have not seen any problems since I did the conversion over a year ago.

Everything fit as expected, however there were a few challenges along the way. The headlamp washer hoses had to lengthened and I also chose to cut off and solder the parking, fog and city light with new connectors to make assembly easier. To make the LED turn signals work, it did require making the correct Durametric coding from incandescent to LED. I fought this for a while then bit the bullet and purchased the durametric pro tool....made the coding changes and worked like magic.

The real cost savings was not having to have the bumper painted. I lucked out with it being a factory match and minimal scratches. With the Aero bumper, you don't have to purchase the grilles, fogs and LED spars. Here's most of the cost break down:

$288 Turbo front bumper (ebay)
$0 Paint (elbow grease)
$360 Grille inserts, 3 piece (ebay)
$399 LED spar (ebay)
$100 Lower lip (ebay)
$145 Fog light pair (car-part.com)
$50 Various connecters (ebay)

One day I'll take some better pics, but here's a different angle

Before

After (just buffing/polishing)
Old 12-02-2017, 01:05 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, turbo rear deck/wing as well. To keep costs down (and simplicity) I did a fixed wing and used the Durametric to turn the rear wing error off.

There was no issue with radiator, but I'll one day get around to painting the center area black behind the center grille. Also, I did purchase inner fender well liners but you should be able to use the original ones. I do have a small gap in the lower splash guard where the center radiator would fit, but have not seen any problems since I did the conversion over a year ago.

Everything fit as expected, however there were a few challenges along the way. The headlamp washer hoses had to lengthened and I also chose to cut off and solder the parking, fog and city light with new connectors to make assembly easier. To make the LED turn signals work, it did require making the correct Durametric coding from incandescent to LED. I fought this for a while then bit the bullet and purchased the durametric pro tool....made the coding changes and worked like magic.

The real cost savings was not having to have the bumper painted. I lucked out with it being a factory match and minimal scratches. With the Aero bumper, you don't have to purchase the grilles, fogs and LED spars. Here's most of the cost break down:

$0 Paint (elbow grease)
$399 LED spar (ebay)
$100 Lower lip (ebay)

Before

It's impressive you were able to get those scratches on the left out. Looks cool, like a NB Turbo. If you ever decide to do the active aero rear wing there's nothing special, you just need the hydraulics and TT wiring harness and to code it back to active aero. I did the functioning TT decklid conversion on my wife's pink pearl 997.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:32 PM
jeffm
Racer

Understood on having the rear wing functional. Add $500 for the cost of hydraulics (if I'm lucky) and another $800+ on an airbox that would allow the room, it's just not worth the cost to me.
Unless someone wants to sell me a fabspeed intake for cheap
Old 12-02-2017, 02:39 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Understood on having the rear wing functional. Add $500 for the cost of hydraulics (if I'm lucky) and another $800+ on an airbox that would allow the room, it's just not worth the cost to me.
Unless someone wants to sell me a fabspeed intake for cheap
I used the EVOMS intake on ours. Those can be found used for about $300 from time to time. Seems to fit a little better with the centrally located fan on the turbo decklid.

Last edited by Petza914; 03-01-2018 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:13 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

$0 Paint (elbow grease)
$399 LED spar (ebay)
$100 Lower lip (ebay)

Before

Wow! Well Done. Thats now on my list of someday projects.
The following users liked this post:
misterdega (04-26-2023)
Old 03-01-2018, 12:03 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

awesome!

$0 Paint (elbow grease)
$399 LED spar (ebay)
$100 Lower lip (ebay)

Before

Old 03-03-2018, 07:13 PM
Hi-Arc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Thanks.

They're Concave Forgeline SC1s in Brushed & Clear finish

Lokks great Pete! Is that a stock Turbo Deck Lid?
Old 03-03-2018, 07:26 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hi-Arc

Lokks great Pete! Is that a stock Turbo Deck Lid?
The pink one is a stock TT decklid with active aero.

The silver one is a RUF full CF decklid with their fixed wing that I converted to be active aero with hydraulics from a 996 TT and then changed those to Eram electric versions to get a 1" taller, 3" lift. I used a CF bicycle handlebar as a wire channel to keep everything tidy and to match the CF.

Quick Reply: Any recommendations on a new front bumper for a 997.1?