Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tires change steering feel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:39 PM
kneeman997mk2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter tires change steering feel?

just recently put a set of scottozeros on my 997.2 GTS and noticed steering feel has changed....

Almost as though steering effort is much lighter?! I used a reputable private tire service shop to change my center locks. They noted that the summer tires and wheels had been labeled backwards in regards to the ‘tighten’ and ‘loosen’ arrows.

Is this something others have noticed when they changed from summer to winter setups?

Alex
Old 11-19-2017, 09:17 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Normal
Old 11-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Normal.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:01 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Narrower tires right? Everyone is after wide tires and yes they are grippier in the summer, but they are heavier and are less nimble. Thinner is more fun.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:38 AM
kneeman997mk2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Narrower tires right? Everyone is after wide tires and yes they are grippier in the summer, but they are heavier and are less nimble. Thinner is more fun.

Agreed, but it just feels as though turning the steering wheel is considerably easier with almost less vibration and feedback through the wheel. Could this just be my imagination? It was unexpected.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Compound in winter tires isn't as grippy because it needs to work at lower temperatures. If you went narrower, you also probably went taller which means you're probably going to get more sidewall flex in turns, which will also be a different feel.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:51 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Compound in winter tires isn't as grippy because it needs to work at lower temperatures. If you went narrower, you also probably went taller which means you're probably going to get more sidewall flex in turns, which will also be a different feel.
+1

In 2.5 years of ownership which included a few track days, I’ve learned that these cars are very sensitive when it comes to tires. After I went from Michelin PS2’s (Porsche N rated) to a much cheaper and softer Continental Extreme DW (non Porsche N rated) it affected the handling of my car negatively. The Continental has a much softer sidewalk therefore I had to give much more steering input to get the same result as with the PS2’s. The car lost its sharpness considerably.

I recently went back to the PS2’s and I couldn’t be happier. The steering feels sharp and the car is super responsive once again. I never understood why the PS2’s and other N rated tires are more expensive, and I also thought that the N rating was pure marketing BS. I was wrong and I also learned that these tires cost 3 times as much as my previous ones because they are a far superior product.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:22 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

Your summer tires have big treadblocks with shallower tread depth, this gives less flex or 'squirm' as you are trying to turn the tires. Winter tires are the opposite, deeper tread depth with smaller treadblocks with 'sipes' that cut the treadblocks into even smaller chunks mean that the tread has more flex as you try to turn the wheel. Hence easier turning on the winter tires :-)
Old 11-20-2017, 06:18 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will get a different feel from brand to brand tire to tire every time. The 'new tire feel' is a real thing.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:02 AM
MDMX997
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, thanks for bringing this up. I just changed to winter tires 2 weeks ago from P0's to Sottozero's. The steering feels much lighter and, to me, gives much more compliant ride. The only difference in size is the rear - from 305's to 295's.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:40 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSR
+1

In 2.5 years of ownership which included a few track days, I’ve learned that these cars are very sensitive when it comes to tires. After I went from Michelin PS2’s (Porsche N rated) to a much cheaper and softer Continental Extreme DW (non Porsche N rated) it affected the handling of my car negatively. The Continental has a much softer sidewalk therefore I had to give much more steering input to get the same result as with the PS2’s. The car lost its sharpness considerably.

I recently went back to the PS2’s and I couldn’t be happier. The steering feels sharp and the car is super responsive once again. I never understood why the PS2’s and other N rated tires are more expensive, and I also thought that the N rating was pure marketing BS. I was wrong and I also learned that these tires cost 3 times as much as my previous ones because they are a far superior product.
I had this experience too, when I bought my car it had Hankook Evo12's which I know people like on here, but for spirited driving they are not a match for the performance the 911 can deliver. I now have N-rated PS2's and the car behaves much better. I have the Pirelli winter tires and the grip and handling is quite reduced with these tires.

Quick Reply: Winter tires change steering feel?