Sponsored by:

PCM 3.0 ISSUE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 04:50 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCM 3.0 ISSUE!

Yesterday when I started my car, the Porsche logo screen on my PCM came on, stayed on for about 20 seconds, then the unit powered off. A few seconds later, the logo screen came on again for 20, then powered down again, and so on and so forth continuously.

Even after shutting off the car the same thing continued to occur, over and over! During all this time, none of the PCM controls could do anything. The only way to stop this issue was to pull the fuse, which I also thought might reset the unit,but when I put the fuse back in...same thing. I also tried disconnecting the battery, still no change.

When I took it in to my PIWIS equipped shop, they did not find any errors with the PCM, but I also don't think it was showing up in the computer or at least not consistently. They could not do anything to help, so I pulled the fuse and am driving without the PCM .

Questions:
1.Has anyone else experienced such a problem?
2.Are there any places in the US that service these units?
3.Are used units available, can a used one be coded to my car?
4.Are all PCM 3.0's the same for all P cars using them, or are they model specific?

Thanks in advance for any responses!
Old 11-13-2017, 05:17 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://beckerautosound.com/
Old 11-13-2017, 05:52 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

I went through a similar ordeal. Any chance yours is in German after it reboots?

You pretty much have to get it fixed by Becker, as motopix said, or get a used unit that has the exact same part number as yours (based on your VIN, which takes Bluetooth, XM, nav, etc. into account). Both will need a trip to the dealer for recoding.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:58 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Recent post on this. Keep your own unit instead of buying someone else’s problem. Send to Becker in NJ for repair. If it’s the hard drive you’ll spend $1000 and of course the reprogramming and re-marriage of the PCM and car needs to be done by the P dealer. With in and out you’re haircut will be about $1600. Just did this myself a few months ago. This is the least expensive way out.

The upside is the NAVI is now current and graphics are much improved. My Becker repaired unit has a year warranty and works perfectly.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:00 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike cap
Keep your own unit instead of buying someone else’s problem.
...a functional used unit out of a wrecked car is hardly "someone else's problem." I paid about $700 for my replacement + dealer time, all in.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:03 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
...a functional used unit out of a wrecked car is hardly "someone else's problem." I paid about $700 for my replacement + dealer time, all in.
So Einstein, you tore up $1000 for a used unit that may fail like the OP’s and mine and many others and has no warranty? Good move.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:05 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike cap
So Einstein, you tore up $1000 for a used unit that may fail like the OP’s and mine and many others and has no warranty? Good move.
Looks like I'm $900 ahead of you at the moment, so, yeah.

Trending Topics

Old 11-14-2017, 06:49 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

For that kind of money, I would for sure replace with something aftermarket, where you'd be leaps and bounds ahead in both functionality and sound. Change all the speakers to Focals - I can supply my DIY if anyone is interested. If you have Bose, you'll need to change the main amp in the Frunk, but if also changing all the speakers you can get a traditional head unit, a traditional amp, and traditional speakers and not have to deal with MOST conversion harnesses, etc. Change the subs in the rear sub box and that amp as well.

Quick Reply: PCM 3.0 ISSUE!