Sponsored by:

997.2 Passenger Footwell power outlet

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:02 AM
Scott_997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 997.2 Passenger Footwell power outlet

Does anyone have an easy solution to make this a switched outlet? I keep leaving my phone charger plugged in on accident. I'm sure a lot of you have experienced the same thing.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:09 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Funny, I was thinking about the same project. It will probably be a winter project for me so I'll let you know if I sort it out.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:11 AM
Scott_997
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tj40
Funny, I was thinking about the same project. It will probably be a winter project for me so I'll let you know if I sort it out.
I'm going to get a service done soon, I will inquire if there is an easy solution. Will update this thread on what I find out.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:15 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

+1. Want to wire my intercom to it.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:46 AM
devioustrap
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Should be really easy, if you're okay with hacking the wiring a little bit...

You can either run switched power from the fuse box and replace the hot wire with the switched one. Or, you can install a relay, if there's any type of switched wire already behind the radio.

Assuming the load is only for a car charger, I'd probably just run a new 12v wire. It would only take 5 minutes. I think fuse C6 is used by most.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:47 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott_997
Does anyone have an easy solution to make this a switched outlet? I keep leaving my phone charger plugged in on accident. I'm sure a lot of you have experienced the same thing.
Rewire it to an empty, switched fuse. You will run a fresh wire. For the fuse, you can buy from any autoparts store, a fuse with an extended pin where you can attach the hot line (then on to the center pin of the socket).

Will have to pull your fuse cover, and look for empty slots, then cross reference them..... you may then be able to assume if they are switched or not.... plug in the fuse, put the ground wire to an available ground, and the just test it. If there are no available slots (I am sure you will find a few), you can choose a low-priorty fuse, pull it, and replace it with one of the same value that has those access pins.

All of this can be done for a few bucks and some ibuprofen. This is easy work.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

This one preserves the existing circuit, hence fuse #1, and then applies power to fuse #2 for the device you want to power.

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 11-08-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:01 AM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow I never knew I had an outlet there lol

Trending Topics

Old 11-09-2017, 10:05 PM
Scott_997
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Rewire it to an empty, switched fuse. You will run a fresh wire. For the fuse, you can buy from any autoparts store, a fuse with an extended pin where you can attach the hot line (then on to the center pin of the socket).

Will have to pull your fuse cover, and look for empty slots, then cross reference them..... you may then be able to assume if they are switched or not.... plug in the fuse, put the ground wire to an available ground, and the just test it. If there are no available slots (I am sure you will find a few), you can choose a low-priorty fuse, pull it, and replace it with one of the same value that has those access pins.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

This one preserves the existing circuit, hence fuse #1, and then applies power to fuse #2 for the device you want to power.

Thank's Bruce, I will report back. You have been a great help to the forum, I have read so of your other posts.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:44 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

THIS.

i did this earlier this year, tap into the fuse box for an empty switched fuse, with the other end being a cigarette lighter.

from wire it so that it hides underneath the steering wheel/pcm area and plug in your new cigarette lighter an apple certified (or good quality 1.0/2.4A usb plug). from there i just use a certified power cable and wrote it beside the air vent via the gap in the side leather piece of the pcm.

as things change over time and phone requirements change, just simply swap out a newer generation cigarette lighter (and cable).

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...Id=32616524045

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: 997.2 Passenger Footwell power outlet