Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS / where are the vehicle/fender well sensors located?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 07:43 PM
Lambo_guy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS / where are the vehicle/fender well sensors located?

I got my Porsche with a set of aftermarket wheels and the TPMS light on. After a couple of weeks I put the stock wheels (with the stock sensors) back on the car but the TPMS light was still on. I did a reset but nothing really changed, the problem was that the left side sensors were not working. Since my car is an 07 model I assumed that the batteries in these sensors have been depleted and I replaced all four sensors.

Now to my surprise I see that the left side sensors still don't work so I'm assuming that the TPMS receiver (on the car's side) should be faulty.

Does anyone know where these sensors are located? Are they in the fender well?
Old 11-04-2017, 01:18 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

There is a sensor near each corner of the car, for each wheel.

Once you replace the TPMS sensors/senders drive the car awhile for them to synchronize up with the car. I would suspect the senders before I would suspect the receivers.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:08 AM
Lambo_guy
Track Day

Originally Posted by Edgy01
There is a sensor near each corner of the car, for each wheel.

Once you replace the TPMS sensors/senders drive the car awhile for them to synchronize up with the car. I would suspect the senders before I would suspect the receivers.
Well that what I also thought - that’s its the sender unit but I think at this point it’s proven that it’s the receiver, right?
1) left side wasn’t working before
2) change all senders and reset to summer tires
3) now left side isn’t working again while the right side is functional

I don’t see how it could still be the sender - if more miles needed I’m assuming that both side wouldn’t be working , right?
Old 11-04-2017, 05:50 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

swap wheels left to right
Old 11-04-2017, 07:10 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I did have an issue once when changing tier with new sensors. First, I drove the car and it seemed that it was automatically resetting itself after 20 minutes of driving. Later, the system was trying to repeat the process. Finally, I went through the manual procedure and after 20 minutes, it finally worked. I find it difficult to believe the the sensors in the fenders would fail just after replacing the wheels and TPMS sensors. I would try going through the menu again and be sure to save the settings during the process. I also recommend staying with Beru Huf sensors as the other brands can be hit or miss regarding performance/compability.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:31 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

See here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-mounting.html
Old 11-12-2017, 01:49 AM
Lambo_guy
Track Day

Originally Posted by semicycler
Thank you, that's helpful! I wish someone had the stock wiring routing from the back to the front, I think maybe the issue is there.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:01 AM
Lambo_guy
Track Day

Quite interesting stuff are happening here, so please take a look at the gauge pod screen, it shows that there is no signal from the left side

I had a Porsche code reader so I pulled any info I could find from the TPMS and surprisingly it was showing that the left front is working fine and that there are the rear sensors the ones that are not communicating right (I condensed the information in the table below for easier reading).

I'm curious if its the code reader or the gauge pod that is right...

In any case today - Saturday night - I decided to removed the rear fender liners and see what's happening. To my surprise the left rear sensor seemed to be perfect but the rear right looked like the sensors cable had been pitched between the fender and the fender liner. Remember this sensor (based on the gauge pod) is working fine... and that's the only one that looked that could have had an issue.

I tried to disconnect the cable but unfortunately it disappears up inside the cabin so I'll probably need remove the interior to locate it - hopefully it doesn't go all the way in one piece...

Old 11-12-2017, 10:20 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Try swapping the wheels left to right. It's possible the batteries in the wheel TPM sensors are dead. At least this will confirm they work properly and you are on the right track with the antennas/wiring in the car.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:55 AM
Lambo_guy
Track Day

I just wanted to update everyone that the problem disappeared after I:
- freed up the pinched sensor wire
- unplugged all the sensors, cleaned their contacts and put them back together

FYI semicycler I had already installed new sensors so I didn’t swap the wheels since all the sensors were new
Old 11-14-2017, 04:56 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Good outcome... now pls send me your old sensors for my winter wheels!
Old 11-23-2017, 11:11 AM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lambo_guy
Quite interesting stuff are happening here, so please take a look at the gauge pod screen, it shows that there is no signal from the left side

I had a Porsche code reader so I pulled any info I could find from the TPMS and surprisingly it was showing that the left front is working fine and that there are the rear sensors the ones that are not communicating right (I condensed the information in the table below for easier reading).

I'm curious if its the code reader or the gauge pod that is right...

In any case today - Saturday night - I decided to removed the rear fender liners and see what's happening. To my surprise the left rear sensor seemed to be perfect but the rear right looked like the sensors cable had been pitched between the fender and the fender liner. Remember this sensor (based on the gauge pod) is working fine... and that's the only one that looked that could have had an issue.

I tried to disconnect the cable but unfortunately it disappears up inside the cabin so I'll probably need remove the interior to locate it - hopefully it doesn't go all the way in one piece...

Good post. Was surprised by the fact that both rear antennas where out at the same as a result of what turned out to a poor connection issues ? Where there any visible signs of sufficient dirt/oxidation build up on connectors to suggest that they were interfering with the signals from the sensors ?
Old 04-23-2018, 04:48 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts

Good info here

vetfever

Quick Reply: TPMS / where are the vehicle/fender well sensors located?