Sponsored by:

Please free me from analysis paralysis

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 11:40 PM
Cheeto
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please free me from analysis paralysis

I'm stuck. I have two excellent well cared for 997.1 cars I'm looking at and I can't make up my mind. It has gotten so bad that I don't think I've actually done one ounce of real work in a week (or two), it is affecting my sleep and it is driving my family crazy. The choice is simply between a 997.1 C2S or a C4S. Same price. Both Sport Plus. Both Manuals. Mileage within 10k miles (higher on the C4S). Color is even similar (Arctic vs Carrera GT Silver) ... etc etc.

The C2S has adaptive sport seats, full leather, classic Carrera wheels, and the gundo mod.
The C4S has supple leather seats, nice aftermarket wheels (HRE or knockoffs), short shift kit, tint and a protective paint coating

I've read every article and watched every Youtube video on C4S vs C2S on handling and while I understand that the C4S will feel a little heavier on turn and more planted will I ever really notice?

Be my conscious and whisper in my ear what to do!!!!!
Old 11-02-2017, 11:45 PM
Danny271
Intermediate

Default GT Silver

GT Silver is a hell of a color...
Old 11-02-2017, 11:47 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 962 Posts

Simple

Drive them both

One will speak to you

If you dont need AWD buy the C2S

Or, like some the wide body is worth the AWD even if you dont need it

Last, dont over think it. Buy it, drive and enjoy. If you get bored sell it and get another. It's not like getting married.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:55 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 144 Posts

The C4S will be a tad heavier feeling in the front but feel much more planted in turns. Some like the C2S so they can swing the rear around. I drove both and got the 4S. It is noticeable in twisty roads. If its just a DD commuter car, then you won't really feel it.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:00 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How can you go wrong with either? Feel you pain as I have waffled on what model to get but it finally came to me. Still looking but I think I just found one. Let us know. RJ
Old 11-03-2017, 12:03 AM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Just got my C2S last week. It is extraordinary. So happy I did! I'm afraid I don't have much of a comparison, as I recently drove a '69 911T (a piece of glorious machinery, but very different animal), and a 964 C4. So, no useful apples-to-apples 2 vs. 4. But all amazing. Would love any of them. But I'm super glad I got my 05 997 C2. Suits me perfectly. I just love the feeling of being pushed from behind with no pull. Your experience may be different. Dude, it's a Porsche, you can't go wrong! Totally agree with 996AE. Your heart will speak to you when you drive them. Enjoy and take a break from driving whichever you pick to let us know!!!
Old 11-03-2017, 12:06 AM
Cheeto
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 996AE
Simple

Drive them both

The C4S is 8 hour drive away so I'll have to see if I can find another local one that I can drive. Highly unlikely I would need the C4S here as this is not a DD, just a weekend car to drive in the hills and potentially some infrequent track use.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:07 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
Simple

Drive them both

One will speak to you

Or, like some the wide body is worth the AWD even if you dont need it

Last, dont over think it. Buy it, drive and enjoy. If you get bored sell it and get another. It's not like getting married.
Truth!!
T
Old 11-03-2017, 12:11 AM
Cheeto
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DC911S
It is noticeable in twisty roads.
Noticeable in a good way I assume?
Old 11-03-2017, 12:27 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

When I was looking I wanted the C4S, I just like the butt better. I think it will visually age better to me. I ended up with a C2S though since I couldn't find a Tip I wanted in a C4s.

Are they the same year? If you don't care visually between the two then get the one that is best cared for. Hopefully also that would be the newer one.

You do need to drive both, you'll know. Also it would have saved two weeks of agony.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:34 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 144 Posts

Most of the time the C4S is pushing from the rear, but if the sensors think it’s needed power will go to the front as well. In the 997.2 it can go 100 percent to the front but I’ve never made mine do that yet. It’s pretty seamless. It would be neat to datalog thst and see what it’s up to.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:37 AM
rwdds
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

All of these responses are spot on. Like Chiro, I'm a rookie, only in my C2S for 7 months. Best 7 months of my life.

Stop pondering and pull the trigger, either of these cars are going to give you goosebumps.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:41 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Try and drive the 4S soon, otherwise one of them will sell and it will make the choice easier for you! As many have said you can't really go wrong with either.

If you live in a cold/wet/snowy place, the C4S might be more surefooted all-year round.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:55 AM
Cheeto
8th Gear

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
If you live in a cold/wet/snowy place, the C4S might be more surefooted all-year round.
In the SF bay area so pretty temperate and I doubt I would ever drive it up into the mountains during snow.

Thanks everyone for the quick advice.... it's helped get me over the hump and I've decided to go with the C2S.... oh wait... is that an E92 M3 for $15k less?... or what about that 997 turbo for just $15k more? ... damnit!
Old 11-03-2017, 07:04 AM
heatz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheeto
I'm stuck. I have two excellent well cared for 997.1 cars I'm looking at and I can't make up my mind. It has gotten so bad that I don't think I've actually done one ounce of real work in a week (or two), it is affecting my sleep and it is driving my family crazy. The choice is simply between a 997.1 C2S or a C4S. Same price. Both Sport Plus. Both Manuals. Mileage within 10k miles (higher on the C4S). Color is even similar (Arctic vs Carrera GT Silver) ... etc etc.

The C2S has adaptive sport seats, full leather, classic Carrera wheels, and the gundo mod.
The C4S has supple leather seats, nice aftermarket wheels (HRE or knockoffs), short shift kit, tint and a protective paint coating

I've read every article and watched every Youtube video on C4S vs C2S on handling and while I understand that the C4S will feel a little heavier on turn and more planted will I ever really notice?

Be my conscious and whisper in my ear what to do!!!!!
Hilarious as I am in the same boat. Up at 4am checking carguru - def analysis paralysis. Damn that engineering degree! I have an offer on one right now but am arguing the results of PPI and have already found another one to consider. Hope this ends in a week or less and hope my boss doesn't monitor internet usage at work... Good luck.

Quick Reply: Please free me from analysis paralysis