Sponsored by:

Swapping Seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017 | 06:31 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Default Swapping Seats

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone successfully swapped over from comfort seats or even the manual seats to Adaptive 18 Way Sport Seats? When looking at cars, I am finding that very few cars were optioned with both full leather and 18 way seats together, and obviously doing full leather later on is going to be impossible, whereas seats are much easier. My main concern would be the wiring harness on the 18 ways and if it is different than what would come in the car. I would prefer to not have to adjust the wiring in anyway. Another concern would be how the car would react since it would expect to have memory function, but it won't since I would have comfort seats. Just want a definitive answer since sport seats are an important option but if I can install them later with full function then I would be fine with it.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2017 | 07:52 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I switch back and forth between comfort seats and bucket seats, BOTH don't have heated seats so the plugin is exactly the same, one is manual, the other power. So, I'd say if both seats are heated seats you should be able to swap super easily.
Old 10-30-2017 | 07:59 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No personal experience but someone said the heater plug in changed from 997.1 to 997.2. Someone posted they tried to do it and were running into problems.

I'm sure if no heat it would be a direct swap.
Old 10-30-2017 | 08:33 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Thanks to both of you, much appreciated. I am looking only at 997.2's. Would most likely be going from a heated and cooled comfort seat to an 18 way, which would only have heating. Wondering if that would work.
Old 10-30-2017 | 10:06 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Thanks to both of you, much appreciated. I am looking only at 997.2's. Would most likely be going from a heated and cooled comfort seat to an 18 way, which would only have heating. Wondering if that would work.
Cannot comment on heated AND Cooled seats to only heated, there maybe a risk, but I assume some pins of heated seats are not used and then taken up by the cooling seats.
Old 10-30-2017 | 10:09 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
Cannot comment on heated AND Cooled seats to only heated, there maybe a risk, but I assume some pins of heated seats are not used and then taken up by the cooling seats.
Ok that makes sense. What I could always do is go from the comfort seats to 2 way sport adaptive seats that have electric back rest but the slider for forward and back and then the lever for up and down. At that point would just be wondering if the airbag sensor is a separate one, and also how the backrest would work. So many unknowns when it comes to swapping seats and I definitely wouldn’t want to throw $2-3k around randomly on seats to find out.
Old 11-16-2017 | 04:46 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Anymore info on this? If going from 14 to 18 way, would this work?

My thinking from what I have read is if you have a car with memory, then you can get the 18 ways. Otherwise, get the manual seats if you do not, since they don't have memory. Apparently there is a memory module on the seat or in the car and if you don't connect it to something then they wont work. Trying to figure out if I value 18 way seats more, or full leather when searching for cars, but I think the seats will be most important, unless I can swap in later.
Old 11-16-2017 | 04:53 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

im in the same boat, but my car currently has carbon sport buckets and i want to go to sport plus seats just dont know if they will be plug and play. Let me know if you find any useful info anywhere on this.
Old 11-17-2017 | 11:00 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bronz
im in the same boat, but my car currently has carbon sport buckets and i want to go to sport plus seats just dont know if they will be plug and play. Let me know if you find any useful info anywhere on this.
Yes, I have this as my question also, since I am looking at launch cars also with buckets. What do you not like about the buckets?
Old 12-02-2017 | 11:25 PM
swc99
Rennlist Member

Yes, I would also like to know if you could go from the 2 way manual seats to the 14 way seats without any electrical modifications. I have the 2 way and don't like the manual height adjustment because it pivots about the front of the seat. The height adjustment on the electric seats pivot around the hip point. If anyone with seat swap experience could chime in, that would be great!

Quick Reply: Swapping Seats