Sponsored by:

997.2 misfire problem code P0204

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 10:52 AM
gerryfrost
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 misfire problem code P0204

Hi There. Any help or assistance with my issue will be much appreciated…..997.2 2010 with 38k on the clock.All running fine. Not used for 3 weeks then went on 100 mile drive. 99 miles of the drive fine and driven fairly leisurely (M25!) and on last mile of trip, put my foot down a bit and then MIL light came on.Checked with a generic OBD11 reader and got the following codes:
P0204 injector circuit malfunction – cylinder 4
P0270 cylinder 4 injector – circuit low
P0304 cylinder 4 – misfire detected
So, seems like an injector fault or wiring fault. Thinking it might be ignition problem to that cylinder and knowing coil packs can be an issue, I have swopped spark plug and coil packs over from another cylinder – no change.Being cylinder 4, it is the easiest to see the injector, so I have check the resistance and it shows 1.4 Ohms (seems low but not a short) and connected (tapped) a 12v signal to it and you can hear the injector opening/clicking.I have tried tapping the injector with a metal rod to try and free any deposits (but scared to knock it too hard!)In my mind, it seems like dirt or a dirty injector but I am fairly mechanically minded (changing plugs and coil packs on a 997 isn’t that easy as you know…) but I am really not confident about trying to remove the injector as it looks like a bit of a nightmare.

I know I can swop the injectors over to see if the fault moves but the amount of work involved tells me to just replace the injector while I am there. Porsche quote £179.15 for the part 9A1 110 129 10. I am sure I can find the Bosch or whatever OEM part for less if I search…… It is clearly running on only 5 cylinders and I have tried to ‘blast it - Italian tune up’ to clear the problem but no change – and don’t really want to drive it more with the problem. I have reset the codes but it comes on straight away when started again and runs lumpy from startup.
Being 38k miles, a few friends told me it is VERY unlikely to be an injector but I cannot see it can be anything else? Was thinking of buying some archoil cleaner (or similar) but think that might not cure the problem if it is a faulty injector rather than just dirt/deposits in the injector……..and if the injector is not injecting fuel, how will cleaner ‘clean it’ ?

Any suggestions from anyone before I have to try and replace the injector? It looks like a big job! (or get someone else to do it for me) or will a higher spec OBD reader give me more information – is it worth getting an indie to run it up on a ‘proper’ reader or just a waste of time? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gerryfrost; 12-04-2017 at 01:57 PM. Reason: text to look better

Quick Reply: 997.2 misfire problem code P0204