Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap phone mount - works great!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 08:27 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cheap phone mount - works great!

I recently purchased a very inexpensive phone mount that works GREAT on the 997.2 and positions the phone in the perfect position to view while driving (for example, using Waze).

Amazon Amazon

It's a vent mount, but it's very stable, doesn't seem to put undue stress on the vent, and brings the phone out enough to be able to turn and tilt it, and also allows the vent to remain useable.

It attaches to the phone with a magnetic place that can either be stuck on to the phone or case using the included adhesive, or simply slipped between the case and the phone.

For me, it totally obviates the need to buy an expensive Proclip.

(Sorry for the sideways photos, not sure how to rotate)
Attached Images    
Old 10-29-2017, 07:31 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

Use the exact same mount in the 997 and Cayenne S. It works great.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:43 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

had the same one but got the CD slot magnetic mount a few months later. this vent mount will stay vertical until you hit a few bumps, then the spring tension gripper starts to slip out. as it slips out the vent slats droop (since they are designed to move up and down). This makes your phone droop and flop around a bit.

i found myself having to reseat it every 15-30 min of driving. got too annoying and nabbed the CD slot magnetic holder. Works MUCH better. this thing is now reserved to my travel bag for rental cars.

just one man's review
Old 10-30-2017, 12:48 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by nwGTS
had the same one but got the CD slot magnetic mount a few months later. this vent mount will stay vertical until you hit a few bumps, then the spring tension gripper starts to slip out. as it slips out the vent slats droop (since they are designed to move up and down). This makes your phone droop and flop around a bit.

i found myself having to reseat it every 15-30 min of driving. got too annoying and nabbed the CD slot magnetic holder. Works MUCH better. this thing is now reserved to my travel bag for rental cars.

just one man's review
nwGTS,

Which CD slot magnetic mount do you have?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2017, 02:13 PM
max540i
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've tried a bunch of options. For magnetic mounts, CD mount worked best for me. However, with the combination of iphone 6 plus's weight and the 997.2 ride i found the phone wouldn't stay put. So I switched to the
non-magnetic version non-magnetic version

Problem is the CD mount obscures too much, so I ended up with the ProClip and I've been happy with that.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:56 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

I have a similar mount, has small rubber fins that project from the back. Similar to this one here:
Link on Amazon Link on Amazon

Works great in the vent and it will also fit in the center console ashtray where the cigarette lighter goes. Just put the passenger side in first, then it slides in and is stable. Works for me when I don't need nav as my charging cord is only 1 foot and won't reach the dash.

I have also taken out the metal part in the center console ashtray and it fits my iPhone 8 plus perfectly.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:38 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kellen
I have a similar mount, has small rubber fins that project from the back. Similar to this one here: Link on Amazon

Works great in the vent and it will also fit in the center console ashtray where the cigarette lighter goes. Just put the passenger side in first, then it slides in and is stable. Works for me when I don't need nav as my charging cord is only 1 foot and won't reach the dash.

I have also taken out the metal part in the center console ashtray and it fits my iPhone 8 plus perfectly.
I had been using the same type as you for the last few months, but found that the angle of the 997 vent (ie slightly downward) made the phone position a little awkward. This one brings it out an inch, and that makes a huge difference.

nwGTS, I completely understand your problem, and this is definitely an issue if you just clip it on to the vent. However, I haven't found it to sag with bumps yet - the way I have it attached to the top vane wedges the top "finger" of the mount against the top of the vent, and keeps it from tipping down.

I keep my old "four finger" type ones for MY travel bag now!
Old 11-02-2017, 04:21 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I have similar magnet but on the vent-mounted proclip that is angled towards the driver. Superb and no damage to the trim either. Have the magnet setup on alll four cars in the family.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:31 PM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Kenu Airframe. Works great. Vent mounted. Have it in both my cars

Quick Reply: Cheap phone mount - works great!