Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found the exact 997 I'm looking for but now afraid to pull the trigger UPDATE - SOLD

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 04:45 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Found the exact 997 I'm looking for but now afraid to pull the trigger UPDATE - SOLD

2008 911 S Cabriolet in Cobalt Blue and Sand Beige interior. Very nice car with only 25,000 miles and clean Carfax. Dealer asking $48,000.

Anyone else find what they wanted and then got cold feet? What made you buy it or pass on it?

This is would be my first Porsche.

Thanks. RJ

UPDATE: CAR HAS SOLD. Just when I was getting my finances in order to head back to the dealer, I found out that the car has sold. Crap. You snooze, you lose. Lesson learned. Have a plan B car in Santa Monica. 2007 911 S Cab with 55,000 miles and in gray. Asking $39,000. Already had a forum member inspect it and it looks fine.

Last edited by SoCal RJ; 10-26-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:59 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

well what are you scared of.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:06 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
2008 911 S Cabriolet in Cobalt Blue and Sand Beige interior. Very nice car with only 25,000 miles and clean Carfax. Dealer asking $48,000.

Anyone else find what they wanted and then got cold feet? What made you buy it or pass on it?

This is would be my first Porsche.

Thanks. RJ
I would go for it. But if you are getting cold feet regarding the "exact" car you are looking for, it is not the exact car. Maybe the car is right but the price is wrong (this is too much IMO), you feel you are sacrificing space you need, more than you can afford, etc.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:18 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
I would go for it. But if you are getting cold feet regarding the "exact" car you are looking for, it is not the exact car. Maybe the car is right but the price is wrong (this is too much IMO), you feel you are sacrificing space you need, more than you can afford, etc.

It it is the exact car. The price is high because of the low miles I'm guessing. Both KBB and NADA say it is in dealer range. I can afford it but it is a lot of money. Maybe I'm not ready for a Porsche yet or I should look at something less expensive for my first one.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:21 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

I did roughly the same thing 2 years ago and bought a 2006 C2S with 27 k miles and no service records. The PPI was perfect but I now know it was not thorough enough( and it was a P dealer ). I bought it and love it. My downside was selling it for about what I paid for it and it was a wonderful gamble that I won. I had owned 7 new Corvettes but was not excited enough about buying my eighth. This was a much better choice.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:21 PM
Floyd Landis
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It might be a few $$ high, and you might find the same or better car for a little less. How much to you think you might save? How long will it take? Assuming you've done your ppi and eveyrthing looks right, pull the trigger. Will you be happy if you save $2500 on a similar car in 6 months? As your attorney I advise you to take the plunge.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:39 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
Originally Posted by Floyd Landis
It might be a few $$ high, and you might find the same or better car for a little less. How much to you think you might save? How long will it take? Assuming you've done your ppi and eveyrthing looks right, pull the trigger. Will you be happy if you save $2500 on a similar car in 6 months? As your attorney I advise you to take the plunge.
Thanks. Good points. I always appreciate good legal advice.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:53 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

If your finances are in order, a PPI works out, it is close to a reasonable price, and as you said it's "the exact 997 I'm looking for," then you should be all over this like bums on a baloney sandwich! Life's short, if this is your dream car, buy it, drive the living heck out of it, and if in the future it leaves you stranded by the side of the road, so be it, you'll have a lot of happy memories if you've driven the way the good Dr. Porsche intended!
T
Old 10-25-2017, 06:05 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My problem is exactly the opposite. I don't think enough, I just plunge. Picking up my 2010 C4S , MT tomorrow! 50K miles, CPO $52,999 . Just buy it. Go for it!!!
Old 10-25-2017, 06:06 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
If your finances are in order, a PPI works out, it is close to a reasonable price, and as you said it's "the exact 997 I'm looking for," then you should be all over this like bums on a baloney sandwich! Life's short, if this is your dream car, buy it, drive the living heck out of it, and if in the future it leaves you stranded by the side of the road, so be it, you'll have a lot of happy memories if you've driven the way the good Dr. Porsche intended!
T
Great pep talk! Thanks. RJ
Old 10-25-2017, 06:12 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I definitely got super cold feet and lost more than one night's sleep sweating about it.
tl;dr I bought the car, no regrets.

I was looking at buying my first "second" car and was kinda all over the place in what I wanted, how much I could afford/wanted to spend etc. Friend convinced me to test drive a 987.1 Cayman S @ a carmax near him. Two days before I left I found a 997.2 C2S for sale and everything looked good. Miles were high (72k), the price was right, but it was more than I was planning on spending, and was basically as much as I could afford. I ended up putting a deposit on it and buying a 1 way ticket.

Drove to my buddy's for the weekend to drive the Cayman and the car was a nightmare. Clutch was TOAST. Test drive lasted <100ft out of the parking lot before I turned around because I didn't want to be liable for any damages. The clutch was slipping at 1/2 throttle in 2nd gear. No exaggeration, undrivable, among a few other cosmetic issues. Went back and told them they could not sell the car in this condition. I can only guess that they took the car on trade without a test drive.

Anyways, this really made me think about buying the 997, which I wouldn't have been able to repair if any issue cropped up. Ended up buying it because I can't resist peer pressure, among other reasons. Car has been great.

That Cayman ended up becoming unavailable the following week, then was relisted 2mo later, transferred to another dealer, and finally sold 6mo after I drove it.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:38 PM
JR1de57
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my dream car a few weeks ago (not a P car unfortunately) but I had cold feet a few days before I was going to go thru with it. Finally said screw it and bought it. Been on Cloud 9 since and no looking back! So glad I did it! If the car checks out and it is exactly what you want buy it! (I'm assuming you have already drove it as well) Also maybe offer lower for it if that would make the deal for you. Worst thing they will say is no. Good Luck!
Old 10-25-2017, 06:46 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shekmark
My problem is exactly the opposite. I don't think enough, I just plunge. Picking up my 2010 C4S , MT tomorrow! 50K miles, CPO $52,999 . Just buy it. Go for it!!!

Congratulations on that! Hope I step up like you.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:50 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JR1de57
I just bought my dream car a few weeks ago (not a P car unfortunately) but I had cold feet a few days before I was going to go thru with it. Finally said screw it and bought it. Been on Cloud 9 since and no looking back! So glad I did it! If the car checks out and it is exactly what you want buy it! (I'm assuming you have already drove it as well) Also maybe offer lower for it if that would make the deal for you. Worst thing they will say is no. Good Luck!
Thanks. Glad it well for you. Congrats. RJ
Old 10-25-2017, 06:51 PM
05Mdriver
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

Its a big purchase and big decision.. but a great motivator to work harder too.. I say go for it !

Quick Reply: Found the exact 997 I'm looking for but now afraid to pull the trigger UPDATE - SOLD