Sponsored by:

What is this gunk?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 10:05 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by platinum997
Definitely antifreeze and oil... Water and oil mix looks different.

Check AOS and your coolant reservoir.

I think your a 4.0 build right?
Yup, agree that it seems to be coolant and oil. Have had to add a bit of coolant lately....
Old 10-05-2017, 10:10 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Who did the engine build?
Old 10-05-2017, 11:09 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 262 Posts

Definitely oil and antifreeze mixture. Just had that on a car and it was confirmed by the fact that antifreeze level was always dropping. Have you had to add Anti freeze
Old 10-06-2017, 07:41 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Yup, agree that it seems to be coolant and oil. Have had to add a bit of coolant lately....
ya might have added that lil tidbit of info on your first post
Old 10-06-2017, 08:58 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

didnt occur to me till after it was mentioned, thats why i asked. but thanks anyways
Old 10-07-2017, 10:38 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's horrible.

hopefully it's something "minor" like the oil cooler or AOS. Both PITA jobs though.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:09 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Are you using the pink Porsche style coolant? Or the green stuff in most domestic cars?
Old 10-07-2017, 02:58 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Mmm milk!

Sorry to hear, that doesn't look good
Old 10-07-2017, 03:58 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
Are you using the pink Porsche style coolant? Or the green stuff in most domestic cars?
and this means what to the possible milkshake intermix issue ...it is pretty much gonna beezz chocolate milkshake.....not strawberry or irish shanty
Old 10-07-2017, 10:02 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
and this means what to the possible milkshake intermix issue ...it is pretty much gonna beezz chocolate milkshake.....not strawberry or irish shanty
Because the first photo looks green mixed with oil. And Vern had his engine rebuilt. And I'm curious as if he stuck with OEM pink coolant after the rebuild or switched to something else.

Next to oil threads, coolant color comes up often. Coolant in oil is bad as we all know. Hoping Vern's issue is minor as others are too.

Unrelated perhaps, but why the green tinge?
Old 10-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

To clear the air: A few people have mentioned this thread to me; asking if this engine was built by Flat 6 Innovations. NO, it was not.

I'll still try to help, though...

This does look a lot like condensation in the oil. That said, it would be considered a lot in my opinion. Either this engine is being driven on very short trips, or it has gone a long time between oil services.

It could also be intermix. Was the engine's heat exchanger replaced during the rebuild? I never trust heat exchangers, and replace them in every circumstance. Time in service doesn't do them any favors.

A used oil analysis is in order for this one. The percentage of water intrusion will shed light on this, and will identify condensation, or intermix clearly. If the engine oil shows water intrusion, but no glycol, then the water entered the system in some way other than from the cooling system.

Ironically Vern sent me a private message once upon a time after I stated that a "piece of paper won't protect an engine from failure". I was referring to warrantys, and how they are often falsely used to market and sell engines.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:44 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Who built the motor?
Old 10-08-2017, 02:05 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

Ironically Vern sent me a private message once upon a time after I stated that a "piece of paper won't protect an engine from failure". I was referring to warrantys, and how they are often falsely used to market and sell engines.
Use of good warranties to drive sales is a fairly common business strategy. As long as the profits from such a strategy are higher than the cost of warranty recovery, they win. Midas mufflers are (or were) a good example. I went through I think three or four lifetime Midas warranties.... their mufflers were made of crappy metal IMO... but it sure drove sales!

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-08-2017, 07:50 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Use of good warranties to drive sales is a fairly common business strategy
The best "business strategy" is to build something good enough that it doesn't need a "strategy", marketing, or a warranty to sell it. That means word of mouth is doing its job, and people are satisfied with what they paid for enough to tell their friend about it.

I see these "image guys" all over the place in the Porsche industry. Their gimmicks make me sick to my stomach. Their false impressions are transparent to someone like me, but the average sucker out there falls for it. Just like flashy fishing lures, that catch fisherman, and not fish. I'll take 5 minutes to dig up some worms, and bring back a stringer full of fish, without buying a single lure anyday. That's just me.

Anyway, don't need to hi- jack this technical thread....
OP, are you using Brad Penn engine oil? That green hue in the condensate makes me think that you are.

What is your typical commute in drive time and miles? When was the oil changed last?

Quick Reply: What is this gunk?