Sponsored by:

Fabspeed Headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 10:14 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fabspeed Headers

I'm considering exhaust mods for my 06 997 S, does anyone have any experience with Fabspeed headers?
Old 09-29-2017, 11:17 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

I have not added the headers but thought I'd chime in about the great quality and improvements I have experienced with Fabspeed. My 1st mod was the Fab Dual Air Intake, then the 200 cel cat bypass pipes were installed. ECU tune thru their shop finished it for this year. Worth every penny and the fit and finish are superb. I will probably have the GT3 throttle body done next and retune. I should do the headers, but it is plenty loud for my neighborhood as is.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:40 AM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, I did 200 cell cats on my 993, but never did the headers. I didn't find the cats to increase the noise a lot.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

I have a complete Fabspeed setup on my 997.1 - J-pipe intake, equal length long tube headers, valvetronic mufflers, 200 cell X-cats. Excellent quality, fit, and finish and no issues at all over the 4 years they've been installed.

The headers wont increase the sound much if at all, just improve the flow by properly sequencing the exhaust pulses and eliminating the turbulence within the stock header design.

Last edited by Petza914; 10-02-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:35 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would recommend OEM X51 (same as GT3) headers. Factory quality and proven performance

For muffler, it's more about sound than power (regardless of the claims of manufacturers, or fan boy owners who never did a before/after dyno but are certain of power increases). I like Tubi and Akrapovic, but it's a subjective call.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:47 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

See this thread where I posted a lot of info on headers with pics - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post14461623

Neither the stock OEM or X51 header design is as good as the Fabspeed one. For optimal flow, the length of the pipes from all the cylinders on one side of the motor need to be the same and the gasses should flow in the sane direction where they merge into the collector, not come in from different angles, which creates turbulence and inefficiency.

Last edited by Petza914; 10-02-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:05 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I just replaced my997.2 X51 headers and cat with the Fabspeed headers and 200 cell cat. Earlier this year I replaced the third muffler with Fabspeed X pipe. On each upgrade there was a little bit of increase, performance wise, but the sound is sooooo much better. Car finally sounds like it has some *****!
Old 10-02-2017, 12:43 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaelc
I'm considering exhaust mods for my 06 997 S, does anyone have any experience with Fabspeed headers?
Hey Michael! These guys below have done an awesome job of covering the bases regarding our headers and exhaust systems on your car. If you are looking to pull more power from your car, I would recommend our Sport Cat X-Pipe to eliminate the restrictive factory cats, and either headers, ECU tune, or mufflers to compliment your exhaust suite. Or go the full system like Petza! I'll shoot over a PM and we can chat about what setup might work best to fit your needs

Originally Posted by rwdds
I have not added the headers but thought I'd chime in about the great quality and improvements I have experienced with Fabspeed. My 1st mod was the Fab Dual Air Intake, then the 200 cel cat bypass pipes were installed. ECU tune thru their shop finished it for this year. Worth every penny and the fit and finish are superb. I will probably have the GT3 throttle body done next and retune. I should do the headers, but it is plenty loud for my neighborhood as is.
Thanks for posting up rwdds! Appreciate the kinds words regarding your system. Glad you're loving it! GT3 throttle body would be a great next mod, along with a set of headers! You'll see why below...

Originally Posted by Petza914
I have a complete Fabspeed setup on my 997.1 - J-pipe intake, equal length long tube headers, valvetronic mufflers, 200 cell X-cats. No issues, excellent quality, fit, and finish and no issues at all over the 4 years they've been installed.

The headers wont increase the sound much if at all, just improve the flow by properly sequencing the exhaust pulses and eliminating the turbulence within the stock header design.
See this thread where I posted a lot of info on headers with pics - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post14461623

Neither the stock OEM or X51 header design is as good as the Fabspeed one. For optimal flow, the length of the pipes from all the cylinders on one side of the motor need to be the same and the gasses should flow in the sane direction where they merge into the collector, not come in from different angles, which creates turbulence and inefficiency.
Hey Petza! Definitely recognize your name/car, thanks for posting up about your Fabspeed system. I couldn't have said it better regarding the header design! Even the X51 header design has improvements to be made (it's essentially the non-S header with larger tubing):

Check out the 997 S and X51 headers side by side:

Our design incorporates a proper merge collector and eliminates turbulence and inefficiency by incorporating a longer tube design than stock, a more equal tube length than stock, and a velocity spike inside the merge collector to help smooth out the flow:

Originally Posted by swoardrider
I just replaced my997.2 X51 headers and cat with the Fabspeed headers and 200 cell cat. Earlier this year I replaced the third muffler with Fabspeed X pipe. On each upgrade there was a little bit of increase, performance wise, but the sound is sooooo much better. Car finally sounds like it has some *****!
Thanks for the kind words about your Fabspeed system! Glad to see you enjoying it. Let me know if you need anything!

Old 10-02-2017, 01:48 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

I never understood why the non S has a better design than the S.

Assuming that also means that the S sees better gains since the oem S is so restrictive?
Old 10-04-2017, 05:26 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by platinum997
I never understood why the non S has a better design than the S.

Assuming that also means that the S sees better gains since the oem S is so restrictive?
Porsche is very calculating in their model lineup. I suspect to get the S to fall where they wanted between the base and x51 they restricted the S exhaust and saved some money to boot. That S header is ugly.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemessi
Porsche is very calculating in their model lineup. I suspect to get the S to fall where they wanted between the base and x51 they restricted the S exhaust and saved some money to boot. That S header is ugly.
They're both ugly honestly! even the X51 design does not have a proper merge collector. As you mention Porsche is very precise in its lineup and model ranking! Restricting exhaust systems/components is only one way they accomplish this.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

yeah I would think, even without dyno testing that fabspeed (or just about anyones) headers would be better than stock, even stock x51. I have an x51 engine and I'll be upgrading the headers and cats as well.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:52 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

For optimal flow, the length of the pipes from all the cylinders on one side of the motor need to be the same and the gasses should flow in the sane direction where they merge into the collector, not come in from different angles, which creates turbulence and inefficiency.
This is a good layman's explanation for those interested:
It's all about managing pressure waves.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:06 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Makes sense
Old 10-05-2017, 01:12 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
yeah I would think, even without dyno testing that fabspeed (or just about anyones) headers would be better than stock, even stock x51. I have an x51 engine and I'll be upgrading the headers and cats as well.
Please please do a before and after dyno and post it

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Headers