Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose Head Unit Replacement in a 997S for under $150 and in 30 minutes or less....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 01:07 AM
BallVice
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok - got it all pulled apart - thank god for Friday nights -

Anyone know/remember the wiring harness?

Brown is Ground
Red Green is HOT (red)
Yellow is - well Yellow

what about the other connections?

Green
YellowBlue Wrapped around Blue/Black
whiteRed
These are all on the secondary harness

BTW - I can post pics is anyone cares - I had to pull mo MoBridge out - if anyone needs a reminder on FiberOptics - let me know.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:16 PM
BallVice
Intermediate

Disregard
- I got it fully installed - everything is working great - no issues -
Old 07-03-2018, 12:40 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by TV911
Thanks! I'll see if I can wire this to the back side of the fuse panel (for a cleaner connection), and I'll share a picture if I'm successful. It looks like I should be able to pull the fuse panel and tap into the fused power connection as shown in Figure 1 from this procedure... https://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techar...arge/pic01.jpg
i’m confused. Isn’t there permanent 12V and switched 12V in the original harness? Why not tap in these sources?
Old 07-03-2018, 01:29 AM
BallVice
Intermediate

Powering the HU and the HUR.

Recommendations i saw - and even the original poster ran the ACC to the fuse box.

I used B9. Works great.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:31 AM
BallVice
Intermediate

Powering the HU and the HUR.

Recommendations i saw - and even the original poster ran the ACC to the fuse box.

I used B9. Works great.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:19 AM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hows the color match on that silver Metra install kit guys?
Old 07-03-2018, 11:22 AM
BallVice
Intermediate

Meh - I think there is a better option out there.

If youre going to do this - let me know and I’ll lost what I would do over.

Sorry - on mobile - too much to type
Old 07-03-2018, 11:35 AM
BallVice
Intermediate

Google DelReyCustoms - or look them up in Youtube - I think they have a better option then the Metra - I may actually call them and buy their kit and swap it out for what I have today -

The fitment of the Metra is just OK too -

AND - DO NOT TEST FIT IT --- you have to take the entire dash apart to get it out ---- speaking from experience - UGH!!!!
Old 07-03-2018, 11:45 AM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BallVice
Google DelReyCustoms - or look them up in Youtube - I think they have a better option then the Metra - I may actually call them and buy their kit and swap it out for what I have today -

The fitment of the Metra is just OK too -

AND - DO NOT TEST FIT IT --- you have to take the entire dash apart to get it out ---- speaking from experience - UGH!!!!
I'll check them out, thanks!

I have access to a few black dash kits, I may buy a few different colors of paint and see what I can come up with in terms of a good match.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:53 AM
b0rderman
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Apologies for the aside here, but it seems like this thread has the attention of a few members that might know the answer to a quick question I have.

My 997.1 w/ the bose stereo already has an aftermarket Kenwood touchscreen installed and working just fine albeit slow and outdated. I'd like to upgrade to a newer wifi Carplay unit, possibly an Alpine.

Here's the question: does the fact that I already have a working aftermarket head unit mean that swapping in the newer Alpine unit will require little to no brain damage as far as the quirkiness of the OEM Bose fiber optic system? Is there any easy way to quickly determine what solution the previous owner used to install the aftermarket unit?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2018, 02:49 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

BallVice @Mikerx80 bhvrdr
Thanks for all the updates, I am ready to pull the trigger and install a Pioneer AVH 1440-NEX

Couple of questions about the wiring:
The Pioneer has these three wires which need to be connected:
  • Lighting
  • Power for Antenna
  • Parking brake
I am assuming I simply ground the parking brake wire, so that I can operate the unit all the time?
Did you find which wires in the Porsche harness are for Lighting and Antenna-power?
  • Bonus question 1: My PCM 3.0 has Sirius/XM, can I re-use the existing Sirius/XM Antenna ?
  • Bonus question 2: Do you know on which pins on the Porsche harness the microphone is (I would like to re-use that as well to have the install look as OEM as possible)
Old 07-03-2018, 03:04 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

Hopefully you should only be doing the new head unit's harness connections (if the previous owner used a MOST box and retained the amplifier).
Unfortunately, you have to remove the head unit to know for sure how the previous owner had it setup.

Originally Posted by b0rderman
Apologies for the aside here, but it seems like this thread has the attention of a few members that might know the answer to a quick question I have.

My 997.1 w/ the bose stereo already has an aftermarket Kenwood touchscreen installed and working just fine albeit slow and outdated. I'd like to upgrade to a newer wifi Carplay unit, possibly an Alpine.

Here's the question: does the fact that I already have a working aftermarket head unit mean that swapping in the newer Alpine unit will require little to no brain damage as far as the quirkiness of the OEM Bose fiber optic system? Is there any easy way to quickly determine what solution the previous owner used to install the aftermarket unit?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2018, 03:35 PM
BallVice
Intermediate

@Hatzenbach -

I think I'm going to do the same unit in my Suburban - and it is what I probably should have done instead of the 4400 - it was overkill.

I am going to apologize - I was responding off of mobile - and it was a PITA to do - so am doing so from the computer now.

Tell me about your car - Mine was is an O6 C2S Navi and Bose (no steering wheel controls).

After this install - I thing I can assist - but do note - I didn't go any of the CanBus integration (I don't really think it was required.

As the original posted said - this was super easy to connect up. Crutchfield didn't offer a connector (STUPID Because you know they have them) so I clipped my wires - no big deal - I can always re-attach them if I NEVER WILL EVER sell the car (LOL).

I did the Seicane MOST adapter - 3 wires - SUPER easy to connect --- I bought a hand break bypass off of amazon - it's not working -
Amazon Amazon
- I think the car can sense the movement - and it stops the screen mirroring - it requires (so I hear) a "double ground pulse" to allow it to operate. Screen mirroring waze works great until I get over 20 MPH and then the unit alerts me that I need to stop to display anything off of the HDMI mirroring - NOT a big deal - Waze will be available in iOS 12.0 soon enough.

OTHER than the E-Brake bypass - the only things I needed to wire were:

1 - GROUND (black to THICK brown) - my PCM had 2 connectors - one with three wires (Red/Green (constant hot) Brown (ground) Yellow (who knows? - it wasn't swiched on - confirmed that)
I wired constant on to the Red/Green (more brown Green then red Green) - Black to Ground) and then the switched on I ran to my fuse box along with the Seicane ACC - Red wire)

2 - I ran the LF and RR to the Seicane box via the RCAs and I ran the Yellow Constant to the Red/Green and the black to Brown like the radio (added a fuse and quick disconnects)

3 - SirusXM (just in case - I added it) needed no power

4 - Antenna adapter -

For info - the second harness housed the CanBus (two woven wires) and A green (lights on connection) that I didn't bother to connect. I used nothing from this -

IF you use the METRA kit - I cannot say this enough - once it goes in - it probably isn't coming out - so keep that in mind ;-)

PM me if you need anything - I'll be glad to help!
Old 07-04-2018, 01:32 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

BallVice thanks for your help, do you think this is a better kit:
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-04-2018, 02:11 PM
BallVice
Intermediate

Default FItment

I like the traditional metal insert over the Metra - I just don’t know how the front fits the dash on that kit.

Quick Reply: Bose Head Unit Replacement in a 997S for under $150 and in 30 minutes or less....