Sponsored by:

Test Drove a Viper

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 07:56 PM
JO911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test Drove a Viper

Lately the simplicity and acceleration of American sports cars has seemed appealing so I went and test drove a 505 hp Gen 3 Viper coupe. They're close money to a nice 997.1 nowadays.*

Its presence is undeniable on the outside and its menace is palpable on the inside. It sounds like a WWII era bomber mixed with a junkyard dog mixed with a tractor. The pedals are so unbelievably close together that I found myself accidentally heel-toe downshifting. The exhaust is so loud and the engine so hesitant to rev that I kept accidentally short shifting around 2k (not that it cared). The cornering is undoubtedly amazing but I was so worried about a spin that I didn't find out. And parking it? Much easier to park a box truck.

The acceleration is incredible though, it hit me right in the chest.

If I had the world's safest racetrack in my backyard I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But any time I fantasized about driving it on mountain roads I pictured my corpse in a tree and the Viper smoldering deep in a valley below. Picture having a caged tiger in your garage that you're on friendly terms with. You admire it, you throw it raw meat to keep it happy and sometimes it rubs the fence like a friendly house cat. You get more and more confident with it and start to teach it tricks. You think you're pretty special to be handling a tiger so adeptly and it feels good. Then one day your neighbor starts to worry because your tv is on but there are several newspapers in the driveway...and all they find is a chewed up shoe.

I drove away in the car equivalent of a well-trained German Shepherd. But I won't rule out a C6 Z06, I found it much more approachable.

If you're looking for a really nice Viper PM me and I'll tell you what I know. I liked the dealer a lot.

*Keep in mind that this review is through the subjective lens of someone who is a bit risk averse and has pretty middling driving skills.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:42 PM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Let’s see a link to the ad, I’ve always been intrigued by viper coupes!
Old 09-22-2017, 09:09 PM
JO911
Rennlist Member

Here's the link: https://automotive-imports.com/vehic...JZ69Z86V100827

I have only good things to say about the dealership and am not affiliated.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:55 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

I enjoyed your mini review.

It made me giggle a bit because I have a Camaro SS that I threw a TVS1900 supercharger on and then pullied the heck out of it. It is completely worthless on the streets. It breaks the 315s loose when you stand on it cruising at 60mph. I always say when its in the garage at night it is thinking of new ways to kill me.

Mike
Old 09-22-2017, 11:42 PM
Greyghost230
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for a good chuckle JO911 and Mike.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:37 PM
JO911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
I enjoyed your mini review.

It made me giggle a bit because I have a Camaro SS that I threw a TVS1900 supercharger on and then pullied the heck out of it. It is completely worthless on the streets. It breaks the 315s loose when you stand on it cruising at 60mph. I always say when its in the garage at night it is thinking of new ways to kill me.

Mike
Sounds like a beast of a car! I'm always intrigued when I hear supercharger whine coming from a small block.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:56 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 990 Posts

I was in a speed shop a few years ago and saw this huge, monster, hulking, engine sitting on the floor. Wow was this thing big. I thought it came out of some Earth moving thing. Viper.... I thought not for me.... Sports cars should be small and light. I am going to get me a Lotus Elise one day.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-24-2017, 08:55 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

BUT if you're a great driver (I am not), it's one of the fastest cars EVER MADE with a time around the Ring at 7:01! Definitely the FASTEST per $ by a HUGE margin... faster cars are all into Millions of dollars!
Old 09-24-2017, 09:01 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
BUT if you're a great driver (I am not), it's one of the fastest cars around the Ring at 7:01! Definitely the FASTEST per $ by a HUGE margin... faster cars are all into Millions of dollars!
You know Alex, you are touching on a touchy subject..... what is it you or we want? This differs.....

We all want POWER!!!! But, fun to drive does not mean the fasted around the 'ring. Yes, fun is fast..... but I have no desire for 1000 HP Bughatti.... or this tank of a Viper.... I just don't think these cars would be fun even if I could afford it. My Boxster S was more fun than my 2009 C2S even though my C2S is "faster".

There is some psychological fun knowing the car you own won on Sunday, but .... I like real physical fun. I like looking at big silicone falsies under a sweater at the bar, but I would rather have natural ones at home regardless of size.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 09-24-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:15 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
You know Alex, you are touching on a touchy subject..... what is it you or we want? This differs.....

We all want POWER!!!! But, fun to drive does not mean the fasted around the 'ring. Yes, fun is fast..... but I have no desire for 1000 HP Bughatti.... or this tank of a Viper.... I just don't think these cars would be fun even if I could afford it. My Boxster S was more fun than my 2009 C2S even though my C2S is "faster".

There is some psychological fun knowing the car you own won on Sunday, but .... I like real physical fun. I like looking at big silicone falsies under a sweater at the bar, but I would rather have natural ones at home regardless of size.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Lol. Love the silicon analogies. I agree actually. The most fun car I’ve ever owned was a VW GTI Mk4 as I could push it to 11/10 on track or street without killing my self and Viper is the exact opposite.

However, one shouldn’t discount the performance of that car and its incredible value. The latest Gen actually is not only high horsepower, it’s also been fine tuned for great handling and track duties hence putting numbers down that cars 5 times the price cannot. So, while it’s not a car for me, I absolutely respect it and kudos to Dodge engineers and FIAT for producing such a monster. If I had a multi-car garage, I’d probably consider it as my 4th/5th car.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:22 PM
mark.jorgensen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-25-2017, 03:23 PM
mark.jorgensen
Intermediate

Just a little Viper love with a splash or 911R.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:39 PM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

I love Vipers - something about the raw power and the sound I guess, I am going to add one to the stable at some point.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:44 PM
mark.jorgensen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by surfinglbi23
I love Vipers - something about the raw power and the sound I guess, I am going to add one to the stable at some point.

We have been doing 9.0L stroker engines with heads and fixed cam that makes close to 800hp with 750ft/tq feels like an electric motor from 2000 till redline. Add that to 2000lbs. of down force and it is incredible.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:47 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,881 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
And THAT is why Mazda sells so many Miatas.

Quick Reply: Test Drove a Viper