Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 997 Turbo Manual transmission better than 996 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017 | 02:48 PM
997c2sla
Racer

I am confused.
Did they install the transmission from 997 turbo into your 996 turbo? yes or not?
Old 10-06-2017 | 02:49 PM
germanaudiotech
Advanced

Originally Posted by 997c2sla
I am confused.
Did they install the transmission from 997 turbo into your 996 turbo? yes or not?
Yes, they installed a 2010 Porsche Turbo (997) manual transmission into my 2004 Porsche Turbo.. Against my will
Old 10-06-2017 | 02:52 PM
997c2sla
Racer

Well that makes no sense to me.
If I do not agree with this, how can they install something against my will?

Hire a lawyer and go after them.
Old 10-06-2017 | 02:59 PM
germanaudiotech
Advanced

Originally Posted by 997c2sla
Well that makes no sense to me.
If I do not agree with this, how can they install something against my will?

Hire a lawyer and go after them.
State Farm is slimy and the agent Gregory Brown is a complete a$$hole. Yells at me, talks over me on the phone. Wont answer my calls. The BAR is claiming this is being handled illegally, these parts should have never been approved installed. A new 996 turbo transmission would have made the car a total loss.. and I believe they are doing their best to avoid paying out.

This all resulted from EF1 incompetently performing a clutch replacement. Pictures are below of the damage EF1 caused to this car
Attached Images     
Old 10-07-2017 | 10:09 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by germanaudiotech
State Farm is slimy and the agent Gregory Brown is a complete a$$hole. Yells at me, talks over me on the phone. Wont answer my calls. The BAR is claiming this is being handled illegally, these parts should have never been approved installed. A new 996 turbo transmission would have made the car a total loss.. and I believe they are doing their best to avoid paying out.

This all resulted from EF1 incompetently performing a clutch replacement. Pictures are below of the damage EF1 caused to this car
Well, a few comments that you will have to validate. First off, I don't believe that Porsche offered a manual transmission in 2010. That was the first year of the direct injected engine installed in the 991 cars. 997 turbos were produced in 2007 through 2009. The 997 engine is essentially identical to the 996 turbo. Both engines are the infamous Mezger design, with similar power and torque curves.

Second, assuming that the transmissions do match up, you should be able to drive at approximately the same speeds as with your 996 tranny. I believe that the 991 turbo had similar performance and power versus your 996. So, hearing that it "peaks out" (whatever that means) does not make sense. Instead, it appears that you have something going on electrically. The dealership should be able to sort that out.

If the dealership approved the switch in transmissions, they are warrantying that the swap will work. Otherwise, they are culpable. So, I think a long discussion with the service manager at the dealership is a good starting point.

If the dealer said the swap will work, then they should be able to explain the issues.

Lastly, the 997 tranny does have a viscous coupling since the 997 is an all-wheel drive design. Having said that, folks have been known to ditched use of the coupling when the front transfer case goes bad (replacement of the front transfer case is mega expensive). That done, the car becomes a rear wheel drive vehicle and should operate properly.

Bottom line is that it sounds as though there may be incompetence in more than one shop. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-07-2017 | 10:43 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

What a mess!! It sounds like you did accept the car in post #24 or did you just get an opportunity to drive it and then not accept it. I guess my point is - don't accept the car.
Old 10-07-2017 | 10:52 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by earossi
Well, a few comments that you will have to validate. First off, I don't believe that Porsche offered a manual transmission in 2010. That was the first year of the direct injected engine installed in the 991 cars. 997 turbos were produced in 2007 through 2009. The 997 engine is essentially identical to the 996 turbo. Both engines are the infamous Mezger design, with similar power and torque curves.
2007, 2008 and 2009 were 997.1 turbos with Mezger engine.
2010 was a 997.2 turbo with the DFI engine.
2011 was the first year of the 991 turbo.
Old 10-08-2017 | 12:45 AM
germanaudiotech
Advanced

Originally Posted by earossi

Second, assuming that the transmissions do match up, you should be able to drive at approximately the same speeds as with your 996 tranny. I believe that the 991 turbo had similar performance and power versus your 996. So, hearing that it "peaks out" (whatever that means) does not make sense. Instead, it appears that you have something going on electrically. The dealership should be able to sort that out.

If the dealership approved the switch in transmissions, they are warrantying that the swap will work. Otherwise, they are culpable. So, I think a long discussion with the service manager at the dealership is a good starting point.

If the dealer said the swap will work, then they should be able to explain the issues.

Lastly, the 997 tranny does have a viscous coupling since the 997 is an all-wheel drive design. Having said that, folks have been known to ditched use of the coupling when the front transfer case goes bad (replacement of the front transfer case is mega expensive). That done, the car becomes a rear wheel drive vehicle and should operate properly.

Bottom line is that it sounds as though there may be incompetence in more than one shop. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you very much for your comments! This makes a lot more sense now. Very helpful. Thanks
Old 10-08-2017 | 12:48 AM
germanaudiotech
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
What a mess!! It sounds like you did accept the car in post #24 or did you just get an opportunity to drive it and then not accept it. I guess my point is - don't accept the car.
The service manager said that the shop test drove the car and it was 'strong'. He handed me the keys and asked if he could drive in the car with me (passenger). I agreed, and we went for about 1-2 miles. The engine gets to about 4.500RPM and it begins to sputter like it's peaking/redlining. I didn't accept the car and left it at the dealership. Meanwhile, EF1 Motorsports signed the release documents and they are now out of the situation.. leaving this mess to be completed by Circle Porsche and Farmers Insurance...

Either it is the electronics limiting the engine, or the engine is also ****ed. Who knows.. I am waiting to hear what they discover by Monday. If the engine is bad, there is no way Farmers is going to want to put another $25,000+ into this car. They need to just total the damn thing
Old 10-08-2017 | 01:31 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by germanaudiotech
The service manager said that the shop test drove the car and it was 'strong'. He handed me the keys and asked if he could drive in the car with me (passenger). I agreed, and we went for about 1-2 miles. The engine gets to about 4.500RPM and it begins to sputter like it's peaking/redlining. I didn't accept the car and left it at the dealership. Meanwhile, EF1 Motorsports signed the release documents and they are now out of the situation.. leaving this mess to be completed by Circle Porsche and Farmers Insurance...

Either it is the electronics limiting the engine, or the engine is also ****ed. Who knows.. I am waiting to hear what they discover by Monday. If the engine is bad, there is no way Farmers is going to want to put another $25,000+ into this car. They need to just total the damn thing
Something's missing here. EF1 did the work. They've driven the car with you and without you and are aware that the engine peaks at around 4,500 rpm. Yet they say the car runs strong, hands you the keys and pretends all is well and they're done with you. The only argument I can think of coming from their end is that your engine peaked at 4,500rpm when you dropped it off and that it has nothing to do with the work they did.
Old 10-08-2017 | 01:39 AM
germanaudiotech
Advanced

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Something's missing here. EF1 did the work. They've driven the car with you and without you and are aware that the engine peaks at around 4,500 rpm. Yet they say the car runs strong, hands you the keys and pretends all is well and they're done with you. The only argument I can think of coming from their end is that your engine peaked at 4,500rpm when you dropped it off and that it has nothing to do with the work they did.
To be clear;

The car was in 100% condition when dropped off with EF1.
EF1 performed faulty work, and completely screwed the car to the point where it no longer turned on and the transmission was destroyed.
EF1 used their shop-owner's insurance to cover the damages they caused exceeding $25,000+
The car was repaired at Circle Porsche
EF1 showed up to sign insurance documents and transfer the vehicle to me
Once EF1 representative was gone, Circle Porsche service advisor went for a drive with me. Circle Porsche did the work on the car.
The car, after repairs were complete will now not exceed 4,500RPM
Old 10-08-2017 | 09:04 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

EF1 signed the release documents or you signed the release documents . . . This sounds like a clusterfijck and more of a mess than I can stomach to read. What the heck is EF1 releasing?

Did you consult a lawyer? If not, why? As is everything in life, you get what you pay for. You try to save a few $$$s or do crap yourself, you may be prone to getting ****ty results.

I also don't understand how or why you are being serviced by a Porsche dealership and having to ask a forum about transmission fitment or whether it is a conforming acceptable replacement part. Straight up ask the Porsche dealership doing the installation if they would put a 997 transmission into a 996 and even call PCNA and ask the same question BEFORE they do any work. If they say no, don't do it not matter what State Farm says. If they say yes, then they are certifying their work and repair as appropriate. . . . Again, they key was BEFORE any work is done or anything is signed or agreed to . . .

You may be screwed now if you released State Farm and EF1 as the dealership will likely take the position that they did what they were paid and instructed to do and any residual issues are related to damage by EF1 and decisions you and State Farm made. As a lawyer that knows what the heck I am doing, that is the position I would take if I represented the dealership.

This was a such a super easy problem to resolve if handled correctly from the front end. A good lawyer would have gotten you a new replacement car of like kind and condition or money for actual replacement costs . . . Sounds like you got yourself a mess with no replacement value.

Last edited by Doug H; 10-08-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-08-2017 | 07:16 PM
DC911S
Drifting

So much for those State Farm Insurance commercials where they brag about the odd things they see and cover the costs.
Old 10-08-2017 | 11:02 PM
Feld
Racer

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
2007, 2008 and 2009 were 997.1 turbos with Mezger engine.
2010 was a 997.2 turbo with the DFI engine.
2011 was the first year of the 991 turbo.
Then how is it I have a 2012 997.2 Turbo?
Old 10-08-2017 | 11:38 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

2011 was 997.2 only, all models.

2012 was 997.2 and 991.1.

2009 was the only year for the 997.2 TT with Mezger motor. That transmission could, most likely, bolt into any other Mezger TT block.

2010 was the entry of the 9A1 for the TT. The interface was different to allow the PDK transmission.

I have no idea how a 2010 9A1 motor transmission can bolt on to a Mezger motor.

Something is missing in all of this.

Quick Reply: Is the 997 Turbo Manual transmission better than 996 Turbo?