Sponsored by:

Yet Another Review of a Porsche 991.2 C2S by a Porsche 997.2 C4S Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 01:03 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Yet Another Review of a Porsche 991.2 C2S by a Porsche 997.2 C4S Owner

I did a write up for my friends on Facebook after driving a 991.2 C2S and they seemed to like it... so I decided to share it with you all. Just to give you another person's view on the 991.2 as an owner of a 997.2.

Originally Posted by Crester

I got a chance to test drive the new Porsche 911 Carrera S… surprisingly they just gave me the keys and said I could take it out… only caution… “Don’t go too fast or you might get a ticket…” lol So how does the new 991.2 Porsche 911 compare to my older 997.2 Porsche 911? Well long story short… the car has been taken in a more luxurious direction while the previous 911’s feel more raw and sporty by comparison.

The new Porsche 911 feels much more refined… I can’t pinpoint what exactly made the difference… but when you are sitting inside things feel more luxurious and polished. It is a bit bigger and more comfortable… things feel more padded and insulated in the interior. The suspension is also softer… it doesn’t mean the car rolls around… it doesn’t… but you don’t feel the bumps in the road as much. You feel less of the road’s surface in SPORTS mode in the new 911 than you do in my car in normal mode.

Measurable performance is up as well… the new car is obviously faster than my car… although it doesn’t feel as much faster from the driver’s seat as test numbers suggest. Then there’s the sound… or lack of it. What reviewers say is true… the sound is definitely lacking. I revved up the engine a number of times… and while it does make “sounds”… it’s not as enjoyable as the previous models. It’s just a low pitched sound somewhere behind you… behind a layer of sound insulation. There’s none of the screaming wail of the older engines that changes in tone as it climbs thru the rev range as if it was a musical instrument. To try and add some “excitement” Porsche added some crackle sounds to the exhaust as you let off the gas pedal… but it feels really artificially added. You can hear the sounds in the videos in the album… and to be honest the engine sounds better in the video in comparison to from the driver’s seat… the crackles sound better in real life in comparison to the video. You don’t hear a lot of exhaust sounds from inside the car… but somebody in a Subaru STi driving near me was enjoying it and said it sounded great from the outside. The steering was accurate… but it didn’t have the same heavy and connected feeling of the hydraulic steering in the older 911… but that’s something that happened to most cars on the market these days.

Technology is now up to date with the new Porsche 911 having most modern electronics including an infotainment screen which operates like an iPad with high resolution graphics… and you can even use stuff like Google Maps on there.

Long story short… the Porsche 911 has taken yet another step in the direction of becoming a luxury coupe… and a step away from being a purebred sports car. This is unfortunate… but understandable… because this is what the majority of people who buy them new want. The new Porsche 911 is better in every measurable way… but the older 997.2 is a more enjoyable and rewarding car to drive.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:52 PM
96Tiger
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the review. Every now and then I start thinking about 991.1s or .2s but I don't think I'm ready for a more refined or luxurious 911 yet, I'm still enamored with my 997S. One thing you didn't really touch on is the torque. How does the torque of the turbo engine compare to that of the 997?
Old 09-22-2017, 02:43 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Tiger
Thanks for the review. Every now and then I start thinking about 991.1s or .2s but I don't think I'm ready for a more refined or luxurious 911 yet, I'm still enamored with my 997S. One thing you didn't really touch on is the torque. How does the torque of the turbo engine compare to that of the 997?
Lol. There is no comparison.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:49 PM
HKG997
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
I did a write up for my friends on Facebook after driving a 991.2 C2S and they seemed to like it... so I decided to share it with you all. Just to give you another person's view on the 991.2 as an owner of a 997.2.
This summarize why I picked my '12 997.2 C4S over a '12 991.1 Carrera S with factory aerokit.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:18 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want something reminiscent of the older 911s, get a Cayman 981. I say that because I just bought one and I had my 997 and 981 side by side and they are about the same size. However when you compare the Cayman with the 997, the Cayman handles way better and with the upgraded interior, you get the best of both worlds. The roughness and drama of the 997 is a bit over rated especially when it feels like you're about to the damage the frame going over potholes.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:14 AM
Crester
Pro

Originally Posted by 96Tiger
There is more pull in the turbo engine in comparison to the NA engine. But from the drivers seat it didn't FEEL like a crazy amount more. What did feel different was the delivery of the power. With the 997.2 engine power built up as the revs climbed while in the 991.2 you could feel all the pull of the engine come on low in the rev range and then you'd feel that constant level off pull throughout the rest of the rev range.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:52 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

Camisa did an interesting review of the base 997.2 Carrera

At the 6m35s mark, he shows the results of a throttle response test.

Karl.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:37 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I test drove a 2012 C2S PDK 991.1 a week ago with a view to trade my 997.2 cab PDK. You echo my sentiments faithfully...
I was a bit dismayed by the new direction given the 911. In my case, I feel there is something such as "too much luxury" that detracts from the car's character. I understand that the new buyers MUST have the latest electronic gadgets and infotainment bits as well as have the car do their thinking and save them at the same time... More's the pity though!

Oh yeah, I kept my 997.2.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:19 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

I drove a 991.1 CS when they first came out, somewhat nervous....what if I liked the car more than my 997.2 C4S? In short, I didn't. Thankfully. I loved how the engine came on song above 6k, but didn't like the steering as much, and the car felt too 'luxurious'.

A few months back I got to drive a 991.2 and 991.1 back to back, both PDK. The steering is better on the 991.2's for sure, but I preferred the motor in the 991.1. So I guess for me, the old dog 997.2 is still my pick
Old 09-24-2017, 01:17 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Cheers to the 991 and those who love them, there's plenty of room in the enthusiasts tent. Yet . . . I can't remember exactly when, maybe 2010 or 2011, Excellence interviewed one of the grand Poo-bahs at Porsche. He stated that it was the company's objective to dramatically increase sales of the 911. How do you suppose they could do that? By manufacturing a car that was amenable to the sensibilities of more people - yet still offer a performance oriented ability. Mission accomplished, I guess. Sales are up, the performance is there, and yet I can't see myself parting with my slower, less comfortable 997 (granted it is a 997 manual GTS that is PTS) It's funny that, although there are more of us 997 owners, we seem to be becoming like the 993 crowd - smug in the understanding that we have a less powerful, less refined, perhaps even antiquated car in some/many ways; yet somehow either because of or in spite of such comparative shortomings, it is turning into a fun, desireable, and sought after car.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:14 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

They seem like really great cars that seem to do about everything better. When I was shopping for my current 997.2s with PDK it was because the 9A1 engine and fascinated by the PDK. That said, I'm old school. The perfect sports car Porsche was in the 80's. I still lust for a guards red 3.2 Carrera. Stock 16" Fuchs wheels but with a just a few mods. As much as I enjoy my 997.2 it's well down the road to more of a GT car.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:18 PM
Crester
Pro

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Camisa did an interesting review of the base 997.2 Carrera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISIUGwt_t6w

At the 6m35s mark, he shows the results of a throttle response test.

Karl.
I agree with what was said in that video about throttle response. At medium to high revs the engine responded very well and I could have very well believed it was a naturally aspirated engine.

But there was a time when I accidentally started accelerating from lower revs (below 3,000rpm)... and I could really feel the lag as the engine tried to build up boost to get going. Then again if you are driving hard you are probably going to be high in the rev range anyways... so this may not actually be that big of a deal.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Review of a Porsche 991.2 C2S by a Porsche 997.2 C4S Owner