Sponsored by:

Shopping for 997 and found this

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017 | 04:10 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Shopping for 997 and found this

I've been shopping for a 997 (C2 or C2S in manual) and ran across a possible one, but when looking at the photos closely I spotted this:

Picture is attached.
Anyone know what's up with the climate controls?
Or is the picture playing tricks with me?
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2017 | 04:26 PM
Benihana242
Instructor

That's a very common issue on the climate control switches. It's annoying - but at least can be replaced (or refinished) if you're a bit handy.

It's a combination of dirty/oily/greasy hands - and also Porsche using kind of a lame plastic/rubber coating. The window switches are also a problem area.
Old 09-13-2017 | 04:31 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Benihana242
That's a very common issue on the climate control switches. It's annoying - but at least can be replaced (or refinished) if you're a bit handy.

It's a combination of dirty/oily/greasy hands - and also Porsche using kind of a lame plastic/rubber coating. The window switches are also a problem area.
Ah, thanks.
I started looking at the 996 and expected something like that...kind of.
But recently decided I'd rather have a 997 and this was the first time I'd seen it.
If it is easy to fix,then I won't worry about it.
Old 09-13-2017 | 05:34 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I've seen that quite a bit, although I've never understood it. The controls on my 2008 turbo looked pristine when I sold it. The car in the original post looks like it was owned by The Wolverine.
Old 09-13-2017 | 05:49 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

The "soft touch" stuff is unfortunate. VW and Audi also used this on the interior of its cars of the same vintage +/-. It wasn't cool on a $20K Jetta but even a bigger bummer on a car 4-5X the price. I'll eventually do mine, although they're not too bad right now, and a small thing in the grand scheme of an otherwise wonderful car. Enjoy the hunt and catch!
Old 09-13-2017 | 05:52 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Note that you can touch these up yourself, send them off to be re-finished, or install aftermarket 3D printed versions. But if you want to replace them with OE switches, you will need a new CC unit or need to scavenge them from a used unit. You can't buy them separately.
Old 09-13-2017 | 06:36 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Porsche fixed this in 2008 onward.

Costs $150 to be fixed by Sitckeynomore.com

https://stickynomore.com/pricing/porsche
Old 09-14-2017 | 01:05 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Yea most cars of that vintage have that. Mine did. You will have similar issues on the center console and usually the ash tray will bubble. My hypothesis is its a reaction to moisturizers and sun screen, which is why not all cars have it.

Talk to the used car manager at your local Porsche or BMW dealer to ask who their interior guy is they use for the cpo cars. These guys are independent contractors and for a couple hundred bucks can make your interior look like new.

I had had mine done on the buttons, console, steering wheel trim and a few other spots. Came out great so don't sweat little stuff like that. Its easiesly fixable. Focus on the major stuff in the ppi and getting them to inspect the oil filter.

Good luck. You won't regret it.
Old 09-14-2017 | 01:10 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Looks like Climarepair's V1 switches.
Old 09-14-2017 | 08:15 AM
Britzky9
Racer

Anyone try these guys yet?

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/..._Repair__.html

A local dealer turned me on to the site. Said he does a good job and turn around is very fast.

Been on the hunt for a 997.1 cab, and have found that about 8 out 10 cars have this issue...and would assume the other 2 have had their buttons fixed.
Old 09-14-2017 | 11:29 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Yea most cars of that vintage have that. Mine did. You will have similar issues on the center console and usually the ash tray will bubble. My hypothesis is its a reaction to moisturizers and sun screen, which is why not all cars have it.
Originally Posted by Britzky9
Been on the hunt for a 997.1 cab, and have found that about 8 out 10 cars have this issue...and would assume the other 2 have had their buttons fixed.
I have no doubt that some chemicals exacerbate this problem, like the moisturizers Bruce mentioned, and probably some interior cleaning products. But as Britzky mentioned, lots of cabrios have this problem, so it's clear to me that simple exposure to the sun causes this, too. I don't use any lotions or chemicals on my skin, but the ash tray door on my '09 cabriolet has bubbled and peeled.

When the top is down on a summer day, the coating on some of these parts just turns to sticky goo--almost like wet or uncured paint.

When my car sits in the sun, I can just touch my ash tray door and the coating will stick to my finger and peel up. It's a substandard coating, and several parts around the interior have it.
Old 09-14-2017 | 11:30 AM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

A local dealer turned me on to the site. Said he does a good job and turn around is very fast.

I've never seen these guys. Looks like the paint refinish work itself in matte is pretty darn nice, at least in the photos. The stickers look really lame, though, ruining the look for me. I'd nix the stickers personally. $99 to include shipping both ways sounds competitive. I may just take a run at it myself, as others here have done successfully, when the time comes...
Old 09-14-2017 | 07:20 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

This is just another example of Porsche leaving their consumer hanging and not stepping up to the plate to correct a manufacturing defect. Anyone who has this problem and cares to correct it should be able to take it to Porsche and they ought to replace the soft-touch parts for free. Shame on Porsche.
Old 09-14-2017 | 08:17 PM
Greyghost230
Instructor

Looks like a pretty poor option IMHO
The stickers won't last a season. The color is peeling in the display photos already!
Old 09-15-2017 | 11:28 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have a couple sets of the replacement switches for the HVAC if you end up buying that car and want to replace them, just let me know and we'll work out a fair price.

Quick Reply: Shopping for 997 and found this