Oil splatter out the exhaust on startup

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 08:15 PM
RowdyD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil splatter out the exhaust on startup

Hi everyone,

I'm a relatively new 997 series 2 owner - 2011 model. The car seems to spit oil on start up and I have oil splatter on the garage floor and up the wall behind the car (I reverse into the garage). Its particularly out the left hand side exhaust.

Is this a normal 997 thing or is there something seriously wrong here?

Regards
Old 09-10-2017, 08:18 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

How much oil does it burn? I'm hoping it's just the AOS
Old 09-10-2017, 09:12 PM
RowdyD
Intermediate

I've just by chance bumped into a Porsche mechanic, he tells me that it's just carbon and water condensation cause when the cat is being warmed up on start up. Nothing to worry about it seems
Old 09-10-2017, 10:30 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you get heavier carbon buildup in your left exhaust tip vs the right? I do, but so far I seem to be the only one :/. Trying to pinpoint the reason for this- considering a bore scope...
Old 09-10-2017, 10:52 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 142 Posts

That's not normal to puke out oil on startups through the exhaust pipes. My 2009 C4S back end is close to a white concrete wall, and I never see that. Sounds like the AOS is bad.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:27 PM
RowdyD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mreloc
Do you get heavier carbon buildup in your left exhaust tip vs the right? I do, but so far I seem to be the only one :/. Trying to pinpoint the reason for this- considering a bore scope...
Yes I think there's more on the left side than right which aligns I guess with the marks on the wall
Old 09-10-2017, 11:39 PM
RowdyD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DC911S
That's not normal to puke out oil on startups through the exhaust pipes. My 2009 C4S back end is close to a white concrete wall, and I never see that. Sounds like the AOS is bad.
My dealer only checked out the AOS a week ago when I complained about the amount of smoke the car blew at the time and it passed with a clean bill of health and everyone tells me that I'll always get some smoke on startup if I've parked on a slope (which I had)
Old 09-11-2017, 07:58 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

that was mine on start up. cyl 4 & 6 were scored to he'll. Towards the end you can see it coming out the tailpipe.

a little bit of WATER/condensation is normal but not oil like my video shows.

Last edited by AWDGuy; 09-11-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RowdyD
My dealer only checked out the AOS a week ago when I complained about the amount of smoke the car blew at the time and it passed with a clean bill of health and everyone tells me that I'll always get some smoke on startup if I've parked on a slope (which I had)
This has been talked about before but I can't exactly recall the details. Actually, I sort of can but I don't want to risk "mis-remembering" and write something patently wrong. A user who goes by "Macster" typically provides good technical info. If you search on him and a few key words you might find some pertinent info. I do know he chimed in about oil smoke on start up (which my car does every so often) possibly not being a signal of a critical problem. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:37 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RowdyD
I've just by chance bumped into a Porsche mechanic, he tells me that it's just carbon and water condensation cause when the cat is being warmed up on start up. Nothing to worry about it seems
most likely this ^^^^. DO NOT TAKE YOUR ENGINE APART
Old 09-11-2017, 02:46 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mreloc
that was a main symptom of mine also. Blacked out drivers side tailpipe. I'd get it scoped for sure
Old 09-11-2017, 03:02 PM
mreloc
Pro

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
that was a main symptom of mine also. Blacked out drivers side tailpipe. I'd get it scoped for sure
Yours is a 997.1 where that totally adds up. Mine and the OP's are 997.2s. The cylinder banks/exhaust cross over to the other side in 997.1, where in 997.2 they do not cross sides- so the left cylinder bank feeds the left exhaust.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:12 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

It's a 996 actually.

IF you have one darker than the other and you have OIL coming out like I did where its using your wall as an art canvas then I'd get it scoped regardless how the piping is routed.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:08 PM
RowdyD
Intermediate

Guy's here's some photo's of behind the car in the garage.

I'm told this is just carbon being blown out of the exhaust on cold start-up.

Whilst it looks oily it doesn't feel that greasy actually. I was advised that this is condensation that occurs when the car starts up and is warming up the catalytic converter. Its then combining with the carbon to give a black looking spot. I'll get around to trying to clean it up this weekend. If it really is oil then it won't be coming out of the timber deck.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:01 PM
mreloc
Pro

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
It's a 996 actually.

IF you have one darker than the other and you have OIL coming out like I did where its using your wall as an art canvas then I'd get it scoped regardless how the piping is routed.

ah- I could only see the taillights and presumed incorrectly :/

Anyway, like the original poster, mine is not oil. It's only carbon but builds up on the left tailpipe at 2x the rate of the right tailpipe. What can I say, I like symmetry

Quick Reply: Oil splatter out the exhaust on startup