Sponsored by:

Purchasing pre modified car

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:03 AM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing pre modified car

I'm starting my hunt for a 997.2, and there are certain changing I will want to make. Nothing crazy, mostly wheels, stereo, maybe decent shocks....

Having been down the road of modifying many cars, and building a full out race car, I know you're basically throwing out money, and want to find a car that's already received some tasteful modifications.

In looking for a 997.2 6spd rwd, it's been very hard to find any that have already been modified. Yet there seems to be a ton of modified turbos out there.

Have I just not looked long and hard enough? It's very frustrating as I'm very much against AWD cars, and don't want to throw out money modifying a car.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:44 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Thats funny because I tend to return my cars to stock when I sell them specifically because I have a much harder time selling modded cars and usually take a hit on it taking less in than if the car was stock.

Have you thought about just buying the parts you want to add to the car used? Thats similar to buying a used car that is already modded only at least you are the one who gets to put the parts on.

Mike
Old 09-07-2017, 10:49 AM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

It is all depends on your application. Since you mentioned stereo and "decent shock", I only assume this is not for track. For street, guys are mostly invest in proper maintenance. Popular upgrades would be Numeric shifter and cable, personally liked wheels, lower springs. Not much.
997.2s are hot today based on fear over overblown IS bearing in 997.1s.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:57 AM
rwdds
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

I did exactly what you are asking about. I opted for a stock 997.1 C2S to save a little initially, but then threw in about 10K in audio upgrades and performance mods TO MAKE IT MINE.

Yes, the money that goes to mods will never come back as an investment, but the joy of researching, installing and finally enjoying every moment of driving YOUR P is priceless.

I don't regret for a second, the money I have dumped into my S.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:57 AM
josserman
Instructor

Yes, the price drop on a modified car is why I want to find one that's already modified. I guess I could start looking for parts. Funny, I'll be selling my M3, and also plan to return it back to stock (not much done though). Had an Alcon F/R BBK for it and Ohlins that I ended up selling for slicks for my honda...lol VERY GLAD i never installed those!

I won't be using this for any track time unless a very rare instructing. I'm very much against using cars without full safety on the track, I find it too difficult to not drive 10/10th or even 8/10ths once I get out there.

I've actually found some 997.1's modified, even an '05 with upgraded IMS (which if I was going with a.1 I think 05 would be the route since those are actually upgradable). That said I really think my safe bet is a .2 with a 3.6.

I'll keep the hunt out, and also add looking for used parts to my search. Maybe I can find what I want and do the installs myself as you suggested.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:59 AM
josserman
Instructor

Originally Posted by rwdds
I did exactly what you are asking about. I opted for a stock 997.1 C2S to save a little initially, but then threw in about 10K in audio upgrades and performance mods TO MAKE IT MINE.

Yes, the money that goes to mods will never come back as an investment, but the joy of researching, installing and finally enjoying every moment of driving YOUR P is priceless.

I don't regret for a second, the money I have dumped into my S.
After pouring an ungodly amount of money into my s2000 and then ripping out 1/2 the things, I'll never do it again. Nor will I ever build a race car again. So much cheaper to buy a pre-built race car, kinda makes me want to cry when I think I could have easily bought a WC or IMSA e46 or even cup car for what I've put into this damn honda
Old 09-07-2017, 05:49 PM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Thats funny because I tend to return my cars to stock when I sell them specifically because I have a much harder time selling modded cars and usually take a hit on it taking less in than if the car was stock.

Have you thought about just buying the parts you want to add to the car used? Thats similar to buying a used car that is already modded only at least you are the one who gets to put the parts on.

Mike
Totally agree on this. Sell the car stock for what its worth and sell the parts on the forum to guys who want them. Easy way to recoup some cash!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:09 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Odd because you hardly see any mods on these C2, C2S cars. Just buy a car from a dealer with cpo and you wont get any mods. But if you find a car with ecu program, worth $1500 + and some exhaust mod worth $2000 + , would it be better to pay for it yourself or have it given to you?
Old 09-07-2017, 11:53 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
I'm starting my hunt for a 997.2, and there are certain changing I will want to make. Nothing crazy, mostly wheels, stereo, maybe decent shocks....

Having been down the road of modifying many cars, and building a full out race car, I know you're basically throwing out money, and want to find a car that's already received some tasteful modifications.

In looking for a 997.2 6spd rwd, it's been very hard to find any that have already been modified. Yet there seems to be a ton of modified turbos out there.

Have I just not looked long and hard enough? It's very frustrating as I'm very much against AWD cars, and don't want to throw out money modifying a car.
Where are you looking? You're more likely to find a modded car for sale on one of these forums than from a dealer. Don't just check the classifieds. Read the threads. It's not uncommon for members here to talk casually about selling their cars without actually advertising them. That's how I bought my current GTS.

The previous owner mentioned in passing that he was looking at the possibility of getting a 991GT3. His GTS had just about everything I wanted so I kept bugging him until he got tired of me and sold me the car. I paid what I think was close to retail for a bone stock car but got:

1. GT2 bucket seats
2. Forgeline wheels.
3. Red face gauges.
4. Eibach springs.
5. SW bypass pipes.
6. Various suspension upgrades.

That's probably close to $20K in mods that I really wanted at no cost to me.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:16 PM
Excusem3
Instructor

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Where are you looking? You're more likely to find a modded car for sale on one of these forums than from a dealer. Don't just check the classifieds. Read the threads. It's not uncommon for members here to talk casually about selling their cars without actually advertising them. That's how I bought my current GTS.

The previous owner mentioned in passing that he was looking at the possibility of getting a 991GT3. His GTS had just about everything I wanted so I kept bugging him until he got tired of me and sold me the car. I paid what I think was close to retail for a bone stock car but got:

1. GT2 bucket seats
2. Forgeline wheels.
3. Red face gauges.
4. Eibach springs.
5. SW bypass pipes.
6. Various suspension upgrades.

That's probably close to $20K in mods that I really wanted at no cost to me.
the GT2 bucket seats themselves are 20K. You got a good deal for all those extras.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:28 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am like you. I like buying only modded cars so that I don't spend alot of money on modding but I don't buy cars with modded engine. I have been in the market for long time and anyone saying that modded cars are sold less than stock is WRONG infact modded cars are sold little higher than stock ones
Old 09-08-2017, 04:37 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I think it depends a lot on the specific modifications we're talking about and I am curious to know what mods the OP wants/doesn't want and is seeing out in the market.

I wouldn't worry one bit about buying a car that had the Gundo, center muffler delete, wheel spacers, lowering springs, etc. BUT, if the owner had re-done the suspension, re-tuned the engine, done major body mods...then I'd start to worry.

Even with reputable parts, a buyer never really knows if the installer or tuner knew what he was doing. And then you have to wonder why some of those items were replaced--was it because the PO tracked the car hard or was some kind of street outlaw?

That line between acceptable and not acceptable varies for each buyer. My threshold is very low. I tend to stick with stock cars and do the few mods that I want.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:18 PM
zaccers
AutoX

I bought someone else's build and couldn't be happier. There are so many parts on the car that are great, but not something I would have ever spent my own $$s on due to the high cost. The joy is in changing the car slightly to still make it your own, but I get where you're coming from in searching for a modded car in the first place.

I have to agree with @onsickm above as a *properly* modified car should NOT sell for less than a stock one. Not a ton more, but definitely there is value in high-quality aftermarket parts. It just takes the right buyer to appreciate the extra love the car has received.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:56 AM
josserman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Iceter
I think it depends a lot on the specific modifications we're talking about and I am curious to know what mods the OP wants/doesn't want and is seeing out in the market.

I wouldn't worry one bit about buying a car that had the Gundo, center muffler delete, wheel spacers, lowering springs, etc. BUT, if the owner had re-done the suspension, re-tuned the engine, done major body mods...then I'd start to worry.

Even with reputable parts, a buyer never really knows if the installer or tuner knew what he was doing. And then you have to wonder why some of those items were replaced--was it because the PO tracked the car hard or was some kind of street outlaw?

That line between acceptable and not acceptable varies for each buyer. My threshold is very low. I tend to stick with stock cars and do the few mods that I want.
Ideally wheels, headunit or other stereo work, shocks (bilstiens, ohlins dev or KW not looking for Penske/moton/jrz) maybe intake or exhaust. Would not buy a car with springs at all, very against changing springs from the factory.

Found this, it's basically perfect, except I really don't want 997.1 unless an 05 due to IMS, but I know risks are very low so maybe I'll roll the dice.

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1B382D94

May sound strange, but I'd love a car with dings, scratches.... as I'll put those in anyhow, so why not save the $$$ upfront. This will be a DD driven yr round in snow/salt, rain....
Old 09-09-2017, 02:23 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Ideally wheels, headunit or other stereo work, shocks (bilstiens, ohlins dev or KW not looking for Penske/moton/jrz) maybe intake or exhaust. Would not buy a car with springs at all, very against changing springs from the factory.

Found this, it's basically perfect, except I really don't want 997.1 unless an 05 due to IMS, but I know risks are very low so maybe I'll roll the dice.

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1B382D94

May sound strange, but I'd love a car with dings, scratches.... as I'll put those in anyhow, so why not save the $$$ upfront. This will be a DD driven yr round in snow/salt, rain....
I have seen that car personally in Bellevue. Simply amazing build and exceptionally clean car

Quick Reply: Purchasing pre modified car