Sponsored by:

Thump from 2nd to 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 05:32 PM
Instarand
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thump from 2nd to 3rd

i have a 997.2 C2S MT and I can't help but notice a mechanical thump like noise when shifting out of 2nd and into 3rd, most noticeably at slower driving speeds. If I consciously press the clutch in super fast I can often shift without the noise. Does anybody else hear this noise? if you've ever shifted too quickly before enough clutch was given...and you hear the transmission sort of forecefully disengaging, it's a similar noise that I'm experiencing. But it happens almost every time at slower speeds from 2nd to 3rd.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:04 AM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check motor mounts
Old 09-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,722 Likes on 4,275 Posts

Probably the sound of the springs on the pressure plate as the friction disc is mating to the flywheel. If you have semi-solid motor mounts, this will be more pronounced than with stock ones. Try it letting the clutch out slowly and see it it makes the same sound. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:35 PM
Instarand
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Petza914
Probably the sound of the springs on the pressure plate as the friction disc is mating to the flywheel. If you have semi-solid motor mounts, this will be more pronounced than with stock ones. Try it letting the clutch out slowly and see it it makes the same sound. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
What do you mean by "semi-solid" motor mounts? Also, I hear the clunk/thump noise on the early side of the shift out of second. By the time the gear shifter is in third and I'm re-engaging the clutch it already happened.

So the noise happens when I'm depressing the clutch in 2nd and beginning the upshift into 3rd. Strange why this doesn't happen in any other gear, or if the shift from second to third is done while drivin slightly more aggressively.

Thanks for the reply BTW!
Old 09-03-2017, 03:54 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,722 Likes on 4,275 Posts

Originally Posted by Instarand
What do you mean by "semi-solid" motor mounts? Also, I hear the clunk/thump noise on the early side of the shift out of second. By the time the gear shifter is in third and I'm re-engaging the clutch it already happened.

So the noise happens when I'm depressing the clutch in 2nd and beginning the upshift into 3rd. Strange why this doesn't happen in any other gear, or if the shift from second to third is done while drivin slightly more aggressively.

Thanks for the reply BTW!
High performance motor mounts like those from RSS, We've, Rennline, etc. They are firmer and less isolating from engine vibration. They hold the motor more securely for better and more predictable handling.

if your noise is before the clutch reengagement then it's something else.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:06 PM
Instarand
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Petza914
High performance motor mounts like those from RSS, We've, Rennline, etc. They are firmer and less isolating from engine vibration. They hold the motor more securely for better and more predictable handling.

if your noise is before the clutch reengagement then it's something else.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. Yeah the sound is totally while the clutch is disengaging. It almost sounds like it's struggling slightly to let go of the gear. I'll have Porsche look at it during my next service. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Thump from 2nd to 3rd