Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help from my future 997 brethren!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:44 AM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Help from my future 997 brethren!

Hey all!

I'm new to the community for the most part and thinking I might be pulling the trigger on a 997.2 C2S w/ sport chrono plus. It's got 40ish K miles, and not CPO'd. Coming in at $51k, which seems pretty competitive. Lmk otherwise guys

Here's what I'm doing to check it out, but would like to get all your opinions on what else I should be looking at before I sign:

-Will be PPI'ed it at a Porsche dealership
-CarFax is clean 1 owner car essentially
-Options out at over $105k, so asking seems in range for market and options

From my research, 997.2 apparently don't have the IMS / RMS issue at all, so it's solid in that respect. However, are there other things I should be asking during the PPI specifically to catch hidden issues?

Thanks everybody in advance for your opinions and guidance to a noob P-car guy!
Old 08-30-2017, 11:53 AM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Check everything. PPI should tell most things but this is a 6+ year old car with 40k miles.Who knows what the last owners did?
In general these are great cars and welcome to the club.
I knew less than you do when I bought mine 2 years ago.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:21 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

Costly potential wear items are brakes (rotors and pads), tires, 40K service (belt, spark plugs, air filters, oil and filter, brake system flush) possibly water pump and coolant reservoir. PPI should look at that and more, does the AC blow cold? PDK serviced? How is the clutch? The 40K service at a dealer is 1500 or so, Indy is less, or you can do yourself with tools and bloody fingers.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

DC911S is spot on. The biggest issue you may face is deferred maintenance and the cost of having these services done if you don't know how to do them yourself.

So far, there are relatively few problem areas with the .2s. If you're going to the expense of a PPI, you could go hog wild and get the cylinders scoped to make sure there is no bore scoring, but even that seems to be a very rare occurrence.

Going on memory, the problem areas with the .2s seem to be (in rough order of importance and cost):
Bore scoring (very rare)
Water pump failure
Air Oil Separator failure
High pressure fuel pump failure (usually occurs with the first owner and was fixed under warranty)
Unexplainable electrical gremlins (more often than not can be fixed by replacing the battery)

Did I miss any, guys?
Old 08-30-2017, 03:00 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Note that PDK service is due at 60k miles, so, not due on this car.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:59 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Going on memory, the problem areas with the .2s seem to be (in rough order of importance and cost):
Bore scoring (very rare)
Water pump failure
High pressure fuel pump failure (usually occurs with the first owner and was fixed under warranty)
Unexplainable electrical gremlins (more often than not can be fixed by replacing the battery)

Did I miss any, guys?
Not necessarily a problem area but the PDK can be a replacement-only item at high cost so making sure there are no issues with it is very important.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:25 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

you need to be more specific , theres alot of value difference in 09 and 12
Old 08-31-2017, 12:51 AM
4PTZERO
Racer

Originally Posted by Jaskfri
Check everything. PPI should tell most things but this is a 6+ year old car with 40k miles.Who knows what the last owners did?
In general these are great cars and welcome to the club.
I knew less than you do when I bought mine 2 years ago.
Thanks! Good thing is I was able to talk to the previous owner, seemed to be on the up and up, he had moved onto a 991 Turbo, and did say the 997.2 was never problematic and he serviced it regularly at the same dealership which records show he did.

Originally Posted by DC911S
Costly potential wear items are brakes (rotors and pads), tires, 40K service (belt, spark plugs, air filters, oil and filter, brake system flush) possibly water pump and coolant reservoir. PPI should look at that and more, does the AC blow cold? PDK serviced? How is the clutch? The 40K service at a dealer is 1500 or so, Indy is less, or you can do yourself with tools and bloody fingers.
Originally Posted by Iceter
DC911S is spot on. The biggest issue you may face is deferred maintenance and the cost of having these services done if you don't know how to do them yourself.

So far, there are relatively few problem areas with the .2s. If you're going to the expense of a PPI, you could go hog wild and get the cylinders scoped to make sure there is no bore scoring, but even that seems to be a very rare occurrence.

Bore scoring (very rare)
Water pump failure

Did I miss any, guys?
This is the stuff I knew you guys would be great in giving advice. I'm going to make sure to look at these in the PPI report. 6MT, so no pdk.

Question Id have is whether any of these issues above are castastrophic if not caught in time. Ill have to look up bore scoring.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:30 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 456 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
This is great advice.

One additional item I would add is to ask the dealer to pull the oil filter, cut it open and inspect for debris. On a .2 you shouldn't lose any oil. It will cost you an extra $30 for the filter, or $150 if they require a full oil change. Based on personal experience I would spend a few extra bucks for piece of mind.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:55 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Thanks guys, moving onto a newer 2011 potentially and will be making sure to take a look at everything. It's CPO'd though this time, so I'm thinking it's relatively all in order.

Quick Reply: Help from my future 997 brethren!