Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 vs 997

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017 | 12:00 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jeffm
I've had my current 997.1 for just over a year and love it. Prior to this, I had a Cayman S for 1.5 years. Unlike the majority of the people in this forum, I preferred driving the Cayman over the 911.

Drive both and try not to let those "it has to be a 911 or it's not a real Porsche" people influence your decision.

Good luck
Its not about real versus not real . . . It is about looks and feel for street car. The new 2017s Caymans and Boxters look pretty decent, but I never liked the looks prior to 2017 and I can drive a 911 just as well as I can drive a Cayman. I don't think anyone is snubbing anything, its just a matter of preference.
Old 08-31-2017 | 12:11 AM
Cattywampus
Advanced

Originally Posted by AfroThunder

Objectively we should all have Caymans, but a 911 is.....a 911 - and you really can't top that!
I think you've said it all with this statement
Old 08-31-2017 | 01:23 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Not a Cayman, but I sold my 2005 Boxster S last Friday. It was my forth Boxster. I bought a 2007 997.1 S back in May. The 911 C2S is my first. Would I trade the 997 for a last of the 6 cylinder Cayman S, maybe.

Until I got the 911 suspension right and a proper alignment the Boxster was simply a better zip around town type car for me. Would I rather do 110 mph in the 911, in my case yes. Is the 911 more 'raw' yes. I only notice cornering differences that need adjustments when I'm making a 90 degree turn on to another road. Braking at the right time into a corner with the 911 comes naturally to me. I'm happy with my decision.

I have driven the 991 S a lot and I even owned a 981. I remember going to the mountains in a 991 S and enjoying the pooh out of it and then getting in my 981 to make the trip home from my buddies house. I have to say I was never disappointed in my Base 981 other than power.

It sounds like you want the 911. If it is well maintained and the suspension setup right or refreshed you'll be happy.

My two cents. I'm on my sixth Porsche and the 997.1 is the most unique experience of them all.
Old 08-31-2017 | 07:54 AM
AfroThunder
Racer

Originally Posted by Cattywampus
I think you've said it all with this statement
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Not a Cayman, but I sold my 2005 Boxster S last Friday. It was my forth Boxster. I bought a 2007 997.1 S back in May. The 911 C2S is my first. Would I trade the 997 for a last of the 6 cylinder Cayman S, maybe.

Until I got the 911 suspension right and a proper alignment the Boxster was simply a better zip around town type car for me. Would I rather do 110 mph in the 911, in my case yes. Is the 911 more 'raw' yes. I only notice cornering differences that need adjustments when I'm making a 90 degree turn on to another road. Braking at the right time into a corner with the 911 comes naturally to me. I'm happy with my decision.

I have driven the 991 S a lot and I even owned a 981. I remember going to the mountains in a 991 S and enjoying the pooh out of it and then getting in my 981 to make the trip home from my buddies house. I have to say I was never disappointed in my Base 981 other than power.

It sounds like you want the 911. If it is well maintained and the suspension setup right or refreshed you'll be happy.

My two cents. I'm on my sixth Porsche and the 997.1 is the most unique experience of them all.
Oh this thread alone has convinced me that if I got into a nice Cayman S, I would be settling (until I'm able to find a 997 to park next to it...too many cars right now, for my garage at least).

Now the question is, C2 or C2S?

Any benefit of the S over the base C2? I've driven plenty of both, both are great, but would love to see your guys take!
Old 08-31-2017 | 11:41 AM
JO911
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure it matters too much between S and base. In the past I always got more excited when I saw a turbo than an S or an S than a base, and I'm still more excited when I see a 911 attached to 996/986 headlights instead of a Boxster. Since I always got more excited to see the S then that's what I wanted to see in the garage too.

Now having owned one I can say I wouldn't be too concerned buying either if I did it over again. There are more S models than base by 3 to 1 so they will be easier to find but I'd really pick the options I wanted and condition and buy what came up first.

One possible caveat is that the 3.6 may be less prone to bore scoring than the 3.8. Here are some other differences:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...carrera-s.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...7-vs-997s.html
Old 08-31-2017 | 12:07 PM
AfroThunder
Racer

Originally Posted by JO911
I'm not sure it matters too much between S and base. In the past I always got more excited when I saw a turbo than an S or an S than a base, and I'm still more excited when I see a 911 attached to 996/986 headlights instead of a Boxster. Since I always got more excited to see the S then that's what I wanted to see in the garage too.

Now having owned one I can say I wouldn't be too concerned buying either if I did it over again. There are more S models than base by 3 to 1 so they will be easier to find but I'd really pick the options I wanted and condition and buy what came up first.

One possible caveat is that the 3.6 may be less prone to bore scoring than the 3.8. Here are some other differences:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...carrera-s.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...7-vs-997s.html
Thanks for the reply, hah! I was browsing those threads early this morning coincidentally. Funny.

Good point about the 3.6 being less prone to scoring. Thank you for that. Like you, options and conditions are more important to me. One can always swap out the tail pipes for a nicer looking dual tip on each side etc etc..

Another good point, when I see a C2 or C2S it's the same to me - It's a sharp looking 997 coupe. When I had my 996TT, I would get excited whenever I saw a turbo over a C2, Targa, or C4. And sure, if I see a Turbo or Turbo S over a C2 or C2S I obviously get more excited about the Turbo.

Ideally, I'd like the 3 spoke sport steering wheel, extended seats (although not a deal breaker), PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose, Xenon's, and whichever radio option is compatible to retrofit an auxiliary port in.
Old 08-31-2017 | 12:34 PM
Para82
Race Car

Wife wants a PDK Cayman. I'm a fan of the 1st gen lines, nice hips. Not so much the newer ones. Wouldn't even consider a Cayman over a 997 (GT4 included) but that's just me.
Old 08-31-2017 | 04:06 PM
zaccers
AutoX

Bought my 05 997 C2 a few months ago and couldn't be happier with my decision. The 3.6 revs a little more easily and you can barely tell the extra shove is missing from the additional 200ccs of displacement.

You've already checked off the important options that the C2 "requires" that come standard on the C2S: headlight upgrade, PASM and Sport Chrono.

I bought my C2 because it had a LOT of parts installed already and at first I was a little hesitant, also thinking that I would miss the 3.8. With full exhaust, intake and tune, I'm not disappointed.

Buy with confidence - there are no "bad" 997s. Just be sure to be diligent in shopping for a car, but buy the best 997 you can. 997.1s are known to be a little more "raw" than the later .2s; especially the base C2 with a manual.
Old 08-31-2017 | 05:14 PM
Cattywampus
Advanced

Bought my speed yellow 07 c2s with pasm, sport chrono, aerokit 3mos ago. best car out of the box I've ever had. Hard to believe it was built on 10yo technology!
Old 08-31-2017 | 05:46 PM
AfroThunder
Racer

Originally Posted by Para82
Wife wants a PDK Cayman. I'm a fan of the 1st gen lines, nice hips. Not so much the newer ones. Wouldn't even consider a Cayman over a 997 (GT4 included) but that's just me.
Well said - I'm going to own both together, but debating which to buy first...and I think it's settled that the 997 won that one. Just a matter of finding a really well specced C2 or a nice C2S...

Originally Posted by zaccers
Bought my 05 997 C2 a few months ago and couldn't be happier with my decision. The 3.6 revs a little more easily and you can barely tell the extra shove is missing from the additional 200ccs of displacement.

You've already checked off the important options that the C2 "requires" that come standard on the C2S: headlight upgrade, PASM and Sport Chrono.

I bought my C2 because it had a LOT of parts installed already and at first I was a little hesitant, also thinking that I would miss the 3.8. With full exhaust, intake and tune, I'm not disappointed.

Buy with confidence - there are no "bad" 997s. Just be sure to be diligent in shopping for a car, but buy the best 997 you can. 997.1s are known to be a little more "raw" than the later .2s; especially the base C2 with a manual.
Thanks for the input...woah, I didn't even notice that the 3.6 revs easier than the 3.8. But all in all it looks like you found what I'm currently looking for! A properly done up C2.

The rawness is the beauty of the 911 though, both my '83 SC Coupe and my 996TT shared that trait. Very raw and visceral, heck, my 944 turbo is raw. I'm sure I'll find the right one in time

Bought my speed yellow 07 c2s with pasm, sport chrono, aerokit 3mos ago. best car out of the box I've ever had. Hard to believe it was built on 10yo technology!
You my friend, have my dream car! Especially if it's Carrara White Probably the most desirable spec on a C2S from factory (regardless of color).

Only one on the market (997.1) under $45k is this one unfortunately. Price is too high for the miles - lack of service history is no bueno.

http://www.triangle-imports.com/2007...1/Details.aspx
Old 08-31-2017 | 05:53 PM
Cattywampus
Advanced

Well said - I'm going to own both together, but debating which to buy first...and I think it's settled that the 997 won that one. Just a matter of finding a really well specced C2 or a nice C2S...

Thanks for the input...woah, I didn't even notice that the 3.6 revs easier than the 3.8. But all in all it looks like you found what I'm currently looking for! A properly done up C2.

The rawness is the beauty of the 911 though, both my '83 SC Coupe and my 996TT shared that trait. Very raw and visceral, heck, my 944 turbo is raw. I'm sure I'll find the right one in time

You my friend, have my dream car! Especially if it's Carrara White Probably the most desirable spec on a C2S from factory (regardless of color).

Only one on the market (997.1) under $45k is this one unfortunately. Price is too high for the miles - lack of service history is no bueno.

http://www.triangle-imports.com/2007...1/Details.aspx
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/2007-arctic-silver-porsche/6285822575.html
Old 08-31-2017 | 05:57 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Okay okay, so now that that's settled....C2 or C2S?

To be honest that's probably the biggest dilemma for me...I've driven both, they're both great. Any reason to lean towards the non-S over the S? (or vice versa)

Options matter over miles for me. Ideally it would have Sport Chrono, PASM, extended seats, and nicer wheels.
You are asking this question on a 997 forum, what do you think the answer is going to be? With that said, go with a 'S' model you will never wonder what the base feels like with the 'S'.

You can get a 981 Cayman S for the price of used 997, that is a better question. The 981 Cayman looks great and performs well.
Old 08-31-2017 | 06:11 PM
AfroThunder
Racer

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/2007-arctic-silver-porsche/6285822575.html
Woah! Is this yours? Interested.

Originally Posted by Ynot
You are asking this question on a 997 forum, what do you think the answer is going to be? With that said, go with a 'S' model you will never wonder what the base feels like with the 'S'.

You can get a 981 Cayman S for the price of used 997, that is a better question. The 981 Cayman looks great and performs well.
Hah, I'm asking on the 997 forum as opposed to the 987 forum for obvious reasons

I've driven a few 981 variants, both PDK and stick - as well as my brother's GT4. Even then I would still say, it's not a 911.

Agreed on the S - if I'm already sold on the 997 why not just go with the 3.8. It boils down to pricing and options.

I haven't been able to find this on any other threads (or maybe I've missed it), but is there a difference in ride height between the S and base C2?
Old 08-31-2017 | 06:48 PM
Cattywampus
Advanced

Woah! Is this yours?
No. You ought to call him. Original owner, no accidents, exclusively serviced by Porsche and GMG. He's got a prospect checking it out Sunday.
Old 09-01-2017 | 09:42 AM
Hi-Arc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
987 nice. I started looking there but wound up in 997 as it roomier, more interesting to drive and looked better. At 6"4 a cayman was too tight.

911 is a fine track car too.

I
I traded a 2006 CaymanS after 3 years of ownership in for my current 2009 997.2S. Would not go back to the Cayman. It's a fun car, easy to drive and track I could not get over its quirky looks. I've always been a fan of bigger sports cars as well. Love the 997 and 991 platforms. Rear engine bias of the 997 is a lot more fun to drive than the neutral Cayman for me. Can't get enough of how the car plants in the corners and accelerates on exit. It's incredible and never felt this with any other car I've owned or tracked and that's a 911! I'm sold on it! Driving experience over the "me too" mid engine platform.

Quick Reply: 987 vs 997