Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 C2 (2011) High pressure fuel pump failed - No warranty, no problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 04:52 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 997.2 C2 (2011) High pressure fuel pump failed - No warranty, no problem!

Wanted to post something positive concerning my dealer and Porsche North America.

As the title says, my high pressure fuel pump failed over the weekend. I was accelerating in second gear, when suddenly I felt a loss of power followed by a "reduced engine power" red warning message on the dash. Car kept running but the gas pedal is limited (electronically) to only a fraction of its normal range.

After shutting the car off and restarting it, I experienced a long crank and once it fired up it idled very rough. The reduced engine power warning came up again immediately. Check engine light came on as well as I was driving back to my house.

A friend with a code reader pulled the codes, and I was able to confirm that it was the high pressure fuel pump.

Even though there is a campaign to replace these on some 997.2's, my car is not included in it (I believe it's only on 2009 and 2010 MY). Additionally, my CPO warranty expired on July 1st of this year. At this point my outlook was very bleak with a $1500+ repair looming. Btw, my car has 34k miles.

Dropped off the car at the dealer on Monday, where my awesome service advisor (Ed Clauss at Braman Porsche Palm Beach) said that he was going to send all the info to Porsche and see what they say. I received a call the next day where he confirmed that Porsche had agreed to pay for the repair in full!!!

To me, this highlights how important it is to have a good relationship with your dealer. This is why I "throw them a bone" occasionally, such as replacing the serpentine belt for $400 even though I know it can be done for MUCH less. Btw, I never changed the oil or did any other scheduled maintenance at the dealer while I was under the CPO warranty.

Obviously, I couldn't be happier. It really amazes me that even though my car is out of warranty, and it's not included in the fuel pump campaign, that Porsche would step up and pay for the entire repair.

I'll pick up my car tomorrow!

Last edited by ATSR; 08-23-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:11 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

Great to hear!!!
Old 08-24-2017, 03:23 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Just picked up my car from the dealer. The bill that Porsche paid for replacing the pump was $2000.

The Cayenne Diesel loaner that they have me since Monday was free of charge as well, including some tolls that I paid during the week.

Thank you Porsche NA and Braman Porsche Palm Beach!!
Old 08-24-2017, 04:21 PM
millertimefl
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep an eye out for leaking coolant over the next few days/weeks. After having my HPF pump replaced, my water pump started leaking...they are right next to each other and the removal of the belt and replacement of pump caused the bushing to start to leak. Just a FYI...
Old 08-24-2017, 04:40 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

A whole lot of people complain about service and warrantee problems they have with dealers. True some dealers are aholes. If you dont get along you should go find the next dealer.
But I always felt it was a better policy to make friends with my dealer and especially the service dept. They can help you alot more than they can hurt you
The following users liked this post:
Jberkley17 (01-31-2020)
Old 08-24-2017, 05:24 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by millertimefl
Keep an eye out for leaking coolant over the next few days/weeks. After having my HPF pump replaced, my water pump started leaking...they are right next to each other and the removal of the belt and replacement of pump caused the bushing to start to leak. Just a FYI...
Thanks for the heads up! I did find it a bit weird that the invoice says that they used a 3.785 liter container of antifreeze as part of the repair.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:11 AM
millertimefl
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSR
Thanks for the heads up! I did find it a bit weird that the invoice says that they used a 3.785 liter container of antifreeze as part of the repair.
Yeah they have to completely drain the coolant system to replace fuel pump. Think they just need to remove hoses to get to it.
Jberkley17 (01-31-2020)

Trending Topics

Old 08-25-2017, 11:20 AM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The model year '09 recall was/is by vin num. Mine wasn't one. HPFP replacement at dealer ( car was towed there) cost me $2200.00. No one offered to broker a deal with Porsche N.A. This is the dealer I bought the car from. I was subsequently due for a PDK clutch oil change and switched dealer. I'm am done with the previous one although I have to travel 100 mile round trip to the new one. Being screwed this way doesn't feel good.
Jberkley17 (01-31-2020)
Old 08-25-2017, 11:52 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ogun228
The model year '09 recall was/is by vin num.
I have a 2009 C2 which I purchased two years ago and which currently has clocked 22K miles. I've since lost all contact with the person that I purchased it from and therefore have no idea if my car falls within the affected models nor if this replacement has already been done.

Needless to my local (and only dealer on the island) is very, very far being cooperative on anything! Hence, does anyone have any documentation as to what VIN numbers were affected?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:37 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Nice to know. Ours was replaced under recall a while back, but my car seems to a little slower cranking in the morning on occasion. I have been curious if this is the first indication of bad fuel pump as battery and starter are solid. I called my buddy who is service manager at local dealer and he just said watch it for now as chances are it will sit there for a few days and not replicate the problem at this point.

I was curious if Porsche he would cover one already replaced under the recall. I have an engine and power train warranty as well.

Was you pump original or replaced as well under the recall.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:04 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

good news, but I would expect no less really
Old 08-25-2017, 07:55 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doug H
Nice to know. Ours was replaced under recall a while back, but my car seems to a little slower cranking in the morning on occasion. I have been curious if this is the first indication of bad fuel pump as battery and starter are solid. I called my buddy who is service manager at local dealer and he just said watch it for now as chances are it will sit there for a few days and not replicate the problem at this point.

I was curious if Porsche he would cover one already replaced under the recall. I have an engine and power train warranty as well.

Was you pump original or replaced as well under the recall.
No, my car is not included in the recall. It had the original pump.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:02 AM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
I have a 2009 C2 which I purchased two years ago and which currently has clocked 22K miles. I've since lost all contact with the person that I purchased it from and therefore have no idea if my car falls within the affected models nor if this replacement has already been done.

Needless to my local (and only dealer on the island) is very, very far being cooperative on anything! Hence, does anyone have any documentation as to what VIN numbers were affected?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
The HPFP was a recall. Enter your vin into NHTSA database and will tell you if your car affected.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
Old 09-05-2017, 01:36 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Not related to HPFP

Originally Posted by mikemessi
The HPFP was a recall. Enter your vin into NHTSA database and will tell you if your car affected.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
The recall search only relates to NHTSA mandatory "safety" recalls. not Porsches voluntary HPFP recalls.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:11 AM
njannsen
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My HPFP on my 2011 Turbo S just failed.

Only have 23k miles and the dealer said it’s going to be $4900 to replace. I have a contact there and they submitted a form or email to Porsche to goodwill it. Nope. So he said I should call Porsche directly.
Does anyone know if this is a recall item? Build date for my 997.2 was in 2010. Anyone have tips on how to get it goodwilled? The pump has to be different in the turbo because they said it was $2800 retail. I was mad to pay $1800 like I saw other folks were having to pay. But $4900?!
Any turbo HPFP failures out there?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 997.2 C2 (2011) High pressure fuel pump failed - No warranty, no problem!