Sponsored by:

Over rev vs insurance -stolen car update

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:34 PM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Over rev vs insurance -stolen car update

I just had a stolen and recovered car checked and it was over revved. 14,600 in range 1, over 300 in range 5.

Does anyone have any experience in getting an insurance company to cover an engine rebuild due to over-revs and damage that isnt apparent yet?

I have not discussed this yet with the adjuster, but would love some info before I do, especially if you have any experience with this or a similar issue.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:42 PM
ilikeyourmom
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ervin881
I just had a stolen and recovered car checked and it was over revved. 14,600 in range 1, over 300 in range 5.

Does anyone have any experience in getting an insurance company to cover an engine rebuild due to over-revs and damage that isnt apparent yet?

I have not discussed this yet with the adjuster, but would love some info before I do, especially if you have any experience with this or a similar issue.
I aha e followed your thread...beautiful car. I hope read that dirtbag gets some time for that.

I DK much about how to read an over rev report but 14,600 in range 1 sounds awful. GL, OP...keep us in the loop.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:59 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

14000 in range 1 wouldn't even almost require a rebuild, that's just a few redline runs.

There was obviously a bad missed shift to get the range 5s but only time can tell if any damage was done and to be honest, everything I've seen indicates that if the money shift broke the car it would have happened more or less immediately. There are tons of 997s living happy and healthy lives with range 5s and 6s on them.

You might pursue some sort of reduced value though since a lot of people avoid 911s with overrevs like the plague. If it had a spotless DME before the thieves just knocked a few grand off your resale.

Glad you got your car back more or less intact though.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:15 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

The range 1 over revs, are nothing more than a genital bump against the rev limiter. Range 5 (way, way over the red line) is really bad and most likely indicates a missed shift or a misplaced shift into 1st gear instead of the intended downshift to 3 gear.

The 300 number beside the range 5 indicates the total number of ignition events. Someone with better math skills than me can figure out how many seconds that amounts to. Probably one or two seconds. Be careful how you present the over rev report to the adjuster. If you look at the report you will see a third number, it indicates how many hours ago the over rev event happened.

You may need me to deal with the adjuster. I can become such a Pitbull bitch that most any adjuster will just cut checks to be rid of me. It’s a talent, I not proud of it, but it does work and comes in handy sometimes.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:16 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Be sure to get the hours info too so you can show that they happened recently.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:19 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 139 Posts

If you can show or get a dealer to write something that the range 5 is bad perhaps you get some cash from the insurance company. But be sure to show the hours when it happened and total hours run, you have to prove the thief did it. You may have to get the dealer to write that up too.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:26 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by jennifer911
The range 1 over revs, are nothing more than a genital bump against the rev limiter.
I would never buy a car with genital bumps. Yuck.

Trending Topics

Old 08-21-2017, 10:29 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
If you can show or get a dealer to write something that the range 5 is bad perhaps you get some cash from the insurance company. But be sure to show the hours when it happened and total hours run, you have to prove the thief did it. You may have to get the dealer to write that up too.
I mean, regardless of what seems to happen in real life, the factory documents/guides I've seen floating on the internet say something like "Range 5: Damage almost certain to have occurred." Might be enough to convince the insurance people.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:18 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Call your Pcar dealer and ask if those numbers are Ok for a CPO car.

Please give us the details on the dirtbag. Then make sure the DA has the information so you are compensated at sentencing. I got hit by a drunk long time ago. Everything was going in his favor until I stood up at his trial and said, "What about me?" It was like someone bumped the jukebox.

Judge held the drunk until I was compensated by his insurance (they never filed a claim....shocking). 3 days later I got a check.......6 days later I informed the court that I got the check.

Im not saying you will get any money, but it will be another thing hangin over his head in case he does clean up.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:26 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

When did the over revs occur? That's step 1. The DME has the answers.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:31 PM
Monster231
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jennifer911

The 300 number beside the range 5 indicates the total number of ignition events. Someone with better math skills than me can figure out how many seconds that amounts to. Probably one or two seconds. Be careful how you present the over rev report to the adjuster. If you look at the report you will see a third number, it indicates how many hours ago the over rev event happened.
360 ignitions per second.

it spent less than a second in range 5
Old 08-22-2017, 12:14 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

I doubt you'll get a rebuild out of it unless it has issues already. Maybe the dealer can do compression and leak down test. The main concern I would
think would be that the rod bolts have been put under stress.

You'll have to fight to get anything but I'm sure some diminished value based on lack of CPO status and resale hit.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:31 AM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

OP this may help you

997 Carrera
--------------------
Range 1: > 7300 and < 7500
Range 2: > 7500 and < 7700
Range 3: > 7700 and < 7900
Range 4: > 7900 and < 8400
Range 5: > 8400 and < 9500
Range 6: > 9500

7800 rpm / 60 seconds = 130 rps x 3 ignitions per revolution = 390 ignitions per second.
Divide your DME ignitions (38) by 390 and you get the 0.097 seconds - a blink of the eye.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:42 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

Hella-Buggin, Case law in Washington (like almost all states) does not support a diminished value claim between the 1st party (you) and your own insurance company (the 2nd party) like it does between you and the 3rd party (the at fault driver and his insurance co). The language in your policy (contract law) very carefully excludes it.

Ervin 881, the DME rev report also states the total hours of engine operation and how many hours ago the over-rev incidence happened. This may support your engine damage claim or not, (If the over-rev happened hundreds of hours ago, maybe long before you acquired the car). Best not to talk about these things on social media. However, since you use a screen name here, your insurance company will not be privy to any details.

I’ve always been good at getting technicians to write up any diagnostic report that I want. Your tech could possibly hear a tick in the engine and write a report that states “that due to abuse (‘driving it like you stole it’) the engine now has a terminal case of cylinder bore scoring”.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:07 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Please post the time that the range 5 event took place and the total hours on the engine from the report otherwise we are speculating. Assuming the over revs happened while the vehicle was stolen I think you will have an uphill battle with the insurance company getting them to pay for damage that has not manafested or shown symptoms. There are several possible issue from an over rev that high and it should not make you feel better that it happen for "only" a second. Your engine was operating at over 1000 rpms higher than its limit and damage can occur in that time frame.

Quick Reply: Over rev vs insurance -stolen car update